Redneck engineering at it's finest ...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I started a new job at Office Max this week, selling computers and technology. I thought I had seen it all when it came to computers, but what I saw today took the cake.This girl came in with her parents looking for a new laptop since she was going off to school. She had her old laptop with her, because she wanted us to transfer all her pics and stuff to the new laptop. While talking to her, she mentioned that she had dropped the old laptop, and broke the corner on the bottom of it. I looked at it, and I said "is that Bondo?", and her dad said it was JB Weld, an epoxy, and he has used it to "fix" the broken corner of the laptop, just like using Bondo on a car. Yeah, it had "fixed" it, but I had never seen anyone use JB Weld on a laptop. True redneck engineering, at it's finest.But I sold her a new one, and she left happy. But seriously? JB Weld? On a laptop? I have officially seen it all now. :icon_eek:

BaSHa

Reaction score
What else did you want him to use? Bubblegum? :icon_eek:

hehe:biggrin:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you have to work with what you got:) working as a mechanic for trucks and cars a few years ago .. i have seen a lot of weird uses for jb weld,,, from head gasket :icon_eek: to block repair. holding a gas pedal .. but never seen it used on computer

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
WHAT!!!! No sheet metal screws and muffler tape??? That's a disgrace for all us redneck backyard computer repairers, my sincerest apologies are extended. SORRY.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
A guy at work used JB Weld to fix his motorcycle tire. He rode 50 miles to his house like that. The next day he took it in to get a new tire put on and it was still holding air. True story.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
white-trash-repairs-final-solution-to-avoid-transmission-of-vibrations.jpg

I personally would have used a nail gun with big-o-nails (not a carpenter here)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
you have to work with what you got:) working as a mechanic for trucks and cars a few years ago .. i have seen a lot of weird uses for jb weld,,, from head gasket :icon_eek: to block repair. holding a gas pedal .. but never seen it used on computer

+1 even gas tank ruptures... and attempts at radiator repair.... people are really "inventive" when their budgets dictate it.

I use super glue in place of stitches.. lol

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
MattyP said:
I started a new job at Office Max this week, selling computers and technology. I thought I had seen it all when it came to computers, but what I saw today took the cake.This girl came in with her parents looking for a new laptop since she was going off to school. She had her old laptop with her, because she wanted us to transfer all her pics and stuff to the new laptop. While talking to her, she mentioned that she had dropped the old laptop, and broke the corner on the bottom of it. I looked at it, and I said "is that Bondo?", and her dad said it was JB Weld, an epoxy, and he has used it to "fix" the broken corner of the laptop, just like using Bondo on a car. Yeah, it had "fixed" it, but I had never seen anyone use JB Weld on a laptop. True redneck engineering, at it's finest.But I sold her a new one, and she left happy. But seriously? JB Weld? On a laptop? I have officially seen it all now. :icon_eek:

At least it wasn't duck tape....