"reconditioning" battery?

Reaction score
I didn't discover this board until AFTER i had gotten my droid. I didn't know about the battery "conditioning" process. I just pulled it out of the box, plugged it in and started using it. Is there anyway to condition the battery to get better life out of it after I've used it for a month?

I did discover JuiceDefender which has helped significantly. Should I try a new battery? Also everything I read says to charge for 24 hours with the phone OFF. How is this accomplished? I power off my phone and then plug it in and it automatically turns on.

ShowTime

Reaction score
No need to condition it. I got my phone and immediately started using it. Didn't charge it til it was dieing that night. I get very normal to good battery life. You also can not charge the phone with it off so disregard that advice entirely. And as for 24 hours, our batteries/phones are set up so that once the battery is charged, it stops charging and just maintains off the A/C current until unplugged, so leaving it plugged in after it's 100% does absolutely nothing (positive or negative). Personally, whenever it's doable, I will let my phone get down to 5-10% before charging and even occasionally let it die first, just to keep it calibrated. BUT even this isn't actually needed with these new batteries and is mostly just superstition/habit. If you're getting at least 12 hours on a full charge your battery is just fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No need to condition it. I got my phone and immediately started using it. Didn't charge it til it was dieing that night. I get very normal to good battery life. You also can not charge the phone with it off so disregard that advice entirely. And as for 24 hours, our batteries/phones are set up so that once the battery is charged, it stops charging and just maintains off the A/C current until unplugged, so leaving it plugged in after it's 100% does absolutely nothing (positive or negative). Personally, whenever it's doable, I will let my phone get down to 5-10% before charging and even occasionally let it die first, just to keep it calibrated. BUT even this isn't actually needed with these new batteries and is mostly just superstition/habit. If you're getting at least 12 hours on a full charge your battery is just fine.

+1 I agree with everything said here.

OP
Sweet Kitten Feet
Reaction score
OK. WIth normal to heavy use I was getting about 14 hours. Using JuiceDefender and changing a couple auto-refresh settings on my widgets I've gotten it up to about 28 hours. Had just read some other threads on here and wondered how much more I could get out of it.

Thanks for the info.

ShowTime

Reaction score
28 hours with moderate to heavy use is extremely good.... If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. ;)

samiusmc

Reaction score
OK. WIth normal to heavy use I was getting about 14 hours. Using JuiceDefender and changing a couple auto-refresh settings on my widgets I've gotten it up to about 28 hours. Had just read some other threads on here and wondered how much more I could get out of it.

Thanks for the info.

Is your Droid rooted?

OP
Sweet Kitten Feet
Reaction score
28 hours with moderate to heavy use is extremely good.... If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Sorry, 28 hours with light use. About 16-18 with normal to heavy use. Still good I guess.

No, my phone is NOT rooted.

nphil

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking too. This whole re-conditioning crap only used to apply to old NiMH/Nicd batteries. Ordered a spare battery anyway, it's dirt cheap on amazon atm.

samiusmc

Reaction score
28 hours with moderate to heavy use is extremely good.... If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Sorry, 28 hours with light use. About 16-18 with normal to heavy use. Still good I guess.

No, my phone is NOT rooted.

You're getting excellent battery life considering you're running a stock 2.01 OS. According to Motorola/Verizon/Google, when the 2.1 update eventually comes, the fixes contained in it are supposed to improve your battery performance even more.

GerryG35

Reaction score

+1 I agree with everything said here.

I also agree - not so much because I am a battery expert but more because it applies to the newer battery technologies used in power tools.

My two cents concerning battery life: It just doesn't make sense to try to compare your battery life to mine. I'm sure we have different calling patterns and more important, different applications running in the foreground and background. For example, I use Latitude and share my location; I have several compass programs; in the afternoon I turn on bluetooth; and because they fascinate me, I have just about every weather app available. I guess we could look at ways to improve battery times but I'm convinced that there can't be an average or typical time because of the wide variety of usage among us.