Remove Advanced Task Killer from the droid x

luv2increase

Reaction score
lol

The screen using up 78% of the power is a PERFECT testament to the utility of Autostarts and ATK used together.

Screen brightness is not an application that can be killed lol rofl lol

Yeah, I get that. Your battery life sucks, turn your screen down.

Oh boy...

That is using my phone nonstop for that amount of time with the screen on full brightness. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's nice. Seriously, what theme is that?

It went 6.5 hours of 97% full use with screen on full brightness. That is far from sucking.

Droid928 Black Glass for FROYO deodexed.

johaBBa

Reaction score
I wonder how many people read this thread and got the vibe that ATK is bad for their phone?

I use ATK everyday, but I use it correctly. The problems with ATK which people talk about in this thread are not an issue on my phone.

On my phone, ATK only kills stuff when I lock my phone. This is when I want stuff shutdown so that there is no lag when I use my phone next. ATK is only set to shutdown the few apps that I know are still eating battery after I lock: a few games mostly.

I did this after reading all of the stickied posts about task killers in this forum. Reading helps.....

DroidX101

Reaction score
I uninstalled mine last night, and usually I take it off charge in the morning and by the time I get to work i'm at 80% already. Just checked it been off charge about 45min, and I'm still at 100%. So far so good, but Ill see how she does as the day goes on.

sullfam

Reaction score
hey guys i've been using atk now for awhile and i just found this thread and i used the kill all function alot? have i done permenant damage to my phone like this?

I wonder how many people read this thread and got the vibe that ATK is bad for their phone?

I use ATK everyday, but I use it correctly. The problems with ATK which people talk about in this thread are not an issue on my phone.

For example, after I turn on my phone, ATK will not even show any open, available processes which it can kill.

The problem with using ATK incorrectly is that when a user opens it up, they will see all kinds of open processes, they will kill them, go about their merry business, and finally reopen ATK later on only to find all those same processes they had just previously killed open again. The apps automatically opened up all over again by themselves! If a user doesn't know how to stop all this automatic reopening of the apps, YES, ATK will just end up causing ur battery to drain faster.

ATK will not cause any instability problems on your phone unless you leave it running 24/7. This is the #2 mistake people make when using ATK. Never let ATK run 24/7. Leave the ATK icon on your main homescreen. When you want to close your apps, it will only take 2 seconds to then do so.

It really is a shame that the people who don't know how to use ATK the right way are wronvfully giving the program a had rap. It can be the best app on your phone if you let it be :)

Hi there,

Thanks for the posts. I am learning a lot. You state, " If a user doesn't know how to stop all this automatic reopening of the apps, YES, ATK will just end up causing ur battery to drain faster." Is there a way to make apps that I don't even use STOP opening in the background? Any insight would be appreciated.

Marty

luv2increase

Reaction score
hey guys i've been using atk now for awhile and i just found this thread and i used the kill all function alot? have i done permenant damage to my phone like this?

For example, after I turn on my phone, ATK will not even show any open, available processes which it can kill.

The problem with using ATK incorrectly is that when a user opens it up, they will see all kinds of open processes, they will kill them, go about their merry business, and finally reopen ATK later on only to find all those same processes they had just previously killed open again. The apps automatically opened up all over again by themselves! If a user doesn't know how to stop all this automatic reopening of the apps, YES, ATK will just end up causing ur battery to drain faster.

ATK will not cause any instability problems on your phone unless you leave it running 24/7. This is the #2 mistake people make when using ATK. Never let ATK run 24/7. Leave the ATK icon on your main homescreen. When you want to close your apps, it will only take 2 seconds to then do so.

It really is a shame that the people who don't know how to use ATK the right way are wronvfully giving the program a had rap. It can be the best app on your phone if you let it be :)

Hi there,

Thanks for the posts. I am learning a lot. You state, " If a user doesn't know how to stop all this automatic reopening of the apps, YES, ATK will just end up causing ur battery to drain faster." Is there a way to make apps that I don't even use STOP opening in the background? Any insight would be appreciated.

Marty

There is a program called autostarts. It is the best thing since sliced bread for rooted android phones.

If you use atk without it, you are almost guaranteed to drain your battery faster no matter how to use atk.

Aohus

Reaction score
ATK's should NOT be used. Its also redundant, as that tool is readily available natively in Android (Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications). The only time you'd want to use ATK is if certain process isn't working correctly.

20% battery life remaining after 4 hours is pretty bad, even with heavy usage. I'm running no task killers, using stock battery, and I'm able to pull over a day of usage with moderate-heavy use. (1hr+ talk time, flash content, camera, web).

3g on all day, gps on all day, some wifi, auto-brightness, bluetooth disabled

SJMHP.jpg

Last edited:

luv2increase

Reaction score
ATK's should NOT be used. Its also redundant, as that tool is readily available natively in Android (Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications). The only time you'd want to use ATK is if certain process isn't working correctly.

20% battery life remaining after 4 hours is pretty bad, even with heavy usage. I'm running no task killers, using stock battery, and I'm able to pull over a day of usage with moderate-heavy use. (1hr+ talk time, flash content, camera, web).

SJMHP.jpg

Don't you understand that nothing is redundant if you use it correctly? The redundancy which used to be a pitfall of ATK was that the apps you closed would automatically restart themselves.

Energy used to be wasted:
1. Closing the apps
2. Having the apps automatically restart themselves

IF you use it correctly with Autostarts, those two issues are not an issue anymore.

You are spewing the general knowledge of yesteryear. It is not yesteryear anymore. UNTIL YOU HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT, YOU CAN NOT SPEAK ON IT.

fyi, your battery utilization screenshot without ATK looks dreadful. If you used ATK correctly, it would look much better. Looking at your screenshot is a testament why someone would want to use ATK :icon_ banana:

Aohus

Reaction score
You are spewing the general knowledge of yesteryear. It is not yesteryear anymore. UNTIL YOU HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT, YOU CAN NOT SPEAK ON IT.

I actually have used ATK when I first got the Droid X. Until it started crashing, and the phone was running hot. It's the common misconception, to get a task killer to end processes a la Windows/OSX. But thats just wrong, its not how Android works. There is already an inherent task killer at kernel level that is ending processes. Repeatedly autokilling tasks is only further draining the battery. Your own screenshot is stunning evidence of this.

You've already been exposed on another forum and banned, and you're repeatedly spreading misinformation on other boards. Its getting a bit ridiculous.

luv2increase

Reaction score

I actually have used ATK when I first got the Droid X. Until it started crashing, and the phone was running hot. It's the common misconception, to get a task killer to end processes a la Windows/OSX. But thats just wrong, its not how Android works. There is already an inherent task killer at kernel level that is ending processes. Repeatedly autokilling tasks is only further draining the battery. Your own screenshot is stunning evidence of this.

You've already been exposed on another forum and banned, and you're repeatedly spreading misinformation on other boards. Its getting a bit ridiculous.

1. You have used ATK without Autostarts.

2. You have used ATK in a manner which is incorrect. It is apparent you left ATK running 24/7. You shouldn't do this. You should let Android take care of the memory management.

3. You should also set ATK to "safe" mode so it doesn't end any "vital" system processes.

When you get some hands-on experience with using ATK the correct way, then come back here and let me know what you think. Until then, let those with experience and understand do the talking.

It is "common" sense that there is "always" a right way and a wrong way of doing just about anything in life. You are judging ATK based upon the "wrong" way of using it. How can you make an informed decision on ATK in this manner? You can't.

Ad-hominem attacks is not going to get your point across either. I was "temporarily" banned on DroidXForums for being disrespectful to a moderator. That has nothing to do with "misinformation". Start being mature, please.

My whole goal is learning as much as I can in every way possible about the Android OS. Then, it is to take that knowledge and spread it around to the Android communities. The point is to let people in on ways of having the BEST possible Android computing experience that is physically possible.

Last edited: