Redraw lag stock launcher

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Someone mentioned manually installing the 79MB update over the OTA. Might I also mention that from a discussion in another thread, it seems the SD card may also be to blame. If you install a number of apps to SD you may notice how long it takes for their pictures to appear if you have them on the homescreens. I theorized that the speed of the SD card may be slowing the phone down because the data cannot be accessed quick enough. This may ultimately mean that we'd need a more efficient SD card if the Droid will support it, otherwise Apps2SD may be a useless gem if you're aiming for speed.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to force the homescreens always to use portrait mode, but allow apps to use landscape mode like normal?

I know in ADW you can set not to rotate, but not sure if that is global (meaning apps too) or just fo the launcher.

ricca218

Reaction score
AppstoSD is not the problem... I don't even use the sd card and I still have the redraw issue.. do people who received the actual OTA update have this problem? Or is it only people like me who did the manual update?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
AppstoSD is not the problem... I don't even use the sd card and I still have the redraw issue.. do people who received the actual OTA update have this problem? Or is it only people like me who did the manual update?

Well it may not be AppstoSD specifically, that was just my hunch. I do believe it has something to do with the SD card though, AppstoSD was the only thing that I figured was altered as far as what the phone accessed from the SD card after the 2.2 update.

To answer your other question, the problem seems to mostly stem from the reverse of what you asked; most people are saying it's the OTA crew that are having the problem, hence why many are suggesting to manually install the update. Given you manually installed and are having the problem, it seems to further support my SD card assumption. As Cereal Killer said, the OTA and the 76/79MB manual file are the same thing, it's just that the big one is the full build and not the patched one; makes no real difference.

So I wont rule out the Froyo update itself just yet, but it's becoming safer to say that the culprit lies elsewhere and it was simply the update that caused said culprit to malfunction.

Last edited:

ricca218

Reaction score
I guess my problem is that what I'm considering the original manual install is not what others are. Most people are talking about some 75 mb instal.... the file that I used came from droid life in very early august and was 45mb.My guess is that the 75 is cleaner with less bugs. I really wish I could install the 75 mb now. Sorry for veering off topic everyone.

jbwiden

Reaction score
This happens to me also frg01, frg22d, frg22d rooted :(

It also happened on 2.1 but it was not as bad. sometimes they would never come back but that was much more rare.

Netolu

Reaction score
Stock kernel, only updated via OTA, having the same launcher lag. Recent update did not change the problem for better or worse. Opening keyboard on home screen, or exiting the browser while in landscape mode causes the issue 100% of the time. Takes between 8-15 seconds before icons appear.

OP
K

kingsway8605

Reaction score
It may have to do with under-clocking apparently. Raise your minimum clock speed to stock when screen is on and see if that solves the problem. Or just use launcherpro, that solved the issue for me.

Shanged

Reaction score
Stock, FRG22D, Redraw lag is awful. Pretty sick of it, I'll trade Flash for my fast redraw back.

conanbarb

Reaction score
I've had the redraw lag since I upgraded to stock FRG22D and it was driving me nuts as well. I uninstalled Taskiller, rebooted the phone and now I'm golden.

conanbarb

Reaction score
Sweet! I've been coming to this forum for a long while now and I just saw that was my first post! Now chalk up #2.

jbwiden

Reaction score
I've had the redraw lag since I upgraded to stock FRG22D and it was driving me nuts as well. I uninstalled Taskiller, rebooted the phone and now I'm golden.

I have the issue and I deleted my task killer before 2.2.

rlfitz

Reaction score
I have this same issue too. stock non rooted frg22d. I manually did the 45mb update then tried the larger manual update. made no difference at all. this is really annoying.