Recovering lost photos

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid MAXX' started by Hodor, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I have a friend with a Maxx who let another friend look at the photos on his phone, and God only knows how, the guy accidentally deleted his whole gallery! My friend is not a forum kind of guy, so on his behalf, is there anything I can do for him? He is not rooted, and on 4.4.4 I am going to go over there tonight and look at his phone, and am looking for suggestions on what might be able to be done. Thanks all!

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    If the photos were indeed deleted from the Gallery and not their actual location they should still be there. What you see in the Gallery are only cached images of items and not really stored in that app. Go to settings - the app manager and scroll to all. Find Gallery and clear the cache then restart. It may take some time for the images to re-index. If what was deleted somewhere else was not also store somewhere else like DropBox or an SD card then you may be out of luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    This kind of thing keeps coming up in threads lately. There are programs available that claim to help recover deleted items like pictures. I haven't seen anyone have much luck with them, but might be worth a shot.

If the pictures are indeed deleted from the phone, the best thing your friend can do is STOP USING THE PHONE immediately to save anything. Standard phone calls, texts, etc should be ok, but when you delete something, whether on the computer or one of these devices, all you're actually deleting is the path to that file. The file itself is still saved until it's written over. Basically, the device registers the space that was taken up by those files (the pictures in this case) as free space, even though it's actually still there. However, the more the device is used, the more likely it is to save something over that new "free" space and the pictures will be gone forever.

This is how the FBI and etc often catch people that used a computer to write ransom notes and etc. Even if they delete it, if it's not written over (and in this case, written over more than once), it can still be recovered.

I'd recommend a Google search of android photo recovery software and try your luck there, but as I said, I haven't seen much success with it, so your friend may be out of luck.

If nothing else, this is a good time to get him setup with automatic backup to DropBox, Google+, Microsoft OneDrive, (and the list goes on).

I never worry about my pictures because they auto backup to at least 2 of those. If I remember right, OneDrive backs up whenever I'm on wifi and G+ does the same, but only when I'm charging. That way I'm ALWAYS backed up to one and get backed up to the other over night while I'm on my home wifi network and charging the phone.

Hope that helps a little! Let us know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Thank you guys, I will let you know how it goes...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    UPDATE : Well, as I feared, there seems to be nothing we can do to get the pictures back.

If there was a way to root 4.4.4 there might have been something I could have used, but that's not possible yet, and by time it is, it will have been too long.

Well, thanks anyway everyone....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Sorry you couldn't get 'er. Did you at least set your friend up with auto backup!? Haha

7. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Oh yeah, he's learned his leason there and is now having all his photos automatically saved to his Google drive lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    This is something that I think has long been engineered by the cellular carriers. By specifying that there are no removable SD card slots on these phones, it's a way to increase data consumption, and obviously with no more unlimited data and paying data on a tiered basis, results in the cellular carriers making more money and we want up paying the price in the long run.

For what it's worth, I received in the mail yesterday my very inexpensive On The Go (OTG) USB SD card adapter. Plugged it into my phone last night and downloaded a couple of different apps that allow me to gain access to the external SD card and do file transfers from internal memory to external memory just as easy as I could with the card inserted into previous phones that had slots.

[​IMG]

9. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    If somebody was smart, they'd build this functionality into a case with a retractable cable. I couldn't see using something like what you've got there as I'm walking around living life, but if you could insert the card into a reader like this that's built into the case of your phone & has a cable that retracts into the case when you're not using it so you can charge the phone/etc without the cable dangling, I think you'd be in great shape.

Glad my Note 4 has 32GB onboard and can take up to 128GB external sd for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  10. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    That WOULD be excellent. Wonder if it's out there already... Not seeing any.

The reader I got is a bit bulky but there are others which are very small and plug directly into the USB port, being only a small hardware dongle... Some are MicroSD to MicroUSB only, others have another end with a USB-A connector for the ability to take from the phone and move directly to the PC. These are usually a flip over style, and are small enough to carry on a keychain with the included loop and tether.

Just "google" "USB OTG MicroSD Dongle".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    That's a PC based app. I am still looking for one that will run on Android and work. Any ideas?

Search tags for this page
android picture limit
droid turbo external memory
droid turbo recovering delete photos
lost all photos droid turbo
micro sd usb org

otg card reader

recovering deleted items on an android phone apps
recovering lost pictures on android phone for free
the droid guy galaxy 5 photos lost