[RELEASE]... Black Gmail.... to DATA!!!

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you are like me, I like to get as much out of /system as possible... with the new gmail available on the market you had to decide if you wanted the Bowers in /system or get the unthemed version from the market to get the extra app out of /system....

Well now you get both!!! All credit goes to Bowers for the inversion, I just did some tweaks to a few images and set it up to load into /data/app

Download the file and change the .zip to .apk and put the file on your SD card

If you have gmail in /system, first make a backup just in case this doesn't work for you for some reason. Then change gmail.apk to gmail.apk.bak then reboot your phone. Then go to the app on your sd and select it, then select install...

If you downloaded from the market, uninstall the app. Then find the app on your SD, select it, then select install...

For some reason on the first opening, it may close right back down.. don't worry it did this to me the first time, open it back up and it will be fine after that.... you may also have to go back a select gmail to sync automatically from your account/sync in settings...

Enjoy!!!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Same one I tested?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Actually this one has some tweaks, the icons and notifier are different, I really don't like the stamp look or the stock notifier, also some of the small graphics on the inbox are changed to white.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Actually this one has some tweaks, the icons and notifier are different, I really don't like the stamp look or the stock notifier, also some of the small graphics on the inbox are changed to white.

Awesome!! dancedroid

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bump for viewing.....

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are like me, I like to get as much out of /system as possible...
...we must be opposites, I like as much in system/app as possible - this way there is no accidentally updating and losing my themed apps - I believe I have 400k left in my system/app folder and I like it that way :happy:

For the non-rooted users this is great and your hard work is appreciated

:bump:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
...we must be opposites, I like as much in system/app as possible - this way there is no accidentally updating and losing my themed apps - I believe I have 400k left in my system/app folder and I like it that way :happy:

For the non-rooted users this is great and your hard work is appreciated

:bump:

At least stuff in /data can be moved to /sdcard. Stuff in /system can't that's why I like putting everything I can in /data

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
tp, once a data app has been themed it will not update until it is uninstalled, the signatures no longer match the original.... but to each his own....

I am working through an issue with decompile/compile for this app, once I get that straight I will be releasing a version with a darker gray for the read messages and a few other changes... right now apk manage 4.9 is giving me some trouble decompiling/compiling data apps?!?!?!