Remotely control a Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by av8shunmeckaneck, Nov 8, 2009.

1. av8shunmeckaneck

av8shunmeckaneck New Member

I would like to remotely control the music on my Droid. I want to mount a Bluetooth remote on my motorcycle handle bars that will start, stop and skip fwd and backward.

I have seen devices like the Jabra B3030 that sorta do this but only with the headphones plugged into the controller. I would rather have the earbuds plugged into the the Droid and control the music via remote.

If I were to use something like a Jabra B3030 is it possible to just plug the earbuds into the phone and use the 3030 as a remote?

I'm not sure what the rules Bluetooth AVRCP are but I'm thinking that with something like the Jabra B3030 connected it would disable the headphone jack output. Is there a way to keep the headphone jack enabled with a device like the Jabra B3030 connected?

Thanks for any help. I am new to Android from a Palm 700P which was GREAT but I really like my new Droid!!! :motdroidvert:
  2. andjarnic

andjarnic New Member

I am a bit away from exploring bluetooth and wifi.. but if every aspect of this phone (thus OS) is reachable... I would assume that there is a way to actually work with the bluetooth or wifi data coming to it to control an app. However, I am unsure yet of a sort of "driver" app that can listen for bluethooth/wifi data, then use it to control yet another app, such as the media player. I would imagine it is possible tho.
  3. AcidBurn

AcidBurn New Member

That sounds really cool though.
  4. rlittle66

rlittle66 New Member

With Linux All is possible, you just need to find someone interested in developing it :)
  5. sixtytwo

sixtytwo New Member

Totally agree. Right now when I'm on my bike, the only thing I can control is the volume.

I was thinking of a hack that made it so you can use the camera button as the music control (1 click play/pause, 2 clicks next song, 3 clicks last song), since that button isn't doing anything anyway when the phone is locked.
  6. cc16177

cc16177 New Member

I have a set of Sony bluetooth earbuds that have a little dongle thing which has somewhat of a joystick where if I click the joystick up in and out it is play/pause, up and down is volume control and left or right skips forward or backward.

Is that what you are looking for? The phone can obviously be anywhere so you can leave it in your jacket pocket (which is what I do when I go running) and then the dongle has a belt clip attached to it and you can just clip it to your belt.

If you are interested I can check tomorrow and see what the model is, they were about $80.

Oh, and they sound FANTASTIC. I am a BIG sound nut (have a $3,000 surround sound) so I can actually tell the difference between good sound and bad sound.

Oh and no the surround sound is not Bose I am not a fan of Bose at all.
  7. av8shunmeckaneck

Jabra BT3030

The Jabra BT3030 is exactly what I want, as long as I can plug my earbuds into the phone and the controller will still function. I want the phone in my jacket pocket and the remote mounted on the handle bars without wires from the remote to my helmet.

I just emailed Jabra to ask them if the device will still control the phone without earbuds/headphones connected. I will post back to this thread when I get a reply with a couple of days.
  8. av8shunmeckaneck

Jabra Reply

This is what Fred has to say about it :

Hello Steve,

I'm afraid that this way it won't work. Not with the Jabra headset and any other (though you can check with your phone's manufacturer). Once you have connected a Bluetooth device, the phone will stop streaming sounds trough any other via

Thank you for choosing Jabra.

Regards,
    Fred
    Jabra
  9. Arkainzeye

Arkainzeye New Member

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but what kinda motorcycle do you have. and i was wondering how were you going to safely mount it? That i would like to see photos of!
  10. wil20mva

wil20mva New Member

You may need to use a frankenstein of a configuration. I understand the Droid is probably not able to doit it right out of the box and you may have to find a developer but you may be able to do it using two or more BT devices, your BT3030 and the transmitter of the Logitech FreePulse Wireless Headphones paired with SONY BT100CXBL. If my memory serves me right, the transmitter is able to pair with other devices. The phone will stream to the bt3030, the transmitter will be plugged into the jack and transmit the sound to the paired sony headset. You'll get your sound and you can control it. I think i have a transmitter laying around so I may test this out on my own. I have the Moto s705 connected to an 3.5 jack routed in my car that throws out the audio through my car speakers. I have the droid mount and have a touchscreen multimedia station with streaming bt through my car speakers. It's awesome. All without wires. Let me know if this works.
  11. efripp

efripp New Member

Liquidaux

The Kensington Liquidaux Blutooth car kit (not iPod kit) for music phones worked very well for this purpose. It's cheap! It has a remote that is very compact but still easy to operate with riding gloves on. I comes with a "steering wheel remote mount" that can be adapted for multiple mounting locations on your bike. The speaker phone is horrible, but the music streaming is great! You can disable the "hands-free phone mode" for the device in android, but it re-enables every time you connect the device. Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit with Remote for Music Phones: Cell Phones & Service
Search tags for this page
blue tooth music controler droid motorcycle

bluetooth handlebar remote

bluetooth handlebar remote control

bluetooth music control for motorcycle handlebar

bluetooth remote android motorcycle

bluetooth remote for motorcycle

bluetooth remote phone motocycle

droid x remote reset command

how to hack android phone remotely

jabra 3030 android

motorcycle handlebar bluetooth remote