1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Recovering apps/contacts after root, without Gmail Account info?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big_Johnny, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Big_Johnny

Big_Johnny New Member

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm planning on rooting my phone for the first time to take advantage of froyo, or one of the roms based around it. I only have one problem, I can't remember my Gmail password to recover my contacts/apps from the cloud after I root. I tried to recover it, but apparently I didn't give them a recovery email address. To reset it now, they want a security question answer, but to even get that option I have to remain logged out of any google services for 24 hours. Besides that, I'm pretty sure I lied on my security question anyway, as that's what I usually do to strengthen the security of any accounts I register.

Basically, I need another method that will allow me to backup these things and restore them to a new gmail account that I create after I root the phone. The only thing I've seen is some 5 dollar app in the market, and I don't even know if that would work given the fact that I'll be using a new account.
  2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

use your PC to recover your password (or reset it) at gmail.com, otherwise you are completely out of luck. Either remember your password or reset it via their provided tools (security questions and all...).

All apps are tied to your gmail account. A new account can not use what is "tied" to a different account.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

A big chunk of the users here use Titanium Backup from the market. There is a free and paid version. I use it to backup, but in all honesty I have never needed it for restore as the cloud has always worked for me. Lots of folks have reported it does work.

Right now with the latest 84b foyo leak, I might suggest holding off a day or so until this latest revision/source gets built into the roms. Get your cloud straightened out, and my guess is before the long weekend you will have few choices of the latest and greatest.

Craig
  4. Big_Johnny

Big_Johnny New Member

My problem is that Gmail is apparently kind of uptight about password recovery, to even get a shot at the security question, I have to remain logged out of any google services for 24 hours. That would be fine, except for the fact that that basically requires my phone to be turned off for 24 hours... I can't really do that for family related reasons...

I've used the contact google option, but it specifically says there that there's a very high chance my email will be refused.

At this point I'm just trying to get ahold of an ACTUAL person at google so I can try and sort this out.
Search tags for this page
gmail hack app for rooted phones
gmail not working after root
google contacts recovery after losing gmail password
hack gmail password with rooted android
how to get apps and contacts after root
how to recover contact from android without gmail?
how to recover gmail account rooted android
lost all my contacts after rooting? without google
lost all my contacts when rooting droid
problem recovering contacts on motorola droid
recover gmail account used on a android
recover my contacts from gmail account my android
restore apps following root

restore contacts after root

restore contacts android without gmail