Remove DRRRROID brand sound from startup

colonel51

Reaction score
Droid Incredible

Droid Incredible users must navigate to:

System/customize/resource

and then find VZW_Droid.mp3

rename that file to VZW_Droid.old

(All steps above must be done in Root Explorer. If you are not rooted, go here: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.22)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I installed a custom Boot Animation to get rid of it :)

I still have some custom boot animations from my Droid X will they work on the pro?

jamesondroid

Reaction score
ah crap... the wheels are spinning now.

does that mean I can change that sound? D2G and I thought I just read it couldnt be changed?

when the seals broke, its broke... "crossposting" :icon_eek:

jhumbo

Reaction score
If you are uncomfortable with rooting, then you may not wish to proceed, but these steps make minimal modifications and are what I used to remove the DDDRRRROIIIID sound (as well as the camera click sound) and then return the phone to an unrooted state.

1. I downloaded Z4root on my PC, then moved it to the SD Card over the USB cable. After installing and rooting using Z4root, I looked for the "Root Explorer" app that people refer to, but all I found was a paid app that I didn't feel like paying for.

2. Since I am quite comfortable with Linux, instead of "Root Explorer", I used "Android Terminal Emulator" (you can find it on the Android Market) and performed the following commands in order to rename the two files (droid.ogg and camera_click.ogg).

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cd /system/media
mv droid.ogg droid.orig
cd /system/media/audio/ui
mv camera_click.ogg camera_click.orig
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
sync
reboot
The boot DDDRROIIIDDD sound and the camera click sounds are now both gone.

3. I then went back into Z4root and unrooted. So far so good.

Last edited:

DickFoto

Reaction score
If you are uncomfortable with rooting, then you may not wish to proceed, but these steps make minimal modifications and are what I used to remove the DDDRRRROIIIID sound (as well as the camera click sound) and then return the phone to an unrooted state.

1. I downloaded Z4root on my PC, then moved it to the SD Card over the USB cable. After installing and rooting using Z4root, I looked for the "Root Explorer" app that people refer to, but all I found was a paid app that I didn't feel like paying for.

2. Since I am quite comfortable with Linux, instead of "Root Explorer", I used "Android Terminal Emulator" (you can find it on the Android Market) and performed the following commands in order to rename the two files (droid.ogg and camera_click.ogg).

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cd /system/media
mv droid.ogg droid.orig
cd /system/media/audio/ui
mv camera_click.ogg camera_click.orig
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
sync
reboot
The boot DDDRROIIIDDD sound and the camera click sounds are now both gone.

3. I then went back into Z4root and unrooted. So far so good.

I tried this but got a permission denied error on the su command. Suggestions?

Thanks!

jhumbo

Reaction score
I tried this but got a permission denied error on the su command. Suggestions?

Thanks!

If you got a permission denied on the su command then that means your phone was not rooted. Are you sure you successfully placed Z4Root on the SDCard and ran it with the root option? I used the "permanent root" option rather than the "temporary root" option. I had read on here that some other folks had trouble with the temporary root.

Shri

Reaction score
Still no non-root solutions to this? I've taken to removing the battery before going into meetings (huge bummer, playing on the phone during meetings is half the reason I have a smartphone) for fear of the random reboot and DROOOIIIIDDD sound. Shame on Motorola.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Still no non-root solutions to this? I've taken to removing the battery before going into meetings (huge bummer, playing on the phone during meetings is half the reason I have a smartphone) for fear of the random reboot and DROOOIIIIDDD sound. Shame on Motorola.

Can't you just mute your media volume prior to the meeting? I always have my media volume down, because there have been several times I've had the phone on silent, but went to play a game, and then the sound came blaring through. I just turn it up when I need it, then turn it right back down. Before rooting and renaming the file, I never had the Droid sound upon booting up because the media volume was down.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score

Can't you just mute your media volume prior to the meeting? I always have my media volume down, because there have been several times I've had the phone on silent, but went to play a game, and then the sound came blaring through. I just turn it up when I need it, then turn it right back down. Before rooting and renaming the file, I never had the Droid sound upon booting up because the media volume was down.

Doesn't work on the Pro in my experience.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Doesn't work on the Pro in my experience.

Strange. Before renaming the files, every time I rebooted my Pro when the media volume was muted (additionally, I almost always have my phone on vibrate or silent, so maybe that had some effect), there was no Droid sound.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about muting system volume?

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

jhumbo

Reaction score
The problem is that on the Pro, muting the system volume does not turn off the DROID startup sound. You would think it should, but it does not.