Recovering a Droid Incredible

wajewwa

Reaction score
First time posting and I guess this is the right spot to ask this question. Apologies ahead of time for the length but after reading a bunch of these forums to help me as I rooted, I've found it's just better to be as specific as possible to help avoid any confusion.

So I installed Gingerbread onto my rooted Droid Incredible last night, and unfortunately it did not carry over all of my contacts. After doing some reading and Verizon's backup assist not working, looks like I should have backed up my phone book so that I could port it over to gingerbread. So I decided to load up my old Rom (UnCommon Sense), access my phone book, copy, and move forward with 2.3.

Unfortunately, I decided to load up the UC zip I had instead of the back up I made via Titanium which is both on my SD card and on Dropbox. My phone apparently didn't like this idea and while loading, UC kept stalling, as the little loader circle as it's booting up would turn maybe 3/4 then stop, wait a few seconds, my screen would black out, screen would turn on,and start again; rinse and repeat. Hoping that it was just moving slowly, I let it go all night but still no luck.

Finally, I just decided to do a hard factory reset by holding the Vol Down button as I powered up. I get to the Clockwork Mod Recovery screen which is a step in the right direction. So now my question: Is there an easy way to access that Titanium backup so that it'll boot that one. The options given to me are:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

I tried going through backup and restore, and it gives me the option to restore from an old nandroid backup from November but not the one from last night. Right now my thoughts are either restore from the November backup, and then from there, restore the Titanium backup or do a factory reset, root all over again, and then restore the Titanium backup. The first option seems a bit easier but I'd rather restore from the TB from last night if possible. Can I do that and if so how?

Again, apologies for the length and thanks ahead of time.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please don't bump threads after an hour. When someone can help you they will respond.

Did you rename your backup from last night? That might be part of your problem.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
It's renamed as titanium backup, but Clockmod seems to only want to recover a .zip file and after looking in my dropbox folder, seems that TB saved all the files individually. If I put all those files into a zip, will ClockMod restore it correctly?

And apologies for the bump. Want to get some kind of answer, even if it's a recover the old one and work from there before moving forward.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd restore the November backup if I were you and use Titanium Backup (do you have the Pro version) to reinstall apps with a single click.

You can't use a TB backup as a zip file to restore a ROM-doesn't work that way.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping to avoid but seems like it's the best option. And just got TB pro last night to sync with dropbox. Good call by me.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
Okay, I restored my November back up, everything went smoothly outside of telling me it couldn't restore /sd-ext, I reboot the system, and now I'm stuck on the initial white htc Incredible screen when you boot up. Let it go for like 15 minutes before attempting again and stuck at the same initial screen. Sigh. Is it loading or stuck? Am I just resigned to doing a factory reset and reroot all over again? Grr technology.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You don't use recovery to restore a titanium backup. In recovery go to the restore option and select the back up from there.

Titanium does not back up an entire rom, it is mainly used for backing up apps and not the phone.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
Right. I did do the restore from the recovery setting with the intention of going back later and doing a Titanium Backup afterward to recover other stuff. Problem is, that recovery seems to be failing as my phone seems to be stuck on the initial white htc Incredible screen. So the question becomes, what's the next step? Back up a step further to a factory restore and then start all over again? This seems to be the case but just trying to see if anyone has some experience with a work around.

Also, will now note to have a backup program that backs up the whole phone.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Could try wiping data and cache. Then run the restore. Don't think it'll help but worth a go.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
Gah! I've pretty much done every option at this point, including wiping cache and data as well as just trying to start over by selecting Clear Storage for it to do a full restore and still getting stuck at the white initial screen. Am I just bricked at this point?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're not bricked. Bricked means the phone doesn't do anything. Yours turns on, goes to recovery, etc. Hang on a minute and we'll come up with a Plan B for you.

S197

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this point, I would just do a clean install of a ROM, UC if that's the one you want to use. Your backup sounds like it was corrupt (did you upgrade your HBOOT after making your backup?).

Anyway, what I would do is put the ROMofYourChoice.zip on your SD card. Wipe data and dalvik cache (option is under advanced). Then install through clockwork. You'll have to set up everything again but you'll have a working phone.

OP
W

wajewwa

Reaction score
Huzzah!!! Working phone. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. Last question as I prep myself to attempt 2.3 again (glutton for punishment, I know), I get the prompt when I'm installing a new rom if I want to Wipe Cache/data. I've seen forum postings suggest both doing it or not doing it. Any recommendations?