1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Redraw issue

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Dunn23, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Dunn23

Dunn23 New Member

Chevy (or any other savvy person),
    I run 4.7 with patch 1, with launchpro as my home. Get a redraw every time I go from handcent back to the home screen. I've tried to set laucher pro to save in memory and cache, but this doesn't seem to help. I had been running saphire with comcache (sp?) And that seemed to reduce the issue. Is there a way to tweek my settings to reduce or eliminate this redraw issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really love the latest version of the rom. Thanks for all the work you do.
  2. kpmoore

kpmoore New Member

I would try ADW launcher. Seems to run a little smoother, the dock bar is badass, and I haven't had a redraw issue yet.
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Do an advanced search for "redraw" in thread titles only. There have been a ton of threads about this and there have been some fixes found. Good luck.
  4. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

ADW was the solution for me, too. Use the "System Persistent" option. You will sacrifice homescreen auto-orientation, but this is what FINALLY got rid of redraws for me. I tried EVERYTHING with Launcherpro.
  5. beatboiii

beatboiii New Member

Theres no possible way to eliminate redraws on Launcher Pro. Ive tried everything and no luck. I recently switched to ADW and its been smooth sailing ever since. I just enabled the save to mem option and typed this command into terminal.

echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 > /data/local.prop

Got it from pg.4 on this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/71909-ss-4-7-launcher-pro-4.html
  6. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Did you try to run that using launcher pro??
  7. beatboiii

beatboiii New Member

^Yep but it always comes back. Especially launching from the browser back to home. Also make sure you uninstall the original launcher using Chevys scripts
  8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I use Widgetlocker which is my "true" home app (so that build.prop trick would probably not help anyway). But it doesn't matter anyway, I don't have redraws.

The only issue I have is that, although the author says he fixed it, shortcuts for apps stored on SD still show up as default android icons if I reboot. However, restarting ADW one time takes care of that. Then, no more unwanted reloads.
  9. wickedkae

wickedkae New Member

So I fixed my launcher pro redraws. I tried every rom possible, none of them helped. I tried every little option setting people suggested, nothing ever worked.

To fix your redraws make sure no apps are installed on sd. Sounds lame but I have not had a single redraw ever since I have put all my apps on internal storage. Phone is beyond snappy and smooth. It may suck, but its a small price to pay til. It can be fixed.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  10. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

That is SO not worth it though!

And, how long have you tested this? I thought I had solutions because I wouldn't get redraws all day long, but they always came back. Plus, I was having redraw issues back before I ever enabled app2sd as well.
  11. wickedkae

wickedkae New Member

Its been like 3 days, and i was able to reproduce the problem by installing apps to SD and then removing them. Now, this is only on chevys rom that I have run this test, BUT like i said, i had this problem with every rom i tired and i swear i have tried most of them. So many late nights lol.

I agree, not being able to throw stuff on the SD as a temp fix sucks, but the redraws are even worse. I also have 57 apps and i run 11 widgets and widget locker. So its not like my phone isn't being put under some usage. But the redraw is gone. This fixed works for me, but it may not work for everyone. But giving it a shot might not hurt. If you find another fix please post it, i hate this problem so much.
  12. iflybyu77

iflybyu77 New Member

Goodbye LauncherPro.

I uninstalled it early this morning and installed ADW. I THOUGHT that Beautiful Widgets wouldn't work with ADW, hence the begrudging switch, but I see that all of my BW widgets work just fine with ADW.

I'm happy to say my phone is funtional 100% of the time again. I've used it to make 25 calls already today, played around with the phone in between and haven't had a redraw issue. Buh bye LPro.. sorry!
  13. briantmathers

briantmathers New Member

Been testing out this command and it has worked for me, LauncherPro has waaay less redraws when it is enabled.
  14. saxman

saxman New Member

In launcherpro disabling autorotation will basically solve this problem. At least it did for me.
  15. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Agreed. Using that command has fixed it for me. Well so far atleast, just did it last night. I like LP way too much to go to a different launcher.
    And to the Guy who said that when he restarts, he gets the default android icon for apps on his home screen that are installed on the SD card. That happens to me as well, just after a reboot. I guess it takes longer for them to load into memory since they're on the SD. Once everything is fully loaded they all come back quickly, and That's the end of it.
  16. stark23x

stark23x New Member

ADW + no apps on the SD card + turn off autorotate and not a single redraw in three days.

Love. It.
  17. syst3merror

syst3merror New Member

I'm sure moving all my apps back to the phone would fix my problems....but it's not worth it to me. I mean, the phone has what..256mb of memory for apps? That fills up pretty damn fast when you have games and apps!

I read somewhere that a lot of issues with having the apps on the SD are that the card the phone comes with is a class 2 which is slower at mounting/reading so you have redraw issues and other problems. I think in the next week or so I'm gonna buy a class 6 card and see if it helps my problems.

Here's to wishful thinking! :)
  18. trothmaster

trothmaster New Member

Hey guys, anyone who has fixed this try this: open browser, then open the keyboard, then hit the home button while the keyboard is still out. do you get a redraw? Doing that for me always forces a redraw!
  19. tameone

tameone New Member

That's because not only are you going back home where the widgets will be to be displayed again, but you are forcing the screens to rotate and the widgets to be redrawn in their new orientation/shape.

Disable rotation will probably help.. Only for the past two days have I been living with out home screen rotation. I've never had bad redraw issues (1 second max), but this eliminated them entirely.

I think having rotation enabled is more of a mental/playing around thing. I rarely ever use the homescreens in landscape mode.. I mean, who does? Individual apps will still rotate.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  20. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Same here except I have many many apps moved to SD card. The key is to only move "standalone" type apps to SD, like games, etc... not your core apps like home launchers, widgets, things that run as services, or things you simply use all the time. Leave those on the phone. Everything else can be on SD, and it shouldn't have ANY effect whatsoever on ADW/LP being able to stay in memory or not.