Recovering a Droid Incredible

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a good habit to wipe cache/data before flashing ROMs.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
So no one has properly explained to me what that means. If I do wipe cache/data what exactly am I wiping/losing. My fear is always that I might delete something that I'll actually need.

S197

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Huzzah!!! Working phone. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. Last question as I prep myself to attempt 2.3 again (glutton for punishment, I know), I get the prompt when I'm installing a new rom if I want to Wipe Cache/data. I've seen forum postings suggest both doing it or not doing it. Any recommendations?

When jumping from ROM to ROM, it's always recommended to do a cache/data wipe. The only time you wouldn't is if it's a flashover and the dev says it's not necessary. For example going from UC 2.0 to UC 2.1. But going from UC to Gingerbread? Yeah definitely do a wipe.

Also, since you're getting prompted, I'm guessing you're using ROM Manager. My advice to you is to not use ROM Manager to flash ROMs, seen too many issues. Do it directly from Clockwork, the chances of a bad flash go down considerably.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
I'm assuming that doing it directly via Clockwork means that I do the Volume down + power button and use the menu prompts to install the zip from there?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
See the flashing ROMs tutorial in my signature for step-by-step instructions.

drakerocksu

Reaction score
hey i have same problem as you

i have been stuck at the white bootup screen and i saw this how do i install the Rom of my choice.zip on to my sd card plzz help ive been trying to fix this for hours

drakerocksu

Reaction score
Well im screwed

I tried following your directions but i couldnt find any roms so i cleared dalvik data or whatever and it deleted all my restores and stuff then i went to clear data and factory reset and my phone still wont work is there any other things i can do or do i need to take it to verizon store and tell them its broken and if i do what do i tell them happened like should i say i tried to restore it and it wouldnt turn back on or what?

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
Well, do you have ROMS already loaded onto your phone? If so, you should be able to access your SD card from that ClockMod sequence at the start and just load the zip. Though since you're stuck at the white screen, the only way to power off is to just pull out the battery and stick it back in again.

drakerocksu

Reaction score
i did download a rom it was called incredikernel but i erased everything from my phone so i have nothing now is there some way to get it back

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
incredikernel is not a ROM- it is a kernel. You need a full ROM. If you have a SD card adapter you can load a ROM onto there directly.

drakerocksu

Reaction score
srry i ment incrediblerom but i think im screwed cause i wiped all data from phone and accidentally did sd card partition if you know how to fix this please help because i am screwed and if i take my phone to the verizon store what should i tell them

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have any ROM zip files on your phone where you can flash one using clockworkmod?

drakerocksu

Reaction score
no and does anyone know how to turn the s off to s on? i want to try and see if that will work and if you do can i do it without turning on screen?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get an SD card adapter, format the card, put a ROM on it, and flash through recovery.