Redbox is Planning to Raise Movie and Game Rental Rates

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
redbox-price-increase.png

Here's a bit of off topic news that might be important to some of you folks!

Redbox's foray into streaming teamed up with Verizon was an unmitigated disaster. The service actually attracted more criminal activity than it did real customers. Because of this, Redbox and Verizon shut down the service in October. It now appears that Redbox needs to recoup some of those losses, because they have announced they will be raising their rental rates soon.

First, on December 2nd, DVD movie rentals from a kiosk will go from $1.20 per day to $1.50 per day, and BluRay disks will rise from $1.50 per day to $2 per day. The highest price change will be their video game rentals. On January 6th, those will go from $2 per day to $3 per day.

Above is a screencap of their new change, and here's a link to the Redbox landing page: Redbox

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Still worth the price IMO.
I definitely enjoy streaming when I can, but certain movies are much better on BluRay.

S5 tap'n

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Yeah still worth it. As for video games I hope they start getting PS4/XB1 games.

Note 4 me

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Still worth the price IMO.
I definitely enjoy streaming when I can, but certain movies are much better on BluRay.

S5 tap'n
It's really not any different than past movie stores, which is why they were considered so great to begin with. It used to be about $6 for a three day game rental, and now it's $9. No, it's not worth it, but I'll continue using free codes online.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
With popcorn time now available for all platforms there is no reason to subscribe to redbox, Netflix, Hulu or vudu. Plus you can chromecast it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Those are really decent prices. Rent a movie from your cable provider and you will be paying double.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Not a bad increase imo.....

sent from my hot Note Pro!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. Still not a bad deal. Though, I subscribe to their deals anyway & almost only ever rent from them when I have a free rental or rent one, get one free.

We rent through the cable company or the Xbox more often just out of sheer convenience of not having to leave the house...

Sent from my Note 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
When I cut the cord, I stopped pay for everything. While I don't torrent, I have other resources I use to enjoy my TV. It won't be too long before broadcasters are no longer broadcasting and content from the provider goes directly to streaming services. Instead of having TV channels, you will be paying Netflix, Hulu or DirecTV. The difference will be is who has the best content selection for the best price. And ads will again be something you pay for.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
With popcorn time now available for all platforms there is no reason to subscribe to redbox, Netflix, Hulu or vudu. Plus you can chromecast it.
How can you Chromecast it?