Regarding CPUs between the x and d1

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, ive been messing with overclocking a lot lately. Not by any means an expert, but most just out of curiousity.

I have found some info that seems to conflict what a lot of people are saying about the D1. And the New DX, with the 1000mhz cpu in it now.

Ok, lets look at the two device cpu's.

Droid 1
ARM Cortex A8
**Arm specs on this are from 600mhz to frequencies greater than 1000mhz
GPU - OpenGL ES-CM 1.1

Droid x
TI OMAP3630
**TI specs are from 720mhz (doesnt specify greater than value)
GPU - Open GL ES-CM 1.1

The D1 is clocked at 550mhz...which would be underclocked out of the box. If anyone has read the Overclocking 101 thread you would be aware of this as Skull has mentioned it in that thread.

The DX, however, is clocked at 1000mhz out of the box which would appear to be overclocked given the TI specs.

Wonder why this is? And this would bring me to the assumption that overclocking the D1 is not really as bad as one would think (according to the ARM specs), and the GPU are the same on the D1 and DX...so.

Anyway, this is just one of my ramblings lol...take it for what its worth.

tonydelite

Reaction score
OpenGL is a software API, not a GPU.

The Droid uses a TI OMAP 3430 CPU clocked at 600mhz (as of Froyo update) and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU

The Droid X uses a TI OMAP 3630 CPU clocked at 1000mhz, and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU.

RoyR80

Reaction score
OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

The Droid uses a TI OMAP 3430 CPU clocked at 600mhz (as of Froyo update) and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU

The Droid X uses a TI OMAP 3630 CPU clocked at 1000mhz, and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU.

in set cpu mine says it is using the ARMv7 rev 3. Would set cpu be wrong then?

moot

Reaction score

Mine says the same thing.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. The OMAP3xxx series are ARMv7 architecture processors. They're not the only ARMv7 processors. The Coretex-A8 is a core.

I LOVE this diagram, notice how the smallest thing there is the battery? i think that stands for something. ;-)
Those are some teeny displays then...

Last edited: