Remember This?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
90756005.jpg

After 40 years, Sony announced they will discontinue selling Betamax cassettes and supplies.
Apparently, Sony has been selling these products in Japan for 4 decades. But don't worry you Betamax die hards, you can still buy all the cassettes and cleaning tapes you will ever need until next March.

Source: Sony

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
90756005.jpg

After 40 years, Sony announced they will discontinue selling Betamax cassettes and supplies.
Apparently, Sony has been selling these products in Japan for 4 decades. But don't worry you Betamax die hards, you can still buy all the cassettes and cleaning tapes you will ever need until next March.

I'm sure majority of the forum members here don't even know what you are talking about. The VCR is a foreign term now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And Betamax is even more foreign, lol! I can't believe you can still get cassettes for it. I'll have to tell my brother. I bet he still has his.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. Can't say I've ever seen one in person. We had VCRs as long as I can remember. I saw an old school laser disc player when I spent the night at a friend's house once. The kind where the disc was the size of a vinyl record.

I'm honestly not surprised that they're still using these in Japan either. I guess VHS didn't quite win the war as well as we all thought all this time...

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Wow! Can't believe these are still around. Never actually owned a player but i do have a couple of the tapes i bought as Star Trek collectibles. I also have a couple of HD DVDs as well for the same reason and of course VHS tapes too. My wife says I never knew when to throw things away. LOL

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We had a beta. It would eat PB&J sandwiches like a beast.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time I had tons and tons of DVD's and I was proud of my collection. Now they collect dust in favor of just getting the content I want over the Internet (usually by legal means :D).

Streaming media is the future.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Once upon a time I had tons and tons of DVD's and I was proud of my collection. Now they collect dust in favor of just getting the content I want over the Internet (usually by legal means :D).

Streaming media is the future.
Wait! You can get content over the internet legally?? Wow! Who knew? LOL

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
90756005.jpg

I owned a betamax very similar to that back in 1984 or 1985 and sold it to a techie friend in the early 90s. Against all odds, he has it still functional in 2015. Nothing wrong with using it - he enjoys tinkering with old equipment.

sent from my Note ll using Magic