Regarding battery life after the upgrade...

Abaddon

Reaction score
+1 ^^^ So much of what people report as bad battery results are related to charging with power on. Charging with power off allows the battery to achieve a true 100% full saturation charge and also sets the full battery flag to the proper voltage levels so the meter can properly reflect the remaining charge. Draining to 15% sets the low battery flag so the meter can properly know when the battery is near depletion and to signal the proper time to recharge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So are you saying that if I only charge overnight I should shut down completely every night and charge that way? It's strange because I did that last night and my battery has been much better today.

Trash Can

Reaction score
I understand, and here it comes, you knew it was coming,...."But", Ha Ha, there it is, what about us folks who only have our cell for communication because we don't have a land line anymore due to the high costs in our area? It's hard to turn the phone off to charge it when you have children that haven't come home yet or sick relatives that, well you know. I guess we just have to deal with it.

i can't ever turn off my phone
my phone is my lifeline to my business and work
that is true for MOST folks these days
so...
charging while the phone is OFF is NOT an option for ME and COUNTLESS OTHERS here, i'm sure

You only need to follow Professor FoxKat's recommendations once every two or three months, not every time you charge your phone. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I would think anyone could do without their phone for 4 or 5 hours once in a while.

Last edited:

boynblu

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
+1 ^^^ So much of what people report as bad battery results are related to charging with power on. Charging with power off allows the battery to achieve a true 100% full saturation charge and also sets the full battery flag to the proper voltage levels so the meter can properly reflect the remaining charge. Draining to 15% sets the low battery flag so the meter can properly know when the battery is near depletion and to signal the proper time to recharge.

Dr Foxcat sir I have a question.....
I side loaded and I have been following all of your excellent advice on charging....but yesterday even though I was not experiencing glitches I decided to do a factory reset just because I didn't before side loading.... I noticed that my battery is not doing as well today as it was before.... I assume because I didn't take it down to 15% before charging last nite... would this be because when I did the reset it erased my battery's settings that it had saved from when I did the cycling?

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Dial in to *#*#4636#*#* and click on phone information scroll down to where the radio information LTE/CDMA/EvDo is and click on it and scroll up to CDMA auto (PRL).

That will essentially get you back to CDMA only, see if you cell standby improves.

Edit: Possibly better directions or maybe more clear ones here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-razr-maxx-ics-discussion/213303-how-enable-3g-only-mode.html

So by doing this, will it just me on CDMA/LTE or will it be just on CDMA? I am trying to figure out how to turn off global and have it on 3g/4g only to see if killing off the global helps my battery life bc my battery life sucks and im hoping that this will help

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
UPDATE:

So here's what I did.
  • Phone was fully charged. I took it off and did a powercycle then plugged it in while I got ready for work.
  • Took it off the charger at around 7am.
  • Mobile network was set to "LTE/CDMA" not "Global".
  • Didn't use it all the way to work but I was fully 4G connected the entire way, full GPS and location, Bluetooth enabled, WiFi enabled (but connected to nothing), etc. Screen stayed off.
  • Got to work and had it streaming Bluetooth the entire time. Didn't connect it to USB at all. Screen was off during streaming.
  • The stream stopped a couple of times but that looks like Motocast's Internet Radio failing as I was able to stream Amazon MP3 just fine.
Roughly 13-ish hours later, I am at 10% remaining. This is well within expectations given the music streaming over 4G all day - for some reason that just kills the battery. I need to find a more energy efficient stream app, I think Motocast is a battery hog. Anyway...

Checked Cell standby, after 13 hours the "Time without a signal" is 0%. That pretty much confirms the Global setting was causing signal issues at least in my area. Since I don't go international I can safely leave it off.

Just sharing this for others to consider disabling that setting to see if it helps. It definitely helped here. The MAXX is back in action.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^Thanks for this post. Since all the RAZR probably defaulted to Global...I know mine did.....that might be the reason for reception issues AND bad battery life. We gonna get to the bottom of it eventually...lol. I posted recently my data speeds were slower on Global too...

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So I just found an article on droid-life.com that talked about this app called HTC thunderbolt LTE OnOff . It will turn your phone to just 3g. However, I am looking for a way to still have 4g and not be on global. Any ideas???

Trash Can

Reaction score
So I just found an article on droid-life.com that talked about this app called HTC thunderbolt LTE OnOff . It will turn your phone to just 3g. However, I am looking for a way to still have 4g and not be on global. Any ideas???

menu>system settings>more>mobile networks>network mode>LTE/CDMA

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I understand, and here it comes, you knew it was coming,...."But", Ha Ha, there it is, what about us folks who only have our cell for communication because we don't have a land line anymore due to the high costs in our area? It's hard to turn the phone off to charge it when you have children that haven't come home yet or sick relatives that, well you know. I guess we just have to deal with it.

You know, you are right about that. Still, if you use the power meter like you use your car's gas gauge, and you "fill as you go", taking opportunities during the day to "add $20 to the tank" (or in this case 20% to your battery), you will not need to be so concerned as to whether you are 100% charged at the beginning of the day, or how long a particular charge level will last. With Computers practically everywhere around us now, finding a USB port to plug into isn't all that difficult. Carrying only the cable is relatively little burden. Even if you decide to carry the wall adapter, it's not all that big either, thanks to Motorola's clever miniaturization technology. Another thing you can do is purchase a portable battery backup, so that even when you are nowhere near an external power source, you can still depend on your phone to be there for you.

It will pay you though, to do a three-step "power-off" charge to 100%, discharge to 15%, and "power-off" charge to 100% about every 2 to 3 months, just to keep the battery and meter/charger happily in sync.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Setting the mobile network to cmda /lte instead of global may also help some.
I know on the dinc2 it helps alot!

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
i can't ever turn off my phone
my phone is my lifeline to my business and work
that is true for MOST folks these days
so...
charging while the phone is OFF is NOT an option for ME and COUNTLESS OTHERS here, i'm sure

There are only two situations where charging with power off are necessary;

1) When doing the three step meter training. This is done as follows. Power off, charge to 100% (3 hrs RAZR, 5.5 hrs MAXX), power on and use to 15%. Power off again and charge to 100%. To check progress, tap either volume button briefly. Note, it's just as important to discharge to 15% ("Low battery" warning pop-up) as it is to charge to 100% with power off during this training.

2) When you absolutely must have the maximum charge the battery will safely hold, such as when you will be away from any available power source for an extended period of time. For instance, you're going to be on a day-long excursion on foot, such as a city tour, or you will be at the beach from dawn to dusk, or at a remote construction site with no power for the entire day. If your phone wouldn't normally last through that extended time without running out of power after charging overnight with power on, then opt for a power-off charge the night before.

Remember, 3 or 5.5 hours is all the phone has to be powered off for. This could be at the end of your business day, perhaps 6:00 pm to 9:00 or 11:30 pm, or it can be from bedtime to when the alarm rings in the morning. Unless you are on call 24/7/365, you should be able to find that 3-5.5 hour window somewhere in the 4-6 times per year that the training is performed.

As for when your situations demand the maximum charge, that may not be as big an issue if the training is done as recommended. Far too often we see reports of people's batteries saying they are depleted, and yet the phone continues to operate with seemingly no power left. In one case a user was streaming music for over 8 hours, and all the while his meter said the battery had 5% remaining. In the end, the phone did get to 0%, but the meter was obviously lying to him for the better part of the day. Previous to that, his meter fell from 100% to 30% in 6 hours, and from 30% to 5% in 2 hours.

Truth is, his meter was so far out of whack that it looked like he had lost 95% of his charge in 8 hours, but 5% carried the phone for another 8! So in reality, when it said 5%, it was closer to 50%, and when it said 30%, it was closer to 70%. After the meter training, the first full day it lasted over 18 hours of normal use before it hit 15%.

If your car gas gauge said your car tank dropped from full to 1/8 tank after a 50 mile drive, would you blame the car, and make assumptions that the gauge was accurate or would you suspect the gauge? If the car gauge said you had half a tank and then 5 miles later the car stalled out with no gas, would you believe the gauge?

Last edited: