Red infrared light on why??? (red dot)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I have cappuccino all over me, my poodle and my phone..Aside from the discomfort..I needed the laugh..You see sometimes when you ask people their opinion, you just might get it..These being more of a tech community..I say the answers were mainly what I expected..But most cases, if you were in any trouble, with your device..You would be helped by these same individuals with concern and care.

I'm not speaking for everyone however..lol I have seen some overly abstract answers throughout my time and assistance with my fellow members..

PS...Still Lmao! Good show! And btw..I too have witnessed the crazy flash on the top left, but it was so fast I thought I was crazy..lol Now I know I looked up the many parts and thought to myself, ok I guess I Didn't just see that then...lol But I indeed did, Didn't I?..thanks again! All of you! Peace for sure! The drummer:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
First of all, being rude to other members wiil get you nowhere but banned. Sencond of all. Stop posting multiple times just to bump the thread. If you get no replies then maybe just maybe its because no one knows the answer to your question.

And finally, I have a Droid 3 and I noticed this dim red light too.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
first of all I couldn't care less about bumping this thread. I'm just clearly stating my opinion secondly don't tell me wot to do. I know my rights. its freedom of speech behbeh.

and finallly droid3 is not the same as the droid 2 global...droid 3 sucks. hahahahaha.
REPORTED. :). Have a nice day.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this continues I will close this thread and issue additional infractions!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
REPORTED. :). Have a nice day.

Thanks by the way..I always try to help, and be assertive..hope you all have a great night..I'm headed to Cm7 Gingy kernel..wish me luck! Lol

CM74D2 runnin to gingy kernal..

pdmorson

Reaction score
Yes its a ir light

I have a droid bionic and i have the same ir light one of the reason the ir light comes on is if you have your (In-Pocket Detection) turned on and then it only turns on if you phone is vertical some how its used when your phone is put in your pocket it uses the ir to turn off the screen hope that answers your question

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
What if you want the screen on in your pocket so that your pants can watch their favorite show? So selfish to just ignore their needs.

hey412

Reaction score
the red infrared light on the top left of the phone where there is those two little sensor holes you can barely see. in the right sensor hole the tiny red light just randomly went on on my girlfriends droid pro shes had it for two weeks and it just went on today. it is a dim red light it also happened to my droid 2 global after having it for a week after a couple hours i reset my phone because i got annoyed and it went away but it isnt that noticable im just really anal. it doesnt effect the phones performance from what i can tell nothing is different but why did it go on all of a sudden? one of the sensors is for face detection i think thats the one on the left and i think the one on the right is for autobrightness detection. she doesnt use autobrightness. does anyone know why the light is on?? please help

they're watching.

R34juggalo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s6
pics might help instead of bumping. Im with everyone on it being an LED light but pics can clarify.
To clarify things, here is a pic that you can plainly see that it is not the LED light that everyone assumes. Auto brightness is OFF, S beam and NFC are both off and Face detection is also OFF. It can only be seen while taking a pic or video of the screen with another phone. That's how it was discovered. So no, it is not the LED.
pics might help instead of bumping. Im with everyone on it being an LED light but pics can clarify.

Attachments

• 20160605_104624.png
    20160605_104624.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is an old thread being resurrected. Reflection from the flash? If is only seen when a picture is taken, I assume it has to be associated with light reflecting on the sensor. (In your case)
And since you can't see it otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. There's nothing nefarious going on here.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I agree.. it just may be light reflection...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not to disagree with you both, but the light seen in the pic IS radiating from the chip in the diode. Tiny diodes of the type seen in these phones have a tiny square or round chip and then there is an extremely thin wire that connects to the top of that chip in the center. It is seen here as a dark spot in the center of the light, and you can even see the fine shadow of the wire heading toward the top (see below).
b6162c7ba55d87b555fb6d3a1bd53315.jpg

This is an infrared LED emitter that is used in conjunction with an infrared detector next to it in order to sense reflection of the light and to determine proximity of something as it nears the face of the phone. It could be to detect hand movements or to determine if the phone is in a pocket. See the two images below of the motherboard and of both the emitter, the smaller one to the left (bottom in the pic), and the detector located on the board to the right of the speaker.

8a4fb4ac8c9d0b940f82ddded434ce6a.jpg
cc398839bfecc3d4b4b76ecd82bf5b1d.jpg

Here's a better pic of a combination device designed for the same purpose in an S6.

b00b77ba3a99c5617c680421467eecc7.jpg

Since infrared light is invisible to the naked human eye it doesn't appear lit to us, however digital cameras, including those in our phones can detect infrared light. To prevent that light from interfering with visible light photography these cameras have an infrared filter in front of the sensor. However even with that filter some near infrared light manages to skip through and the sensor sees it as violet in color.

Here's another image found on a Google search for infrared emitter in photo.

aac7fb0a9ec9618b3c1d289c408ece61.jpg

This one is much brighter than the one in the OP picture, but those used in conjunction with a proximity sensor on phones don't need to be so bright since they are looking for only very close proximity.

Below is a shot of one of the two infrared emitters on the bottom of my Turbo 2 and the one at top right which together with the detector are used to sense hand motion and trigger the active display. Then there are a couple more shots showing the different stages of operation.

You'll first see the three emitters, then just the lower left emitter in two different brightnesses, dim which is standby, and bright which is to achieve higher accuracy once any movement is detected. After it has confirmed movement it then turns on the active display and finally you'll see the active display and the infrared emitters are shut off during the display.

It was able to detect my hand moving in total darkness, the whole reason for this being so that in a dark room such as while sleeping, if you wake you can wave your hand in the general direction of your phone and it will light to show the clock and any outstanding notifications.

88eb0bd20e6e6f40e62cc53ccf2d3ad1.jpg
a43d692294e6fdc7df49e848ea6e2a30.jpg
c88946cc8a55f532cf3824db16dff907.jpg
9cf32d0ec66a07f45547ef34f00a68a3.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: