Recovering files from broken phone

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by Alozar, May 18, 2016.

1. Alozar

Alozar New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Hey guys,

Recently, I was unfortunate enough to accidentally drop my Droid Turbo in a parking lot, completely shattering the screen. Now, the phone has lost all touch capability and won't display anything, it just tries to restart itself to fix the issue. I ended up getting a new Samsung Galaxy S7, but a lot of the stuff I cared about was not transferred over, such as music and contacts. I still have the Turbo, and am currently trying to figure out how I can recover the files I want from the Droid Turbo and move them to the new phone. I've tried connecting the Turbo to my PC via a Micro USB/USB cable, but my computer simply recognizes it as a removable disk, and I'm not able to actually access any files as it wants me to insert a disk. Can anyone help me with this issue?

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Try to see if "Method 1" in the following link can work for you.

How To Unlock Android Device With Dead Screen

It not only allows unlocking but also complete control and data transfer using an external display and USB mouse for control.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alozar

Alozar New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Some of the reviews for the OTG plus mentioned in the article state that it does not work with broken phones. Do you know if it does or does not? Even if it does, that cable won't be coming in til mid June. =/

4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    I didn't see any mention in the reviews about it not working with phones that have broken screens. That was the whole premise for devising this method.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alozar

Alozar New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Yea, that's what I was thinking too, it seemed a bit strange. It's just that some people on the Amazon page were saying otherwise. Regardless, I've ordered a cable, so it should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alozar

Alozar New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Sadly, the cable I ordered had a micro usb that is slightly different to the port on the Droid Turbo, and does not fit. I'll have to see if I can find out what kind of port the Droid Turbo has and if I can find a cable that accommodates it... I find myself wondering if I could just bust this thing open and mess with the drive. If only I knew more about cellphones...

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    There are now primarily two prevailing standards to Micro USB, the original Micro USB (AKA USB 2.0, also called Micro B), the type on the Motorola Turbo 2 (along with almost all cellphones produced over the last several years except for the very recent which have adopted the Type C connection), and the new Micro USB Type C. The major physical difference (aside from faster data speeds and higher power capacities), is that Type C can be inserted into the matching port without concern for which side is up (i.e. reversible, meaning it's orientation neutral, with both sides being the same shape), whereas in contrast the earlier Micro USB 2.0, is designed with one side slightly wider than the other so it can only be inserted facing one way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#7 FoxKat, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
Search tags for this page

micro usb to usb c

usb type c to micro usb