1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Recovery] RZR SPR-based *update.zips-battery charging-more*

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by raidzero, Dec 18, 2010.

1. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Reposted here since nobody goes to my little themes forum.. :)

Overview
    ---------------------------------
    *RZrecovery*:
    -=Overclocked to 1.1ghz, LV kernel=-
    -=Arbitrary update.zip selection (don't have to rename files to update.zip).=-
    -=rom.tgz support (of course)=-
    -=Unsigned update.zip support=-
    -=ability to wipe any partition on the device (system, data, boot, cache, misc, recovery)=-
    -=No automatic backup when installing a rom.tgz=-
    -=Pretty colors ;)=-
    -=Arbitrary kernel/recovery image install=-
    -=Wipe battery statistics=-
    -=Help menu=-
    -=Battery charging!=-
    ---------------------------------

Background
    So as you probably know, I love SPR for its rom.tgz support. I decided to dive into it and start modding it, so I got the source from DroidMod.

The first thing I did was install my custom overclock kernel to get SPR running at 1.1ghz, which greatly sped up my ROM install routine. Next, I changed the colors to blue instead of orange. Then I got rid of the automatic backup function when installing a rom.tgz. (For my ROM this makes sense since one of the features is on the fly themeing from recovery - metamorph style). After that I made it accept arbitrary update.zip's by giving the user a selection of update.zips on the sdcard to install. I verified that it would accept unsigned update.zips. After these changes I added some functions to install arbitrary kernel and recovery images from recovery, in img format. I believe a kernel and ramdisk should be united, as mine are made for each other. If you install an anykernel package it will extract yiour current ramdisk and put it with a new kernel. I don't like this, so I changed it. I did the same thing for recovery images. Finally, as you might expect, I spend a as LOT of time in recovery. This is the big one, with help from trevorj of DroidMod, I enabled battery charging while in recovery. He sent me a version of SPRecovery that he had reworked to include battery charging. The only problem was it required all kinds of alien technology to run. I had to install a squashfs image on my sdcard that this version of SPR used and contained all the extra functionality that I did not need or want (wifi, ubifs, squashfs, kernel modules like crazy). I isolated what charged the battery and stuck it in my recovery image, which is just a single img file or SBF for ease of use. Without trevorj, none of the charging stuff would be possible.

Screenshots:
    dancedroid
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    dancedroid
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    dancedroid
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    dancedroid
    action shots:
    My Droid charging: [​IMG]
    TanknSpank's Droid charging: [​IMG]

Downloads
    (choose your preference. The MD5sum is provided for the SBF because face it, SBF's are dangerous if corrupted. Pleae verify before flashing.)

SBF: http://www.rzroms.com/droid/recovery/RZR-0.1.4-recovery-only.sbf
    SBF MD5: 00325709f475de3afa8db1fc8f816f1c *RZR-0.1.4-recovery-only.sbf
    IMG:
    http://www.rzroms.com/droid/recovery/RZR-0.1.4.img

How to flash an SBF: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

How to flash an IMG: put the img file on your sdcard. use this to flash it:

#flash_image recovery /sdcard/RZR-0.1.4.img
    #reboot recovery

Enjoy!

Disclaimer:
    I do this for fun, make no guarantees and accept no responsibility for anything you do with my files.

Credits:
    Again, I have to say this could NOT have happened without trevorj of DroidMod. The whole charging concept and execution was his idea. These are my files from my ROM but I would have no idea which ones I needed to get if it weren't for Trevor already doing this eight months ago. The script that launches and monitors the battery daemon was originally written by him, modified by me to fit into my recovery image.
    Tim-o-tato, pandroid, tanknspank, thizzmark for testing and encouragement.

2. grinchy

grinchy New Member

kinda like having cw/spr all in one :) nice!!!!
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Pretty nice, now only if you could get it to work with rom manager! lol
  4. raidzero

pretty sure all it takes to work with rom manager is to get koush to add it to his database of alternate recoveries..
  5. jeffe65

jeffe65 New Member

Nice! I'm partial to SPRecovery because that's what I got started on. With this, I'd just have to be careful not to hit the "Wipe Boot" option by accident. :icon_eek:
  6. raidzero

Yeah.. I am gonna add some confirmations on the wipe menu.. ;)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App