Red infrared light on why??? (red dot)

rage813

Reaction score
the red infrared light on the top left of the phone where there is those two little sensor holes you can barely see. in the right sensor hole the tiny red light just randomly went on on my girlfriends droid pro shes had it for two weeks and it just went on today. it is a dim red light it also happened to my droid 2 global after having it for a week after a couple hours i reset my phone because i got annoyed and it went away but it isnt that noticable im just really anal. it doesnt effect the phones performance from what i can tell nothing is different but why did it go on all of a sudden? one of the sensors is for face detection i think thats the one on the left and i think the one on the right is for autobrightness detection. she doesnt use autobrightness. does anyone know why the light is on?? please help

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Well if the light was infrared you couldn't see it so I wouldn't worry about it.:)

If you mean the orange/red LED then I think that's a system notification, low battery, or low memory.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Red led usually means low battery. Make sure there's no notifications in your top bar. Just to see if its a notification reminder for something else. Also go to settings: about phone: system updates. Might be getting an OTA.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Red led usually means low battery. Make sure there's no notifications in your top bar. Just to see if its a notification reminder for something else. Also go to settings: about phone: system updates. Might be getting an OTA.

Sent from somewhere...
No dude its not the led light its one of the sensors on the top left

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Bump

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Bumpppp

joker402

Reaction score
pics might help instead of bumping. Im with everyone on it being an LED light but pics can clarify.

CBLaVey

Reaction score
The flashing red light you are referring to is the infrared light from your proximity sensor. The light emits an infrared beam which is read by the sensor next to it. It does not mean anything. That is just how it works.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you shouldn't be able to see the infrared light.....

CBLaVey

Reaction score
It is all about physics. IR is a specific range of freqs, though it is true that it has a "fuzzy border" with visible light. You're seeing the tail in the near-IR. Its just a sub-harmonic frequency generated by the non-linear characteristic of a diode, and it just happens to fall in the border of visible light. Which is why you can see the flash, but not the beam.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It is all about physics. IR is a specific range of freqs, though it is true that it has a "fuzzy border" with visible light. You're seeing the tail in the near-IR. Its just a sub-harmonic frequency generated by the non-linear characteristic of a diode, and it just happens to fall in the border of visible light. Which is why you can see the flash, but not the beam.

learn something new everyday, thanks!

captain howdy

Reaction score
Omg. You guys are no help. "You shouldn't be able to see an infared light" omg you can't see it very well but I have the droid 2 global too and I have the same problem. I was wondering the same Thing as to why it shows Up once in a while. So either give us some answersor don't respond.thank you

Ever give much thought that perhaps you might want to take your phone in to a tech and let them look at it?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Omg. You guys are no help. "You shouldn't be able to see an infared light" omg you can't see it very well but I have the droid 2 global too and I have the same problem. I was wondering the same Thing as to why it shows Up once in a while. So either give us some answersor don't respond.thank you

Maybe, just maybe, YOU should firmly grasp your hair and yank hard enough to remove your head from your rectum...that way you can scroll up and look at the response posted by CBLaVey, his answer seems to be the most informed as well as most likely to be correct.

Furthermore, there were several requests for the OP to post a picture in order to better understand his question...yet a picture was never posted, so all anyone had to go on was supposition.

Last edited by a moderator: