Remove previously synced contacts.

altjx

Reaction score
I set up my phone using my gmail account, and opted to sync contacts as well. However, I later added this account to my Email app because I wanted active sync too. So I had two accounts syncing the same contacts.

My problem is that some contacts in my phone now are "Joined" as if they're two separate contacts from two separate email sources. Is there any way I can remove contacts that were either synced via corporate sync or via Google? If that makes sense.

On a side note, I don't even know why the same email syncs sometimes different or additional information for the same contact. I may have a contact from corporate sync that has the person's job title and then the second joined one from the Google account doesn't have this, yet they have the same number. Very odd.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I actually just ran across a contact that has (although not duplicate in contact list) 4 joined contacts, all have the EXACT same information and coming from the same Google account. Why are there joined entries of the same account and same person?

jeff70

Reaction score
turn off the sync on your phone, then log into Gmail on your PC and edit the contacts how you want, turn back on sync on your phone so that the updated contact list will propagate to your phone (FYI if you have allot of contacts it may take a little time for them to sync up to your phone)

you can use the Toggle: Power control widget to easily turn on/off sync

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
turn off the sync on your phone, then log into Gmail on your PC and edit the contacts how you want, turn back on sync on your phone so that the updated contact list will propagate to your phone (FYI if you have allot of contacts it may take a little time for them to sync up to your phone)

you can use the Toggle: Power control widget to easily turn on/off sync

Well, here's the thing. The contacts are exactly how I want them. For example, if I logon to the https://www.google.com/contacts, there's only one entry of this specific person. However, if I go to my contacts on my android phone, and I go to menu > edit contact, I can see that this person has 3 or 4 contacts in there that are basically joined together.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Go to that contact on your phone, select edit, and unjoin the contact from itself. Then delete the other three copies of it.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Go to that contact on your phone, select edit, and unjoin the contact from itself. Then delete the other three copies of it.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

This is the approach I would take, but this is the case with plenty of the contacts :/

jeff70

Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. The contacts are exactly how I want them. For example, if I logon to the https://www.google.com/contacts, there's only one entry of this specific person. However, if I go to my contacts on my android phone, and I go to menu > edit contact, I can see that this person has 3 or 4 contacts in there that are basically joined together.

as long as you have all your info like you want correctly on mail.google.com (Gmail), you can try the same procedure I outlined above with the changes: important turn off sync on the phone, delete all the contacts on your phone (or just the ones you want to get rid of multiple entries), turn back on sync to get the list of contacts you have on Gmail back onto your phone and see if that gets rid of the multiple entries

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmm, I don't know if this will work but... you backup to gmail right? Try this... backup to backup assistant, modify the list from Verizon's web site, then send the new list to your phone, then wipe your gmail list, and resync it with the new list..

Wow that's labor intensive though....

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Good suggestions! Let me try this!

papaford1963

Reaction score
I had the same issue before.. Try going to contact-display options and unchecking all contacts in all of your accounts listed other than your gmail acct.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
That's actually how I had it set up with still a few people showing as being joined to themselves. Lol.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
There's no way to delete all contacts? Even the ones from Facebook are still there and I unselected the Sync for facebook.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I used an app called "Delete all contacts" fixed my issue woot.

thejawn

Reaction score
I installed Carddav and had my contacts linked with Google, I fixed this by:

Removing Google account
Re-add my existing Google account
While it was signing in I hit cancel (before it could sync)
Then went to Settings, under Accounts - Google, then tapping my account and removing contacts from syncing.

Now just my Carddav contacts show up. Mission Accomplished