Reinstalling nandroid (help)

x25064

Reaction score
Ill try to sum this up as simply as possible in chronological order.
1.) SD card dies
2.) New sandisk card formatted
3.) Old data extracted and placed on new card file for file - exact copy
4.) New card loaded works perfect
5.) Attempted monthly nandroid backup and pulled error 31.
6.) Card is NOT corrupted, works perfectly otherwise in every other application.

I know standard protocol is to format the card but i see no need to since it was already done. Is there a way to reinstall nandroid so that it will work properly again?

Thanks.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill try to sum this up as simply as possible in chronological order.
1.) SD card dies
2.) New sandisk card formatted
3.) Old data extracted and placed on new card file for file - exact copy
4.) New card loaded works perfect
5.) Attempted monthly nandroid backup and pulled error 31.
6.) Card is NOT corrupted, works perfectly otherwise in every other application.

I know standard protocol is to format the card but i see no need to since it was already done. Is there a way to reinstall nandroid so that it will work properly again?

Thanks.

Shut the phone down and remove and reinstall the card and try again. This has worked before for me.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Unfortunately that didn't work for me, is there a way to simply reinstall nandroid?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I realize you've already reformatted but --

Typically, error 31 is related to the SD card. Here is a current list of nandroid error codes:
Nandroid error codes

14 - Seems to happen when applying a .rom.tgz format. There is too many extensions at the end (I.e. .rom.tgz.tgz, needs to be .rom.tgz) Also could be caused by exracting a .rom.tgz . These files need to be left as a .rom.tgz file.

21 - The file name of the folder has a space in it. ( I.e. nandroid/sample rom, needs to be nandroid/samplerom)

25 - The rom is in too many subfolders. ( I.e. nandroid/samplerom/samplerom, it needs to be nandroid/samplerom

28 - The rom is corrupt somehow, simple redownload or pick another mirror site.

31 - Sdcard has become corrupt. Format through android as your PC may not format it correctly.

34 - This is when doing a backup and there isn't enough space on the sdcard. Delete some files to make room and start again.

35 - The name for the backup is too many characters. Simply rename.

You should have created the nandroid folder yourself so, in theory, you should be able to n delete and create a new one. Just a theory!

Let us know how your resolve.

Mike

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unfortunately that didn't work for me, is there a way to simply reinstall nandroid?
The easiest way to reflash sprecovery is by using Rom Manager.

Otherwise here's the method via terminal emulator:

Update Sprecovery

Open one of the available Terminal Emulators and type the following:

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img

reboot recovery

Here is where you can get the file to put on your sdcard:
recovery 0 99 3b - Download from mediafire.com - Filestube.com

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Excellent! Thank you for such accurate instructions, I will try this tomorrow and post my results.

Just to be sure, this won't delet any data on my SD card once sprecovery begins reflashing will it? It doesn't seem that would be the case but I have a lot of information on that card I'd rather not lose.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
So this bricked my phone. I am now stuck on the M logo in bootloops and sprecovery is not pulling up when I hold X....

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Ok so the phone now boots up normally but holding X to boot up nandroid causes it to boot loop. Wtf?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Download Rom Manager (free) flash Clockwork, then back to SPR then try to restore

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Can you explain a little more in detail? Sorry I just don't want to mess anything up any more then it already is.

Clockwork through rom manager is simple enough, but by saying to flash back to SPR, do you mean doing the terminal emulator process I just tried a few minutes ago?

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Nevermind I see the option to flash alternate recovery. Sorry I usually like to get all possible info before I start a new method, so I didn't know it would be in the menu options.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
I am still getting the error 31.. I don't get it. Brand new Sandisk SD card. Works fine for EVERYTHING else.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, once you have CW installed, go back into Rom Manager and scroll to the bottom. It should say flash alt recovery, which is SPR.

The backup you made was with SPR right? If so, just do what I said.

If your backup was made with CW then just restore your backup when you get CW installed.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
It was with SPR and now I'm still getting the same error 31 with SPR when I go to restore my backup.

The folder system should look like (example) sdcard/nandroid/froyostable-BCDMRS-20100730-2017

right? or is there a subfolder that is missing and that is why it cannot find the backup?

Formatted on the phone as soon as I got it.