Red Eye of Death

5shepherds

Reaction score
Currently my Moto Droid is stuck booting on the red eye, I am unable to get into recovery mode, it just stays on the eye...any help would be awesome

chicojd

Reaction score
Currently my Moto Droid is stuck booting on the red eye, I am unable to get into recovery mode, it just stays on the eye...any help would be awesome

Recovery comes before the red eye. As you are powering up your phone, press and hold "X" to get into recovery. If that's not working, go through the forum and find one of the many .sbf recovery threads and restore your device using an .sbf file. I've done this many times and it works EVERY time.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Recovery comes before the red eye. As you are powering up your phone, press and hold "X" to get into recovery. If that's not working, go through the forum and find one of the many .sbf recovery threads and restore your device using an .sbf file. I've done this many times and it works EVERY time.

Without brave people like you we wouldn't have as much fun with our Droids as we do. :)

kristoff125

Reaction score
I've done the SBF recovery plenty of times, each time it says it failed, but it works just fine and is back to stock.

brando56894

Reaction score

Same here, I never really worry about bricking my droid its just figuring out how far back I have to go to get it to work again.

jaed569

Reaction score
My guess is you didn't wipe your cache/data before you installed Froyo. That typically causes a "boot loop" (red eye of death as you call it)

OP

5shepherds

Reaction score
Actually i did wipe before the install. It was strange though because rather than shut down and go into nandroid to back up it tried to just reboot, and then that is when it went to the red eye. I have tried and tried to get into the recovery menu by pressing the power and "x" button, but it seems to bypass and got to moto screen and then the eye and stays there. Is there a particular link for the sbf file and instructions that is a better one? thank all of you for the responses

OP

5shepherds

Reaction score
My guess is you didn't wipe your cache/data before you installed Froyo. That typically causes a "boot loop" (red eye of death as you call it)
actually it doesn't loop at all, it goes from moto emblem, to moto emblem, then to the droid eye and stays there...the eye is still animated, but it will not move from there unless i do a battery pull, power button is useless

J

Johnly

actually it doesn't loop at all, it goes from moto emblem, to moto emblem, then to the droid eye and stays there...the eye is still animated, but it will not move from there unless i do a battery pull, power button is useless
If you get the eye, the OS is loaded and finalizing. You should boot into recovery and re store a previous backup that worked and go from there.

Taegost

Reaction score
Actually i did wipe before the install. It was strange though because rather than shut down and go into nandroid to back up it tried to just reboot, and then that is when it went to the red eye. I have tried and tried to get into the recovery menu by pressing the power and "x" button, but it seems to bypass and got to moto screen and then the eye and stays there. Is there a particular link for the sbf file and instructions that is a better one? thank all of you for the responses

Here's what you do:

1) Shut down the Droid (yank battery if need be)
2) Slide open the keyboard
3) Hold the X key (DO NOT LET GO)
4) Hold the power button until the screen turns on
5) CONTINUE HOLDING THE X KEY until the recovery starts

The recovery will start after the Moto M and before the red eye, but you *MUST* hold X from prior to the power button being pushed until it comes up.
I say prior and until because I don't know what the actual timing is, and y'know what? I don't care... I do it this way, works like a charm every time.
And believe me, in the last 2 days I've got stuck at the REoD and had to do a Nandroid Recovery at least a dozen times before I realized that even though the ChevyNo1 kernels in ROM Manager *say* FroYo, it was downloading the Eclair ones... Which I had forgotten was *not* the version I am on :)

foxtrot21aplha

Reaction score
My girl had the same thing.when she took it to verizon they said her droid had caught a virus and they couldn't get it to reboot.so they just gave her a new one.but fortunate for her she didn't root her moto droid so they were able to give her a new one.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

Same here, I never really worry about bricking my droid its just figuring out how far back I have to go to get it to work again.

Agreed, totally agreed. I cant think of anyway that I can brick my phone...wait, I take that back, this phone is a brick. I think I could throw the file system through a glass window and totally shatter the window. Droid's OS (any version) would survive a nuclear holocaust right beside cockroaches and twinkies. dancedroid

kristoff125

Reaction score
My girl had the same thing.when she took it to verizon they said her droid had caught a virus and they couldn't get it to reboot.so they just gave her a new one.but fortunate for her she didn't root her moto droid so they were able to give her a new one.

They woulda given her a new one anyways, they don't care.