1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Remember Sprecovery tar.gz?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tallnerd1985, Aug 7, 2010.

1. tallnerd1985

tallnerd1985 New Member

I was wondering if anybody here remembers installing roms via Sprecovery using the tar.gz format like what AdamZ used to?

If so, can you link me to a place to make roms that use this feature instead of update.zip because my Droid does not like Clockwork on it all and I miss being able to do a new rom and install a different kernel at the same time without having to ADB my phone or bootup and make the changes of update.zip's in Astro File Manager.
  2. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

SirPsychoS created that format for SPRecovery, so he would know better than anyone. I know he spends some time in the #Droidmod IRC. Good luck!
  3. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Sprecovery has the option to mount while in recovery to rename those zips. I install ROMS and kernels at the same time without booting all the time.

Sent from my Droid
  4. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

With SPRecovery, you don't need to boot up the phone to swap update.zip files if you've got a computer around. Plug the Droid in, and under Mount Options, enable Mass USB Storage. Use the computer to swap update files on the SD card, disable Mass USB storage, and you're good to update again.
  5. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

To me, it sounded like the OP wanted to learn how to make ROMs using the tar.gz format, but maybe I misunderstood...
  6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

The thing with those tar.gz ROMs was that the ROM dev had to write a script for everything to install differently. Which is time consuming, taking the ROM dev's time away from where it could actually be useful. For example, I just opened the install script for SG 6.0, and it is almost 3000 lines long, although a portion of that is headers. I can't imagine that is something you could whip up in 5 minutes like you could an update.zip file, shorter if you recycle. At least that is my take on them.

Another thing is that they completely kill the backwards compatibility that update.zip has. An update.zip can work for both recoveries, actually saving the dev some time, allowing him/her to make one update.zip for all Droids. Nandroid and tar.gz are going to only work for some people. I am not sure what the split is of people using each recoveries, but from glancing at the forums around here I would guess it is relatively even split.
  7. tallnerd1985

tallnerd1985 New Member

I guess you are right but its frustrating that CWR has the ability to do what I want but I got one of those Droids that hate CWR with a passion so I have no choice but to stick with SPrecovery. Hopefully, with project Durden almost complete, SirPhysco will release a newer recovery partition with the above ability.
Search tags for this page

droiod1 recovery .tar

how to install a tar.gz file in android
how to install tar.gz on android
install .gz rom android
sp recovery looking for tar file
sprecovery tgz