Redesigned S Pen, two new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Air Command features revealed by leak

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Image-of-the-S-Pen-for-Galaxy-Note-14.jpg

iGyaan is reporting that the S Pen will run off of a big update to Bluetooth LE (low energy) which should ease up on the consumption needs there. Air Command mode will now also have access to a dictionary, text dictation and an Always On-Demand memo app, too.

Reports say that the phone has a “border-less” display. Which is very vague when everyone’s reporting that the Note 7 will be dual-curved, but maybe the pixels might actually touch the edge this time. We would have to wait and see.

I love the screen-off memo feature of the Note 5 on my Note 4 thanks to Mushroom, that allows you to take down notes just as you take out the S Pen. It’ll be interesting to see if all this new software will take it to the next level!

Source

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Report from Korea Herald Reports about the Upgrade of the S-Pen!

From the new Note UX beta, we already saw that there will be movers and shakers in the S Pen realm when the Note 7 lands. Moreover, the Unpacked event invitations that Samsung sent out today feature the S Pen front and center throughout the header image, as you can see above.
Today, the boss of Samsung Mobile, Koh Dong-jin, confirmed the renewed focus on the stylus with the following statement: "We have improved ‘note’ functions this time, upgrading software for user convenience.” What could he mean by that? Well, the new Note UX interface that is currently in beta testing on some Note 5 handsets in Korea, folds all the disparate stylus applications that we had so far, like Action Memo or S Note, into one app called simply Notes, so that's what the exec might have meant by saying that the S Pen software will be more "convenient" for its future users.
Mr Koh had some other things to add at the interview with reporters about the Note 7 unveiling on August 2, namely on how they intend to proceed with the company's mobile strategy going forward, and the competition with the eventual iPhone 7. “We should compete with our own competitiveness. The most important thing is finding our own way that is well accepted by customers,” said the exec, and added “We could struggle in the third quarter but it wouldn’t be bad. Because the market has already saturated, we won’t stick to elevating sales figures alone.” We wouldn't call scoring almost $7 billion profit last quarter exactly "struggling," plus the Note 7 might bring a boost to the traditionally slow Q3, too.

Source

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Am I the only one who misses how well the Pen worked on the Note 2? I use screen write ALL the time. Before all you had to do was double the the screen and start writing. I hope they add S Pen short cuts like that for us to have control how we want. Or better yet if Nova or someone jumped on board with more S Pen shortcuts and functions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who misses how well the Pen worked on the Note 2? I use screen write ALL the time. Before all you had to do was double the the screen and start writing. I hope they add S Pen short cuts like that for us to have control how we want. Or better yet if Nova or someone jumped on board with more S Pen shortcuts and functions.

Nope you're not the only one. I've adapted after almost 2 years of the "improved" way of doing things. The only reason I want M on my Note4 is for the screen off quick note capability and that's because it's even faster than screen on, double tap s pen on screen, write note. Honestly I use my Gear S for quick notes now more than I do my phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

gbsa

Reaction score
Nope you're not the only one. I've adapted after almost 2 years of the "improved" way of doing things. The only reason I want M on my Note4 is for the screen off quick note capability and that's because it's even faster than screen on, double tap s pen on screen, write note. Honestly I use my Gear S for quick notes now more than I do my phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
I use this app on my note 3 works great!

Screen off Memo for Note 4 & 3 - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited:
OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
A new report has been published today which sheds light on three potential new tricks that the Galaxy Note 7′s S Pen has picked up.

The first new trick is called Translate. As the name suggests, it will help users translate words that are in a foreign language. Screenshots show that users will simply need to hover the S Pen over a word to translate it, they can also tap on the speaker icon to hear the word pronounced. This will eliminate the need for users to launch a separate app to translate words and is certainly going to prove very useful. Magnify is the second trick and it’s self-explanatory as well. It will enable users to enlarge areas of the screen by hovering the S Pen over them. Last but not the least, there’s Glance which will help users quickly switch between apps by hovering the S Pen over the thumbnail. All of this is above and beyond the new S Pen’s rumored ability to write underwater.

What do you think about these features, do any of these feel like just novelties or do you think you could get a fair amount of use from them?

Source

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
If that translate feature will work from PDF's it will be huge for me. I get tons of manuals that are German or Italian and it's a pain the translate them.

Magnify is a possible good feature I think I would use that but writing under water has no real use to me. That seems like a big novelty item.

Not only do I not swim with my phone I have never been under water and wished I had a pen and paper.....

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Not only do I not swim with my phone I have never been under water and wished I had a pen and paper.....

You're missing out, swimming and using the phone is the new Pokémon rage...

I have wanted to write something while diving, but doubt the phone would work at 50+ feet under ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You're missing out, swimming and using the phone is the new Pokémon rage...

I have wanted to write something while diving, but doubt the phone would work at 50+ feet under ;)
Remember to pick up milk after this shark leaves.

gbsa

Reaction score
da46a1f23e23dacef893ca5afd04713d.jpg

Thanks a bunch!
Edit. I use an S View cover and if I open it it wakes the screen but if I remove the s pen before opening the cover, when I open the cover it opens this app as I wanted it to.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Your welcome

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk