[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

Rechjr

Reaction score
Confused Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm running a Droid 3 on stock ROM version 906. I've never flashed a ROM before. Steel Droid looks amazing and I'd like to try it. However, I see people warning me not to flash Steel Droid onto 906. I also see people warning me not to flash 890 back onto 906. No one ever seems to clarify specifically what will happen - I can only assume that my phone will brick, my warranty will void, and a black hole will swallow the Earth. I figure this is the best place to become enlightened:

Is it safe to flash this version of Steel Droid onto stock 906? If not, what do I do to get my phone prepped for it?

Thanks much.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm running a Droid 3 on stock ROM version 906. I've never flashed a ROM before. Steel Droid looks amazing and I'd like to try it. However, I see people warning me not to flash Steel Droid onto 906. I also see people warning me not to flash 890 back onto 906. No one ever seems to clarify specifically what will happen - I can only assume that my phone will brick, my warranty will void, and a black hole will swallow the Earth. I figure this is the best place to become enlightened:

Is it safe to flash this version of Steel Droid onto stock 906? If not, what do I do to get my phone prepped for it?

Thanks much.

Ya, all you need to prep for it to have safestrap on your phone and follow the instructions in the first post. And yes you should be on 906

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks much.

The earlier warning about not flashing onto .906 were because a SBF (way to return to stock) was unavailable. But that issue is solved and you need not worry your pretty little head over it. :)

I have personally flashed SDv5.6 over .906 with fantastic results. Whether you are using Safestrap, or the D3 Bootstrap App, make sure you do a backup before flashing! I cannot say that enough. It'll save your butt in the case something goes wrong.

Next, wipe/factory reset your phone in recovery x3 (just to be sure).

Then install SDv5.6 from your SD Card, reboot and enter gmail/setup everything on your phone and your good to go!

If you have anymore questions just post up and we'll help ya! :D

PS: I write all that assuming your rooted, if you aren't you'll need to use the "Motofail" tool to do it.

ExOmRa

Reaction score
Sorry for bad english. I found some new bugs:
1. Indicator of signal strengh does not work properly on 2G networks
2. In full zoom mode sometimes camera freezes
3. if you change the language (i was changing on "russian" and "ukrainian"), - will be lost access to network setings (can not changing APN points and etc.)
4. Sometimes screen turn black and not responding (it was when: 1 time when i turn phone in "sleep mode" and couple times when phone just laying in my pocket).

y0himba

Reaction score
Hello. I have successfully flashed this ROM using Safestrap, and I am IN LOVE with it. I have one major(yes, I know, they are always major) issue, I cannot seem to get the built-in mobile hotspot to work. The only reason I can think it will not work is possibly the radio hack that I did before Verizon changed it's data plans, for undetectable tethering. That hack can be found here: [GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers

Anyone else experience this?

elias01

Reaction score
I am a newbie here, with droid 3 + stock rom 906 for long time... until now . Finally got the droid 3 running ICS with this custom rom and I love it!!!!! THanks for such a nicely built rom, everyone benefits.

1 prob i spot that affects me so far, is about scanning QR code. QR code is getting more popular and is everywhere now. The prob is, i am using the same QR code decoding program (Quickmark) since forever, it reads qr code fine until i flashed the phone to steel droid 5.6. the camera keeps trying to focus, sometimes it got the clear focus, but still won't take the scan, and keeps on focusing .I wonder if this is something to do with the camera or what? or do you have a preferred QR code app that will work on this rom, I would love to try.

anyway~this is already a pretty complete ICS for droid 3. I thank you for that.:hail:

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
@MissionMan

SD v4.8 & v5.6 has been pretty stable for me along with all of MAV Roms release's. Both Chevy and the MAV Rom Dev's have worked hard on these release's so if your unhappy with them your welcome to take a stab at it yourself. Since all their hard work seems to be "sub-par" in your eyes.

We all know ICS is gonna have its issues until Hash release's his latest build for Dev's to make their personal tweaks too(Kexec = Bye-bye previous ICS problems). Its been stated that FCC, Video Codex, and among other things are gonna be problems. The fact that Chevy has put time "the sad state D3" is enough for you to atleast say thanks instead of complain about it. We're doing what we can for this device, its far from dead though. So don't discredit the hard work of the Dev's that are still striving to help the Droid 3 Community. This phone is far from dead, I run SD ICS as my daily driver and it's been running flawlessly.

I for one am glad that we have Chevy, Buck, Ped among others all working hard on their own ROM's for the D3 (SD & MAV & Team Haters). Sure its not like the golden days on the OG Droid with its unlocked bootloader but its better then nothing, and this device is far from dead. I personally will have my D3 for another year atleast and will fight for every inch of this phone's life.

That being said counter-rant over. (Please excuse my highly intoxicated state, goodnight) :icon_ devil:

tumblr_m92jsjSUwO1qhpvqd.gif

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
@missionman

Do us all a favor. Go to Swappa, sell your D3 and go buy an iPhone.

We don't need, nor do we want, the negativity you spew forth.

Several people have worked hard (for free on their own time) to make the D3 the best it can be. All of the major GB releases ARE stable. Steel Droid, HgH & Maverick work just fine. BASED on what the Dev wanted to include/exclude. Maybe a ROM doesn't have everything you want, in which case move on to another to you find what you want.

I have run HgH, SD and MavROM and have not had any of the issues you complain about. I've also ran the Bionic ports that Davros took time to do for the community and they run fine too.

Yes, as Yonner said, we all know that ICS has issues, but Hashcode and crew are working hard to bring it to the D3 which would otherwise never happen. There are growing pains. We know and accept this.

But when it comes down to it, the custom GB options are a far better experience than "stock" for many reasons (to most of us anyways)

Also, don't forget that every phone is different, unique in its experience/hardware. ex. Some can run OC'd some can't. That's just the way it is.

/rant

Last edited:

sc123

Reaction score
I am a newbie here, with droid 3 + stock rom 906 for long time... until now . Finally got the droid 3 running ICS with this custom rom and I love it!!!!! THanks for such a nicely built rom, everyone benefits.

1 prob i spot that affects me so far, is about scanning QR code. QR code is getting more popular and is everywhere now. The prob is, i am using the same QR code decoding program (Quickmark) since forever, it reads qr code fine until i flashed the phone to steel droid 5.6. the camera keeps trying to focus, sometimes it got the clear focus, but still won't take the scan, and keeps on focusing .I wonder if this is something to do with the camera or what? or do you have a preferred QR code app that will work on this rom, I would love to try.

anyway~this is already a pretty complete ICS for droid 3. I thank you for that.:hail:

QR code scanning doesn't work with SD ICS on the Droid 3. I've tried numerous scanning apps and none of them will focus properly and scan the code. :(

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
QR code scanning doesn't work with SD ICS on the Droid 3. I've tried numerous scanning apps and none of them will focus properly and scan the code. :(

Unfortunately the auto-focus is broken for the time being so none of the scanners will work. We're hoping to have it ironed out when the kexec builds start rolling out.

elias01

Reaction score
Unfortunately the auto-focus is broken for the time being so none of the scanners will work. We're hoping to have it ironed out when the kexec builds start rolling out.

Thanks. good to know... at least I know. Hope the next ver. cover this matter.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
While I appreciate all the feedback I receive from users about my work, I have to draw the line somewhere. Mission man, that's really not constructive in any fashion. While I DO agree, my OP needs updated with more info in the bugs section, you have to understand, I don't have all day and night to sit around working on finding every little bug in a ROM. I have a full time job, family, friends, and time for myself, away from Android.

Bottom line, and this goes for everyone (its a cover-all statement), if your going to post rants like that, that are not polite, and offensive, I will ignore you, delete your post, and report you if I feel its necessary. I don't want to have to do that, but if you want to get me to do something about an issue you have, you have to be polite, honest, detailed, and constructive, even if its criticism. I'm not the best developer out there by any means, and that means there WILL be issues, some of which are out of my control, like the camera and video codecs for example. When another stable base is sufficiently ready, I will start to build from it. Just be patient with me. Good things come to those who wait (and are polite).

Please be friendly, and keep the forum clean, we have young kids on this forum, and we need to set a good example.

drknes

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I Hope someone can help me....

I have been running 5.6 in safestrap for a while, and have been really happy with it, so happy in fact, that I want it to replace the stock ROM as my non-safe ROM.

The problem that I'm having is that I install it using Hash's Tweeked bootloader, which works great, but I want to install Safestrap and play with other ROMs as well.
When I follow hash's process Here, to remove CWM, on the next boot, my phone goes through a process of updating applications, and starting applications after the splash screen, but it never comes out of the starting applications screen.
If I do a battery pull, and reboot the phone, it hangs on the splash screen, and the only way to get the phone working again is to SBF back to stock, root, install CWM and install Steel Droid again from scratch.

Has anyone else come across this before, or knows a way to resolve this.

Thanks
Adrian