Remote Access to Home PC

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've done my searching on the internet for a way to remotely access my home PC from my Droid X and have not come up with a way using Windows 7 Home Premium and not paying for any programs. Is it possible? I want to actually be able to see my desktop and open files etc from my Droid X.

Thanks.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Install a free FTP server on your home PC and use a Free FTP app from your phone... There are no free RDC apps for android that I know of. But you can always set directories on the FTP server. Either way, Remote Desktop is a great app and worth the money if you can swing it. It was my first paid app, used it on my G1

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Yep VNC is the free way to do it. But be prepared to learn how to do port forwarding on your router to get it to work. Once you have that, VNC works just like RDP.

Look into a VNC setup. I have not done it myself but sure there is a way.

OP
BalistikBill

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think the ftp thing sounds good to just control the files and I think I may end up having to break down and pay for a program to remote. I was looking intinto vpn last night and messed with port forwarding. Still couldn't gain access. Is vnc easier than vpn.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks guys. I think the ftp thing sounds good to just control the files and I think I may end up having to break down and pay for a program to remote. I was looking intinto vpn last night and messed with port forwarding. Still couldn't gain access. Is vnc easier than vpn.

No matter what you do if your behind a router you'll need to either

A. Port Forward
or;
B. Put your PC in the DMZ. <--- easiest but makes your system more vulnerable to outside attacks. (not like it matters these days anyways)

If you go the FTP route forward port 21 to your PC's Lan IP (usually 192.168.XXX.XXX)

If you go the RDP route forward port 3389.

Or DMZ the PC and you'll be good.

Either way, good luck. If you need any help once you pick an FTP client/server shoot me a PM.

OP
BalistikBill

BalistikBill

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Ultimate now, was able to download :). I still am not able to connect via droid. I have set it up in the remote connections settings to allow outside connections, but I think I'm somehow being blocked. If I setup a VNC server it says Not Accepting connections or not listening, but it should show the IP. Any thoughts?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have Windows 7 Ultimate now, was able to download :). I still am not able to connect via droid. I have set it up in the remote connections settings to allow outside connections, but I think I'm somehow being blocked. If I setup a VNC server it says Not Accepting connections or not listening, but it should show the IP. Any thoughts?

You behind a router? Also, VNC and RDP are 2 different protocols. RDP requires an RDC application (remote desktop, phone my pc, etc) VNC requires a VNC Viewer app.

Also, check your windows firewall settings. Its a PITA to setup a VNC. Something about extra 3rd party software just makes it fun. The best way to do it is to run RDP. Its secure, faster, and its reliable. Ive never had any issues with it.

Right click on my computer. Go to properties. Enable remote connections (default user name is already enabled, make sure you have a password set on the account)

After that, Login to your router via web browser on the pc and type in either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. It will bring up your router. The default accounts are u: admin pw: password or u: admin pw: admin. Once logged in look for either Port forwarding or DMZ settings. Add the PC to the DMZ or forward port 3389 to your PC's Lan IP. Apply the settings.

Then, Install Remote Desktop via the market. ($15 i think) Add your external IP (go to whatismyip.com on your PC) type in the username/pw you set and your done.

Thats a very crude write up, but it should work.

OP
BalistikBill

BalistikBill

Reaction score
This totally worked, I had tried to setup the port forwarding previously, but didn't add the PC to my LAN network. Now the free RPD program I'm using won't pull up keyboard so I can't get past the login screen for windows 7 LOL. Guess I'll have to buy one.

roshambo14

Reaction score
I am using Remote RDP Lite on a Windows 7 Professional system and it works like a charm. Just a little fyi :)

OP
BalistikBill

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for your help! The keyboard wasn't working because I was using an aftermaket keyboard. Switched it to the stock keyboard and it worked perfectly. Got my VNC setup as well. Droids Rock!

Stone23

Reaction score
LogMeIn

Logmein is a pretty sweet app. Use it on all my computers and now my DX