Recovery Console Problems(not typical)

roflcopterguy

Reaction score
So I have a Droid X that I was trying to deroot and reflash back to stock, but I didn't think things through and I now need to clear the cache to get it booting. The kicker is that the home button is non-functioning, it stopped registering presses a while ago and as you know, you must hold it to get to the recovery console.

If anyone has any ideas to force it to boot into record short of ripping the phone apart and 'pressing' the home button by hardwiring it, please let me know, I've exhausted my knowledge on this so far.

Thanks in advanced.

leftspin

Reaction score
So I have a Droid X that I was trying to deroot and reflash back to stock, but I didn't think things through and I now need to clear the cache to get it booting. The kicker is that the home button is non-functioning, it stopped registering presses a while ago and as you know, you must hold it to get to the recovery console.

If anyone has any ideas to force it to boot into record short of ripping the phone apart and 'pressing' the home button by hardwiring it, please let me know, I've exhausted my knowledge on this so far.

Thanks in advanced.

If the home key is permanently broken then you're not going to be able to boot into recovery from being powered off. Unfortunately there's just no other way to do it. You could try flashing the SBF again, sometimes I've had them be able to boot straight into the OS without having to do the data wipe afterwards.

Your only other option really is to take it to Verizon and play dumb, say you picked it up this morning and it just wouldn't boot (or just tell them what actually happened, but if you do that there's no chance they'll replace the phone).

OP
R

roflcopterguy

Reaction score
If the home key is permanently broken then you're not going to be able to boot into recovery from being powered off. Unfortunately there's just no other way to do it. You could try flashing the SBF again, sometimes I've had them be able to boot straight into the OS without having to do the data wipe afterwards.

Your only other option really is to take it to Verizon and play dumb, say you picked it up this morning and it just wouldn't boot (or just tell them what actually happened, but if you do that there's no chance they'll replace the phone).

I'll try reflashing the SBF, is there any chance that an SBF could be created that would force it to boot into recovery so that you could flash that one, wipe data, then flash the usual SBF? Or to make one that would wipe data as it installs?

leftspin

Reaction score
roflcopterguy said:
I'll try reflashing the SBF, is there any chance that an SBF could be created that would force it to boot into recovery so that you could flash that one, wipe data, then flash the usual SBF? Or to make one that would wipe data as it installs?

I think the Linux iso sbf wipes data after you flash it, I can't get you a link because I'm on my phone but search the forum for it. I don't think there's an sbf that forces it to reboot to recovery afterward.

OP
R

roflcopterguy

Reaction score
Alright, I'll try that as soon as this thing recharges enough. Thanks for your help.

leftspin

Reaction score
Alright, I'll try that as soon as this thing recharges enough. Thanks for your help.

Make sure it's actually charging. If it isn't booting into the OS or the 'charging' screen (just a picture of a battery charging, fullscreen) then it isn't. If that's the case you'll need to use someone else's battery or charge yours in their phone