Recommended Kernel for BBv0.4

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by McClure, Jul 22, 2010.

1. McClure

McClure New Member

Long time reader/lurker, relatively new to custom ROMs, but I know my way around.

I'm currently using Bugless 0.4 and looking to overclock with a kernel other than the standard dev one that comes with that ROM. I tried P3's low voltage 1.2gHz Kernel, but it resulted in boot loops when I installed as an update.zip via SP Recovery. Fortunately, I backed everything up beforehand.

So basically my question is did I misstep somewhere in the process to cause the loops, or is there another kernel out there that's more ideally suited for BB 0.4.

I'm interested to hear opinions, and any information is appreciated.
  2. Samiam564

Samiam564 New Member

Im running Chevy's 1.2 ulv kernel and it works perfectly fine for me. I did the install through ROM manager tho. I would give that a try if I were you!

Best of luck!
  3. ss13

ss13 New Member

I did Chevys 1.1lv with update.zip and is awesome.
  4. TheFarmerDeBoer

TheFarmerDeBoer New Member

I usually just download and throw them on the root of the SD card, using Rom manager boot into recovery and choose the .zip and install it.

Chevy's lv1.1ghz worked perfectly for me, while other higher speed Chevy kernels make my phone freeze and reboot a minute into using it.

P3's higher speed kernels did the same thing, though the 125-1200 kernel is running well for me right now, though at slightly higher temperatures than Chevy's lv1.1

I hope to try out what some other people post here, still looking for that perfect high speed kernel that runs at a low temp.
  5. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

still trying to find one that will give me good battery life at a quick and cool speed..
  6. peterpressure

peterpressure New Member

I have run ChevyNo1 on 2 different Droids, one has boot loops at 1.2 ULV the other at 1.0 ULV. It really is true that not all processors are the same.
  7. michael_campbell

michael_campbell New Member

Not every phone can run every kernel; some can do the ultra low voltage ones, some can't; some can do the 1.25GHz ones, some can't. You just have to find that set that your particular handset can run without issue.
  8. McClure

McClure New Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

I ended up going with Chevy's LV 1.1, and it's working great so far. ULV would boot fine, but would cause a reboot very quickly after the phone got started up. So far so good on the LV, though, temps holding steady in the mid 90's, which is acceptable for me.
  9. takeshi

takeshi New Member

+1. Recommendations won't really mean anything unless you're Droid's processor happens to be identical in performance to someone else's but there's no way to check that I know of. You're stuck with test driving kernels..
  10. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Also, uLV & LV kernels aren't always the best...... it'll run the phone a little cooler and give you better bsttery life, but you're sacrificing performance during higher loads...

I run a MV kernel and get a full day's worth of battery life even with heavy, heavy usage.... and my temps rarely go over 40c at full loads.

Just something for members to realize.:)
  11. ss13

ss13 New Member

Mbk, our setup is the same only I am using a LV kernel. Maybe I'll try the MV based on your comments. I get temps up to 42c under heavy load at times. Thanks for the post.
  12. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

I've never used P3s so I'm not sure how the best way to use his are.. been a loyal user of Chevy's even since 2.0.1 ROMs. They play nice with my phone.

I'm running BB 0.4 with Chevy's LV 1.0 ghz kernel and it runs nicely for me. Stays cool and zips along. His ULV kernels (even the 800 mhz) put me into boot loops or just ran really buggy and sporadic, so I had to move up. I'd say if you're gonna try Chevy's, start with ULV 1.25 (which seems to be the one most around here use) and if you're forced into boot loops them restore and move down to 1.1, 1.0, 800, and then up to LV kernels if none of the ULVs work.

Also, I used setCPU through all my 2.0.1 and 2.1 ROMs, but have found that it actually takes some battery life and makes things run a bit hotter for me on 2.2 ROMs. Things have improved since I uninstalled it and let Pete's script do the work. Cool and great battery life.
  13. michael_campbell

michael_campbell New Member

Pete's script and setCPU do more or less the exact same thing. The "win" for setCPU is profiles. Pete's script sets the CPU behavior and then it's done. It doesn't take battery, but it also doesn't change the CPU in any way if the battery is low, it gets too hot, or change the speeds when charging, etc. Using that extra benefit (via profiles) does take a smidgen of battery though, as setCPU has to poll every now and then to see what "context" the phone is in.

But, if you don't use profiles, setCPU doesn't take any battery (according to the author, anyway), but then again, if you don't use profiles it doesn't provide any benefit over Pete's script either.
  14. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

It was my understanding that the ULV kernels did not sacrifice any performance.

This is using a 1.2 ULV kernel.

[​IMG]
  15. McClure

McClure New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what benchmarking app is that?
  16. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

The name of the app is quadrant. It's in the market for free.
  17. McClure

McClure New Member

That was easy. Thanks!
  18. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

You are mistaking benchmark performance to overall performance of the phone over extended periods of heavy load.
    Of course with the higher clock speeds you'd get better benchmark scores, but some CPUs may run unstable when it cannot supply the needed voltage over extended loads.

That's why overclocking PCs is far more than simply raising the clock speeds of the CPU.... you need to up the voltages as well or it won't run stable over longterm benchmarking...
  19. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I want to try a different kernel. Is it best to try a ULV kernel an see if my phone can handle it, then if not work my way up to a LV? Also if my phone goes into a boot loop, how do I put another kernel on there if I can't boot my phone up? I use clockwork, if thats needed.
  20. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

Personally I would start off with the ulv kernels. If you boot loop, Just boot into recovery and load a different kernel.
Search tags for this page

bbv0.4