[RECOVERY] [Recovery] RZR SPR-based *update.zips-battery charging-more*

Discussion in 'Raidzero' started by raidzero, Dec 18, 2010.

1. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In light of this post, I'll just offer that I did a successful flash from GPA13 to GPA14 using RZR. I only wiped cache and nothing else.

Brandon
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    It could be something with CM7. Maybe someone who knows him should get aholdof CVPCS? He's still maintaining CM7 for the D1, isn't he?
  3. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RZR and failed flashes on Droid 1

I've been meaning to chime in here for a while, but I thought it was just me. Obviously not.

With CM7 on the Droid 1, updating with RZR is hit-or-miss in terms of booting after a CM7 upgrade, while I've *never* had issues like this with Clockwork Recovery (CWR).

When I tried RZR (over several CM updates) I had it set to OC at 800 MHz. I'd download the CM7 nightly and the appropriate gapps and reboot into RZR. Then I'd back it up (including the secure are... why isn't that defaulted on?) and wipe the cache partition. Finally, I'd flash CM7 and then flash gapps (I always flash both nowadays). Then I'd reboot to Android.

About half of these attempts would result in a M-logo hang requiring a battery pull. With CWR, that virtually never happens.

I found that simply re-flashing CM7 and gapps with RZR would tend to result in a successful boot past the M-logo. No need to wipe or anything else. However, between this and the lack of Rom Manager hooks it's anything but one-button upgrade... any time saved is lost in the manual backup and update steps and more importantly the high failure rate.

I don't think this has anything to do with CM7 itself. Same release, same gapps but with RZR (at 800 MHz) you have to re-flash it half the time, while it works fine otherwise (e.g., when flashed via CWR, or re-flashed successfully).

I have not tested without overclocking, however my phone is normally set to the 550-800 MHz OC range and is rock-solid in terms of not randomly rebooting or corrupting any data, so I have confidence that it's not a hardware thing (otherwise I'd expect similar failure rates across the board). Since it always hangs at the M-logo I don't think it's even getting into CM7 properly: this looks to me like a flash failure. Maybe flashing while overclocked isn't a good thing - has anyone seen this happen with NO overclocking?

I like RZR... it's far faster and in many ways superior to CWR, but with the frequent flash failures and the lack of integration with Rom Manager it isn't saving me any time on my normal update cycle. I can deal with the lack of RM integration, but the flash failures are a showstopper.

I'm also curious: where is the source repository for RZR? I wonder how much delta there is between RZR and CWR in terms of those automation hooks...
  4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is kind of a hard thing to diagnose. Upgrading CM nightlies has always been hit or miss whether on CW or RZR. I always assumed it was because of some tweaks I make to my build.
  5. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I ("that guy") said was: "Part of the problem IMHO is that RZR is closed source (at least it appears to be that way). Therefore nobody can investigate what might be going on except the author." (quote linked to my full post.)

I don't have an issue with using RZR even if it was closed source... it would just make investigating issues with it difficult given all the hardware it can run on. It's now clear that others are developing against it, but I didn't encounter a public repository so I got the impression it was closed source (not that I was sure it actually could be closed... I haven't looked into how the base code is licensed).

Also, in my earlier post here I've finally made that request. Usually with open source software (particularly in the Android community here) the source is more readily available, which led to my original doubt.

Edit: This of course depends on the license model being used... if RZR source is under a permissive license and it is being restricted to a certain group of developers then that's how it is.
  6. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey you are "that guy"! Gimmie that mcguyver pic & I'd recognize you!
  7. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen any CM builds that would fail to boot past the M-logo and then, on re-flashing (and not wiping anything else) worked fine. That's why I suspect a flash failure of some sort, something I've never seen on CWR. The obvious difference is the lack of overclocking there, though it could be something else too... thus a delta between CWR and RZR might prove enlightening (which is where the source comes in).
  8. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Asking RaidZero: is the source for RZR available to the community and what license is it under (e.g., Apache 2.0)?
  9. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Source: https://github.com/raidzero/RZrecovery

I will add this to OP. I hope to get this ball rolling, get RZR for more devices. You will notice a lot of it is still simple shell script. The update.zip code is the exact same as eclair/SPR, aside from the allowing of arbitrary filenames.

I was nervous about releasing source since I do not know C, and therefor have worked very hard on it, so it is closer to me than if I did fully know C, and could have done all this in a few hours instead of months :p All C I know, I have learned from this project.
  10. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    oh yeah, this is nowhere near CWM. I doubt you will find any shared code. I did borrow the list sorting from CWM though. SPR was made from Eclair. I do plan to port it to Froyo at least.
  11. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! I certainly don't claim to know a lot about how recovery works (yet) nor the full history of it. However this will make it easier to debug things and to make more educated contributions where possible.

I have a better understanding now: SPR is the basis for CWR and RZR, and if the CWR and RZR deltas (vs. SPR) aren't intersecting then I wonder if it's got to do with SPR itself and how it deals with overclocking on the Droid (assuming that's even the real reason this seems to be acting up sometimes).

Thanks again! :)

Edit: I feel a little silly for not finding that repo myself... I was searching on RZR and RaidZero Recovery, not RZrecovery...
  12. greeknasty

greeknasty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    alright so i pretty much found somewhat of a temp. solution for this stuck at M bs..at least this works for me...its not a solution but if you really want to update to the latest nightly just try this

flash the update..reboot into android..youll get stuck..pull the battery out and reboot back into recovery..wipe cache..flash the nightly..and it should work..
    ive done this the past 2 nightlies..
    oh and as someone stated before..you must flash the gapps again..even if you dont do a full wipe (which confuses me but oh damn well)
  13. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    the way I've been doing it is by wiping /system only and installing. Seems to go fine every time that way
  14. droidlady05

droidlady05 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had a problem with RZrecovery. Those who don't like RZrecovery should switch back to whatever they were using before and stop bashing.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  15. MartyMacGyver

MartyMacGyver New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Who's bashing it? Nobody here... all I'm seeing are bug reports. Not everyone is affected but that doesn't lessen their importance (especially when it comes to something like flashing the phone).
Search tags for this page
could not load needed library libc.so for /system/bin/sh
orange sprdroid base
os sprdroid

rzr recovery

rzr recovery android
rzr recovery droid x
rzr-2.0.3-recovery only.sbf
spr recovery
sprdroid base user 2.3.5
sprdroid base-user 2.3.5