[Release] Stock 2.1 ESE81 & ESE81 Deodexed backups

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by metiCkOne, May 18, 2010.

1. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit 05-21-10: So, I was poking around the forums and noticed a lot of people arguing over what is root and what is not root. I wanted to clear this up a little bit so people don't think I'm claiming something that I'm not. These backups were done by flashing the recovery sbf. file provided by droidmod to the latest 2.1 ota, and following root instructions that were posted at alldroid. I did not compile this or use the modded update.zip file. It is was done using adb. I will see if it's posted, if not I'll post it.

Edit 2: Here is how I rooted the 2.1 OTA... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/46429-how-root-2-1-ota-using-sbf-adb.html#post492109

Okay so I noticed that there aren't any truly stock ESE81 roms out there, so I decided to release the ones I have done. They are both based off the most recent update that has been pushed to our phones.

Stock 2.1 ESE81 - root & busybox (no changes otherwise)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Deodexed 2.1 ESE81 - root, busybox & deodexed (removed Google Maps and added newer version)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Instructions for SPRecovery.
    1. Unzip the file and place it in the nandroid folder at the root of your sdcard
    2. backup/restore
    3. advanced nandroid restore
    4. choose backup
    5. uncheck "data" (only BOOT and System should be slected)
    6. Perform restore

Thank you to XEUDOXUS for making XUltimate & WOODYMAN for helping me with it.

2. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Greatly appreciated but I have 2 questions.. (well one question of a sort and one direct question)

1. Is Boot partition stock or nandroid? (I ask as you have the system using a nandroid backup and already rooted so one would think...)

2. Wouldnt these be a bit more beneficial if they were setup so update formatting would work? In that way IF either were using a stock boot/recovery you could simply migrate between them with no issues.

My 2 cents ;)

3. metiCkOne

Ratings:
    +0
    I did not include the recovery in the backup. So to answer your question, yes it's stock, unless otherwise stated.

Edit: Is that what you were asking? I'm not really sure I understand you clearly. What do you mean by update formating?

4. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I misspoke myself.. if recovery isn't included the it wouldn't be 'stock' since you would be using a modified recovery application that will remain after processing would it... what I meant by update formatting was using it as an update.zip. Perhaps its my perception but stock would be rooted and including recovery 'stock' so that once you install you could flip between the two without the middle step of needing sprecovery or nandroid. Its 5 am here so I think I'll shut up...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. metiCkOne

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I see what you're asking. I didn't do an update.zip for a few reasons, 1. I don't know how to compile them, 2 they're already available and 3 I'm pretty sure anyone who would need that method is already on 2.1. As far as recovery is concerned, there is absolutely no need to include it because you have to have a moddified recovery to do this anyway. This isn't some alternative to the flashing sbf methode, just the legwork already done.

It's 3am here, no worries, lol. This is how we do it at DF. The real gem here is the deodexed system I posted. There are many advantages to using a deodexed system (that hasn't been messed with) I.e. making your own rom. To my knowledge this is one of like 3 that have been posted.

6. sportsterBK8

sportsterBK8 Member

Ratings:
    +0

The middle "step" of sprecovery is because it has root.

Any rom with root, you're going to wan't either sprecovery or clockwork recovery, because there is a chance that you will damage your phone, and without an advanced aftermarked recovery you're going to have a hard time fixing any problems caused by modifying files in root.

For instance, once you have root you can modify system files, this would be like modifying files in your system32 folder in windows, if you screw the wrong ones up, windows wont boot, and having a recovery like sprecovery is like having a windows DISC. No matter how much you screw up those folders, you can always just stick the windows disc in and start from scratch again.

:]
    moral of the story
    having sprecovery is ALWAYS a good idea when you have root.

7. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gotcha. Thanks for the time, effort & clarification.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. AngDroid

AngDroid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks once again for the Deodexed ROM. I finally have the white text for clock, carrier and date on my ROM which made it perfect for me. I made a nice hybrid HTC Incredible - Droid theme and it is just about perfect now.

9. swish007

swish007 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just thought I'd post and say thanks for this.. i'm a root-noob and i decided to root my droid just for superuser access (for a particular app that looked worth it.. autokiller is the one i think). I was pretty daunted by some of the different how-toos but i tried this one and it worked like a charm! I'm very pleased and yes, the app seems worth it.. I'll probably start checking out some other roms in the near future but this was very helpful for getting my feet wet :)

10. metiCkOne

Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome, thanks for the thanks ;)

11. ChefZiggy

ChefZiggy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bit out of the loop. Running a 2.0.1 mod at the moment (UltimateDroid 9) and wanting to get up to 2.1 today. Can I use this to get there, or do I need to go back to stock, get the OTA, re-root and then use this?

Thanks.

12. AngDroid

Ratings:
    +1
    I believe you will need to get back to Stock 2.0.1 then do an OTA upgrade to 2.1 or use the 2.1 update.zip and then flash this. If you are looking for a nice clean 2.1 package to modify yourself then this is it.

13. ChefZiggy

ChefZiggy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Kinda figured that would be the best route. Will this hose my root apps? (Titanium backup, Root Explorer, etc.) Or will they work on 2.1?

The update.zip file you mention, it should be around here somewhere, right? I'll have a look around. Thanks!

14. AngDroid

Ratings:
    +1
    All those Apps work on 2.1 but you will need to download and configure them again. The 2.1 update zip is locaed in one of the sticky threads with everything you need to go back to stock 2.0.1 and then root 2.1.

15. metiCkOne

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you're rooted now, or at least have SPRecovery 0.99.3b you can just upgrade right now. There is no need to do anything more. Just load the backup on your phone.

Search tags for this page

android 05.21.10.zip

motorola droid 1 2.1 deodexed

root samsung gem 2.1