Regarding Screen Protectors, Gorilla Glass and Scratches

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just accidently knocked my droid off my desk. Short drop to the finished concrete floor. There are now numerous little shallow scratches and pits on my screen.

You can't see them when the screens lit up, but they are there.

I suppose I should have continued using screen protectors?:icon_eek:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the nth time: Gorilla Glass in scratch resistant. It is not, however, unscratschable. It's each person's call whether or not to use screen protectors. There are tons of threads on them if you search.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
For the nth time: Gorilla Glass in scratch resistant. It is not, however, unscratschable. It's each person's call whether or not to use screen protectors. There are tons of threads on them if you search.

Thats the point I was trying to make. I've seen the threads. This post is just to show it CAN happen.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone whose tried it on their phone but there are methods of buffing out scratches in glass that you can find on Google.

chuckz28

Reaction score
anyone know how to fix scratches on Motorola Droid screen?

I don't know much about gorilla glass but if it is coated you would be better off not trying to polish the scratches. Instead of polishing the scratches out it could just begin to remove the coating and make it look worse? Ex. I used plastic window scratch remover on my eye glasses to take off paint overspray and it made the lenses much worse because it began to remove that protective coating. I am not saying these phones have a coating like that but with how smooth this glass feels I would bet it does.

driftshot

Reaction score
anyone know how to fix scratches on Motorola Droid screen?

At this point you just need to do the best you can to not scratch it any more. If you try to use a solution to remove the scratches you may damage the glass. You should get a screen protect do prevent any more damage.

Zecpull

Reaction score
I just Read a complete article on Gorilla Glass...it is supposed to put Corning Glass back on the Map..it is Really tough. It is Stronger than Pyrex. I do not see you being able to Polish it much with out some diamond compound. It it supposed to be the new Glass of the Future even though it was Designed in the 50's ..but had no purpose. They are saying by using Gorilla Glass..they can make the new LED LCD TV's thinner and Stronger ...Gorilla Glass | Home

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I did the key test. I scratched the h*ll out of my coffee table with a sharp key, then applied the same pressure and scratching to my Droid's screen (only brave enough to do this after a few beers). My Droid's screen is still flawless. And I'm a perfectionist, so if there is any kind of scratch or mark on my screen at all, I WILL find it. However, haven't found anything worth mentioning yet....

dancedroid

droidxforme

Reaction score
I think you would have to replace the screen, that's why I have a screen protector.