Remotely lock phone app?

VirtualGeek

Reaction score
Is there an app that you can use to totally lock your phone up remotely? I do use the security pin, but i'd still like something like this....

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
theres also mobile defense if you wanna compare but i use WS

OP
VirtualGeek

VirtualGeek

Reaction score
Wave Secure is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

xtremecanefan

Reaction score
I noticed on the wave secure site a lot of the locking/tracking features require a SIM card to be changed, but Verizon does not use SIM cards so how do those features work?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I noticed on the wave secure site a lot of the locking/tracking features require a SIM card to be changed, but Verizon does not use SIM cards so how do those features work?

what features are you trying to change? wavesecure uses a PIN on my phone to get into the settings

pyro6128

Reaction score
Wavesecure for the win! And no sim card is needed for all of the features to works. The uninstall protection is also a big plus

xtremecanefan

Reaction score

what features are you trying to change? wavesecure uses a PIN on my phone to get into the settings

I just meant for the security features. Such as:

Our mobile security service will automatically lock your phone once it detects a SIM change

and

Once WaveSecure detects the insertion of a new SIM card, your buddy will get a SMS alert so you can contact the person who has found or stolen your device.

Both of these features require a SIM card to be changed but the Moto Droid does not use one...

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
We are happy to announce that WaveSecure SMS gateway in the US is now live! This means WaveSecure users in the US will no longer get international text charges when performing remote commands from the web site.

This took a while because setting up our own server was a little more complicated that anticipated. Also, we ran into a snag when the operators blocked us for sending way too many texts. These issues are now sorted and the gateway is stable.

So give WaveSecure a spin and if there are still kinks to work out, do let us know. We would also like to thank all those who helped with testing the US gateway. You guys rock!

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

DrScrubs

Reaction score
WaveSecure lets you control your phone with text messages so you can use a friend's phone to lock your phone down. You have to use a computer with Mobile Defense. +1 for WaveSecure.

MD tracks the location of your phone by using Google Maps and gives you the current address your phone is at (within the accuracy of your GPS). WS tries to do this but does not give you an address. This may be because they are sending you text messages from Singapore. Also, I believe the tracking is live once you connect to your phone from the website so you can see the phone on the move. WS tracks the location of your phone with each individual request and isn't constant. +1.5 Mobile Defense.

As far as I know there is no data wipe for MD for now. +2 for WaveSecure because wipe is a HUGE deal. And with wipe WS also has backup and restore.

WS uses a software lock screen that displays a custom message you choose. Hitting the "Home" button will temporarily close that lock screen for 2-3 seconds but that lock screen will come back. MD uses your pattern lock. They claim this is more secure in that a software lock can be bypassed if you start your phone is safe mode. I have not tested if specifically the software lock for WS is indeed bypassable with a safe mode boot. For now I call this a draw.

Battery: I actually have both MD and WS installed on my phone and there is no battery drain from having both. Tie for this one.

Cost: WS is $20 a year. MD is free because it is still in beta. Can't give a rating here because I don't know how much MD will charge in the future

I don't use iTag so I don't know how good it is but from reviews on the Market it seems like it is a massive battery drain.

Sent Using Tapatalk

DrScrubs

Reaction score

The lock on removal of SIM card is an added bonus for phones with SIM cards. You do not need to have a SIM card to us WS. You can lock by text message or from the website. All features will work.

Running WS on Verizon Droid currently.

Sent Using Tapatalk

rpotato

Reaction score
Possibly slightly off topic here, but....

Is there a way with WaveSecure or a similar application to remotely lock the phone via email? The reason I am asking is that I currently cannot utilize SMS and it blocked at the account level with VZW. There is a full unlimited data plan on the account...just no SMS.

EperDeVega

Reaction score
Help

Hi all,
We are happy to announce that WaveSecure SMS gateway in the US is now live! This means WaveSecure users in the US will no longer get international text charges when performing remote commands from the web site.

This took a while because setting up our own server was a little more complicated that anticipated. Also, we ran into a snag when the operators blocked us for sending way too many texts. These issues are now sorted and the gateway is stable.

So give WaveSecure a spin and if there are still kinks to work out, do let us know. We would also like to thank all those who helped with testing the US gateway. You guys rock!

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

please help me unlock my phone, i tried logging in the website but the user name and password was incorrect, my buddy haven't receive the text message either for 5 hours. thank you. please help me