Remember the Milk Issue's

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey folks!

I bought RTM Pro account and havent figuered out 2 Things on my setup.

When wifey sends in a task via email, how can i be notified on my device?

How can i set RTM up so that, if i do some of wifeys tasks, she gets an email back about the status?

Tigger
:icon_ banana:

mpenda

Reaction score
Wait, if she sends you a task via email, don't you see the email on your device?? If she's able to add a task to your ID, you can see it when it syncs. And if she puts a due date, it'll pop-up based upon your reminder preferences.
Not sure about how to notify her....don't recall ever seeing anything on "completed tasks" notification.
Did you try the RTM forums?

Last edited:
OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Wait, if she sends you a task via email, don't you see the email on your device?? If she's able to add a task to your ID, you can see it when it syncs. And if she puts a due date, it'll pop-up based upon your reminder preferences.
Not sure about how to notify her....don't recall ever seeing anything on "completed tasks" notification.
Did you try the RTM forums?

Hey,

i dont get any notification on my device, that she added a new task to RTM via mail.

well, think ill hit the RTM forums!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I bought RTM Pro account and havent figuered out 2 Things on my setup.

When wifey sends in a task via email, how can i be notified on my device?

How can i set RTM up so that, if i do some of wifeys tasks, she gets an email back about the status?

Tigger
:icon_ banana:

Interesting questions RTT. I'm also using an RTMPro account and am exploring its uses.

As to your questions, I'd be interested in the responses, as well. Some thoughts:

() Notification of wifey's tasks. Not sure I want to let my wife know about this, but it's an interesting idea. If I understand your question, you want some notification other than simply the fact that a task has shown up in your task list and is displayed in your daily email.

I don't find any way to do this in RTM (based on a very quick scan of the help and forum) but here's a work around. Have your wife include your gmail (or other) email account in addition to your RTM email address when she sends the task. That would give you notification without requiring you to check RTM.

() Notification of completed status. This is another interesting idea. In general, I haven't completely mastered the complexity of showing/reporting on "completed tasks" in RTM. I know I can search for and display them, but I'd prefer a strikethrough when I complete a task rather than have it disappear as it does by default. (Gives me a false sense of accomplishment to see all those things I've done.

But as far as your specific question is concerned, you might want to investigate the "sharing" features of RTM. It might well require that your wife have an RTM account (perhaps a "pro" account), but there may be a way to inform someone with whom you "share" a task to get appropriate notification.

I'll be keeping an eye out for these issues on the RTM forum. And if you come up with some answers, I'd appreciate a PM.

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
() Notification of wifey's tasks. Not sure I want to let my wife know about this, but it's an interesting idea. If I understand your question, you want some notification other than simply the fact that a task has shown up in your task list and is displayed in your daily email.

Yea! Exactly what im lookin for!

() Notification of completed status. This is another interesting idea. In general, I haven't completely mastered the complexity of showing/reporting on "completed tasks" in RTM. I know I can search for and display them, but I'd prefer a strikethrough when I complete a task rather than have it disappear as it does by default. (Gives me a false sense of accomplishment to see all those things I've done.

I just want a feedback email for the one creating the task when i touch the status like completing it :(
WITHOUT her having a RTM account, cuz thats why i wanted an app that she can use with just writing an email!

I'll be keeping an eye out for these issues on the RTM forum. And if you come up with some answers, I'd appreciate a PM.

Ill PM you, but i also opened up the thread on RTM forums!

Remember The Milk - Forums / Help

Tigger

mpenda

Reaction score
Let's say you ask for reminders 5 minutes before tasks are due. If she emails the task in with a due TIME that's due say 15 minutes in the future, you should get a prompt about it being due. Set your sync to every 5 minutes or 1 if you need to.

There's also a page for "Completed" tasks on the Droid.

Have you setup the Widget?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a work around for notifying your wife when you've completed a task, RTT. Doesn't meet your requirements fully but you or others may find it useful. RTM is (not surprisingly) not well designed to share one's tasks with other non-RTM users, but there are ways to inform others about the status of tasks.

() Set up a free non-"pro" account in RTM for the person you want to share a subset of tasks with, i.e. "wifey".

() Enter your wife's RTM account in your RTM "contacts." Have your wife do the same with your account from her new RTM account. (Or do it for her.)

() Ask your wife to enter tasks via the internet in her RTM account and "share" each one with you. (This is the alternative to an email from your wife.)

() The tasks will show up in your RTM account just as if you had entered them or she had entered them via email.

() When you complete a task it will be "completed" both in your account and in your wife's account.

Just tested this with a test account for my wife. Works flawlessly. Combined with the suggestion above regarding "due" date/time, it may meet at least some of your needs.

Have to say that RTM provides some incredibly powerful time management tools. Comparable to some other tools with far more restrictive and complex user interfaces. It does, however, require some experimentation and customization of things like tags to take full advantage of its power.

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Let's say you ask for reminders 5 minutes before tasks are due. If she emails the task in with a due TIME that's due say 15 minutes in the future, you should get a prompt about it being due. Set your sync to every 5 minutes or 1 if you need to.

There's also a page for "Completed" tasks on the Droid.

Have you setup the Widget?

Would you all please READ!

I know how to set reminders 5 minutes before due!!!

I want to be reminded on my device if i RECIEVE A TASK VIA EMAIL!
And i want the stuff i asked for to work WITHOUT SETTING AN ACCOUNT for my wifey! She just should have to use email.
she is absolutely un-techy and im glad she is able to write mails :D

Tigger