Registered for swype but gives error of functionality

tu3218

Reaction score
So I'm registered for swype and it has always worked on BB.4. All of sudden this updated version of swype for september and when I click to use swype it gave me a message about it being made for other devices. I went straight to the email about the update and downloaded it right from the site. Any suggestions?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an install issue. Make sure you remove Swype and the installer before installing the updated installer. I have missed one or the other myself even when I've tried to be careful. Rebooting between removal and install may help. I'd also suggest checking the Swype forums as the beta manager posted his recommended process for reinstalling/updating.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score

griz8791

Reaction score
I was Swypeless for a couple of weeks but got it running again a couple days ago.

First, to answer your question, no, swypeinstaller isn't the actual install file. It apparently goes out to the Swype site and downloads the install file.

Second, AFTER you have run swypeinstaller, waited for it to go out and get the actual install file, and have run the install file, at the very end you will be presented with a button that says "done."

Don't click that "done" button.

Instead, hit your BACK button. Hopefully when you do this you will see a message saying that it is "registering" your new installation and then you will be presented with screens allowing you to set your Swype preferences.

I read about this "back" vs. "done" thing in another thread and it worked for me on my device (Droid 1 running 2.2). Prior to learning of this back vs done issue I kept getting the same "not for your device" install error message you are getting.

Good luck. Your mileage may vary.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
Okay so I ran the swype installer, downloaded the file, installed swype. I then I got the "done" part. I hit the back button but it told me swype was already installed and I need to do it again. But I didn't have swype installed, just the installer? What does this mean?

griz8791

Reaction score
Okay so I ran the swype installer, downloaded the file, installed swype. I then I got the "done" part. I hit the back button but it told me swype was already installed and I need to do it again. But I didn't have swype installed, just the installer? What does this mean?

I had the same problem.

I think it means that all traces of both programs have to be uninstalled from the phone before you can successfully try again. I.e., go to "manage applications" and uninstall all instances of swypeinstaller and swype that you find there. Then go back to the swype beta site, download the swypeinstaller file, run that, allow it to download the actual swype file, and then at the very end, hit BACK instead of the "done" button that shows on the screen.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
ughh, I uninstalled both swype and the installed. Did the whole download swypeinstaller, run, email/password, install swype, back button and still said swype is already installed. This is very fustrating.

saylors18

Reaction score
so i registered with swype and i have tried 3 different emails but none work i will activate my account and everything but i still havent received an email for the update and after everytime i activate an acout with swype they say it doesnt exist can anyone tell me whats going on with this?

griz8791

Reaction score
Saylors, I used to be a zealous Swype advocate but I haven't touched it since installing Ultra Keyboard about 3 weeks ago. Ultra Keyboard has swipe typing AND a microphone button for voice to text. Swype didn't have voice to text the last time I used it about 3 weeks ago. The swipe typing on Ultra Keyboard is a little different from Swype because the keyboard is laid out a little differently. On the other hand, having the mic button on the same keyboard as your swipe typing is a huge advantage and there are a lot of other cool bells and whistles you can turn on or off.

I suggest this because Swype never intended to distribute its product to individuals like you and me. They only wanted us as beta testers so they could improve the product and then sell it to outfits like Motorola for mass distribution. Therefore there always has been and probably always will be a lot of confusion about signing up for their beta program and updating to the latest version of whatever they have. It might make more sense to cut your losses and deal with somebody like the Ultra Keyboard devs who are willing to deal with individual purchasers.

My two cents, for what it's worth.