Regret????

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
My contract ends in a month and I am eligable for an upgrade and can get the Thunderbolt for $100. I have the Droid X right now. I was wondering, do you regret getting the Thunderbolt? Please explain your answer.

Stick with the Droid X...

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I have NO regrets at all!

I upgraded from my D1, which was rooted and i was running custom ROMs/kernels on. So, for my upgrade I wanted a device where I could do the same ... and the TB seems to be getting A LOT of developer support. It was a no brained for me.

Now if you're not into rooting and ROMing, then I will tell you 2 things that drove me nuts before I rooted/ROMed this puppy. One was GPS locking - it would take 10 plus minutes for GPS to find my position. Which when you're sitting on the side of the road in need of directions feels like an eternity! Second was the battery life, which I knew about going in, but it still shocked me. Maybe I wasn't doing all the little power management tricks, IDK. But, I have noticed a huge difference in battery now that I am rooted.

Hope this helps you decision.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

audioxtc85

Reaction score
I agree with zerosouls. Stick with the x! Personally I would wait to use the upgrade on the galaxy S2

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tc3

Reaction score
DO NOT WASTE YOUR UPGRADE!!

unless they fix some serious problems 1st and I have a bad feeling that they are not going to.

1. Reboots randomly or shuts off completely.
2. Battery life is terrible even with 4G turned off.
3. data services go in and out and are unreliable.
4. GPS lock can take forever to lock on.

These are just the major things not the little quirks.

I'm on my 3rd replacement phone and all have these same problems.

TheRockSays

Reaction score

unless they fix some serious problems 1st and I have a bad feeling that they are not going to.

Do we know why reboots are not affecting everyone?

I've had mine since the morning they came out and have not had any reboots...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

I don't have 3 out of 4 of those issues. GPS lock sucks on Froyo. It's instant on GB. I've never had any random reboots. Battery drain is well battery drain. You use the phone, you'll lose battery. Just like driving a car, the more you drive it the more gas it uses.

I never take off 4g, switching to a slower speed is pointless for me. I bought the TB for 4G.

azpilot

Reaction score

1. I only notice any reboot when running GB and I'm overclocked. Otherwise no overclock no reboot

2. Yep, on 4G heavy usage or just on it for hours doing stuff will drain that battery. I run only 3G and easily get 12 hours and 70% battery with light to just under moderate use

3. Yea in PHX where I live I have to be 18 miles closer to get 4G and then if I'm in a building or the outskirts it will toggle back and forth real bad. I just lock 3G in and no more issue

4. Inside yep, outside a little better. GB within 10 seconds..

still don't regret getting this at all, coming from a D1 its heaven!

UNC

Reaction score
My contract ends in a month and I am eligable for an upgrade and can get the Thunderbolt for $100. I have the Droid X right now. I was wondering, do you regret getting the Thunderbolt? Please explain your answer.

Save the upgrade!!! I bought a TB day one, and returned it on day 14. The battery is garbage, the data connection is garbage and it doesn't even have access to HTC Hub.. the phone dropped to 1x more than any phone I've had since 3g first rolled out. The call quality is bad as well, AND the phone is heavy. If you feel like you need a 4g phone now get the charge.

The DX is a snappier device and far less prone to tons and tons of built in hardware problems.

Also, the TB is not "unlocked" as others have said, it is just not encrypted.... You still have to go thru ADB to unlock it. "S-off". So if you aren't sure of your ability to use ADB you still won't be able to root.... I hear GB fixes some of the phones issues, but the GB radio has been causing perma-bricks....

exmeaguy

Reaction score
I regret getting the Tbolt, coming from my Dinc. I am one of the unlucky ones who has the 4 to 5 random reboots a day. To me the only thing worse for a phone is if it's bricked. The random reboots is completely unacceptable.

The bottomline is, flip a coin, heads you won't get the reboots, or tails you will get the reboots and will regret your decision. The coin is in your hand.

UNC

Reaction score
I regret getting the Tbolt, coming from my Dinc. I am one of the unlucky ones who has the 4 to 5 random reboots a day. To me the only thing worse for a phone is if it's bricked. The random reboots is completely unacceptable.

The bottomline is, flip a coin, heads you won't get the reboots, or tails you will get the reboots and will regret your decision. The coin is in your hand.

Or the coin lands on its side and you get reboots but you act like you don't to justify your purchase!!!! The phone was not ready for prime time. I said it in another post... There is a reason that this phone didn't get "Droid" branding or HTC Hub support....

There should be a poll on this thread.

Two of my buddies and I all bought the TB on launch day, and mine stayed outta the store the longest. (14 days) One returned it two days later, and the other returned his after a week and proclaimed, "if that's the best Android phone, I'll stay with BB..." and he did. Not only has this debacle of a device hurt HTC's image, but Google's Android and Verizon's LTE as well.... I have not heard one GOOD thing about the phone, just people that say theirs "doesn't do the bad things". It's funny that the commercial said "its not your dream phone, it's the one after that" I guess meaning that it is the groggy, cranky, Monday morning before work phone!!!! The other commercial had 50 lightning bolts charging the thing up... That is not false advertising at all. Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod just to keep this power-whoring phone happy!!!!!

Last edited:

tc3

Reaction score
Even of the thunderbolt didn't have these unacceptable device ruining problems..

The only pro for this phone is that it has 4G(not that it matters since it drops all data signals frequently). And that doesn't matter since there are other phones out now with it.

I went in knowing the battery life wasn't very good but even with 4g a phone shouldn't go dead with minimal usage.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny the Thunderbolt is so poor Czech is considering a full recall. I had one myself and finally got rid of that device and moved to the Charge. After having both. I can honestly say HTC has some serious issues.

Sent from my Charge using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't regret the purchase. But then again I said before that I would not buy the phone unless I could get it on a one yr contract and that is what I did. For what I am using it for I like the tbolt and I like the development for it. Jcase and them boys pms thunderbolt andirc and the devs for the tbolt are doing some stuff with it. My thunderbolt has the sensation lock screen and I am loving.gingerbread. now that cvpcs is in the game with cm I am feeling like this is more of a development device.

sent from droidforums app

UNC

Reaction score
Funny the Thunderbolt is so poor Czech is considering a full recall. I had one myself and finally got rid of that device and moved to the Charge. After having both. I can honestly say HTC has some serious issues.

Sent from my Charge using Tapatalk

Czech!!!!! They are the poorest of the poor!!! If Verizon doesn't recall the TB, they will have A TON of ticked-off customers come this time next year, all of it's users will be stuck buying a phone out of pocket with no subsidy to replace it or making bogus insurance claims in a last-ditch effort to get out from under it.

I am glad you got off the sinking ship Miami!!! What do you think of the Charge? Better/worse than the Revolution? Should I just wait for Bionic? I used the DX2 the other day and it is awesomely fast and has a brilliant display. I assume the Bionic will be fairly similar, no?

bL33d

Reaction score
Best phone I have had to date and I've had almost all of them. Will some phones have issues yes of course but it's the same with everything tech.

For a 1400mah battery it gets amazing battery life IMO, I charge it over night run bamf with 1.2ghz oc and charge last a full day unless heavy video or gaming so about the same as my droid x with a 1540mah battery running 1ghz. And FYI not a single reboot for me but I never installed a troublesome gingerbread rom like most people with issues.

I had a fascinate which is galaxy s super amoled and the screen on the tbolt is very close to super amoled in rich colors. And if it ain't got htc sense I won't own it from here on out as sense is just leaps and bounds better then stock android and touchwiz is kiddy garbage and a lagfest.

Also stay clear of samsung unless u like plastic devices that run eclair and look like a iPhone :p

Last but most important u can talk and surf over 3G or 4g no other Verizon phone can say that.

Last edited: