Recovering Files from RAZR with 100% broken screen

OP
B

Benjamin

Reaction score
Have you ever used web top or mirror mode over HDMI? If you have one set as default when HDMI is connected you can use another screen to see what your doing to transfer internal to external storage.

You could also try setting your new phone assuming it's also another Razr next to the old one to see where to touch the screen to make the transfer.

This is, in fact, genius. Although the touch screen is unresponsive, so I can't make any changes. Still might have potential, I'm going to go try it now.

Edit:

This didn't work, sadly. I've never plugged that phone into the TV before, so my guess is that its stuck on the screen asking what HDMI option I want... Great suggestion though.

Last edited:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Benjamin said:
This is, in fact, genius. Although the touch screen is unresponsive, so I can't make any changes. Still might have potential, I'm going to go try it now.

I could have sworn you said the touch screen still work but I just read the post again. Well in that case you'd still have to option of using a webtop adapter, HD station dock or lapdock(well anything that will give the ability to use a mouse). If you don't have & think you want/need either the easiest thing is to find someone that does. You can also put together your own USB hub.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Did you ever try using a lapdock, webtop adapter or HD station dock, or did you just give up? I know that a lapdock would work since it automatically puts you into webtop mode, I think the webtop adapter would do the same but the HD station would likely require you to chose on the screen witch mode you want triggered (having a keyboard and mouse present might put it into webtop mode).

I assume you don't have any of the above but I'm sure you could either find someone local to you or Verizon store that has a lapdock you could use to get to your files.

OP
B

Benjamin

Reaction score
Did you ever try using a lapdock, webtop adapter or HD station dock, or did you just give up? I know that a lapdock would work since it automatically puts you into webtop mode, I think the webtop adapter would do the same but the HD station would likely require you to chose on the screen witch mode you want triggered (having a keyboard and mouse present might put it into webtop mode).

I assume you don't have any of the above but I'm sure you could either find someone local to you or Verizon store that has a lapdock you could use to get to your files.

I have not been able to as of yet. I do not personally have any of these accessories, and the store I usually go to doesn't either. I'm going to have to make a trip to a different Verizon store and see if they can assist me, unfortunately I won't be able to do so until next week. I will definitely update this thread should I make progress. :)

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
If you happen to be in the San Diego area I'd be glad to let you use my lapdock to get your files.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you happen to be in the San Diego area I'd be glad to let you use my lapdock to get your files.

I appreciate the offer! I'm in Washington, DC though.

Still an incredibly kind offer. We have one heck of a nice group here. You wouldn't see that kind of generosity on many of the other forums I've been on.

Way to go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

sharpshaun91

Reaction score
I am having this same issue, my screen broke the other day but the phone itself works fine. I plugged the phone into my tv with the HDMI cable and can see the display come up on the tv, but the touchscreen on the phone doesn't work so I'm not able to do anything. And if I try to hook my phone up to the computer via USB, I'm not able to change it to mass storage mode. I'm hoping that using the lapdock, or any of the others may work, but looking forward to a solution with this. I have a few pictures and files that were saved on the internal storage of the phone that I would really like to get back.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I know for sure that a lapdock doesn't need any screen input, if you plug you phone in with the lapdock closed it will give the choose dock mode but once you open the lapdock it push the phone into webtop mode and turns the screen off. I think the webtop adapter would act the same but I've never actually seen one used, but i'd think even a HD station would work as long as you get your it to display out the HDMI and you have a mouse connected.

mbkintner

Reaction score
Benajamin-

Curious if you ever found a good solution to this. I'm in the exact same situation with my daughter's RAZR Maxx. I'm thinking ADB might be an option for me but haven't given it a shot yet.

Mike

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Benajamin-

Curious if you ever found a good solution to this. I'm in the exact same situation with my daughter's RAZR Maxx. I'm thinking ADB might be an option for me but haven't given it a shot yet.

Mike

If you have USB debugging on, you can easily adb pull the files.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

abnormalpsych

Reaction score
Lapdock will work

Guys,

I have a busted screen too. AND a lapdock I bought for $70. I am posting this from my Droid with a 100% busted and black screen via the
lapdock... which by the way RULES. I can NEVER get another phone that doesn't plug into this lapdock. It MAKES the phone. Other Android
phones might compare in some features, until I plug my phone in for a laptop-like interface, that usually ends the debate. Older lapdocks,
like mine, originally made for the first Atrix on ATT are available for like $70 on eBay, brnd new and are EASILY modified for the RAZR.

kraAak

Reaction score
Tried to boot without SIM ?

Hello Folks,

I was in the same situation with a broken display on a Galaxy Nexus : black screen, no more touch response and USB Debugging OFF.

As I had no lock on the phone (except the SIM PIN) I tried the following (that worked for me) :

Removed the battery (to make sure it was OFF)
Removed the SIM card
Put Battery back in place
Connected to Computer with USB cable
Booted the Phone ON

Soon after, the windows prompt for Portable Device appeared and by immediately clicking on "Open device to view files using Windows Explorer", I was able to access the phone memory and copy various datas to my computer (dwnld documents, pictures, music, etc...)

Worth giving it a try.. thx for your FB,
Rgds

Freshboy7777

Reaction score
I have this problem also. I have tried to open it on my computer but when I open it there is nothing in the folder. Can some one expound on the adb option also?

JYang

Reaction score
My Droid RAZR died exactly as Benjiman's had but mine is in USB Mode and I'm instead trying to extract my contacts. Can I retrieve it from a file or do I have to use that app? Also... My touch screen doesn't work but the phone still has all its functionality.