Recommendations for ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by rwking, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rwking

rwking New Member

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to all of this, but was able to root my phone successfully this morning thanks to MotoCache1 and his awesome tutorial.

I am a little overwhelmed with all of the kernel and ROM versions out there. I was wondering if we could maybe hear some pros and cons for different ROMs that users currently have installed.

It looks like Bugless (peteralfonso) is pretty popular. Also, ChevyNo1's SS 4.7 seems to have a lot of interest. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Rich
  2. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

Everyone has there preference. Mine is SS 4.8 at the moment but you'll need to try some that intrest you. You'll find one that you like and will stick with it. Go to the Custom ROM section here in this fourm and try a few to see which one has the options you want. Each ROM has its unique features. Just depends which ones you want.

I am happy with ChevyNo1's SS 4.8 ROM. He is very on top of fixing bugs with his ROM pretty fast. But you could almost find that in any dev.

Kenrel: I am using ChevyNo1's 1.1 medV using setCPU. I am over clocking to 1.1 when fully charged but most of the time I just overclock to 800. My phone stays cool and does not get hot unless I am on the phone where there is low cell signal but all in all this kernal for me works great. You'll need to try them and see which one work for your phone the best as each phone act different. Since they are Droids they have a mind of their own....just that now they are free to do what they want....
  3. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

my recommendation is: try them....all! ;) sorry, i don't mean to be snide. but when it comes to getting recommendations for roms, everybody's recommendations are going to be colored by their personal preferences, personal loyalties, or whatever. also, most roms perform differently on each individual phone. the trick is to find the rom that has the features you like, and works the best on your phone. the only real way to do this is try 'em all out, and see how they "fit".

i've pretty much run all of them, and i can honestly say there isn't a "bad" rom out there - the dev'rs in this forum do some outstanding work!!! some roms work better on my phone than others, but that's the nature of the beast. and here's the kicker: you're rooted, and the beauty of being rooted is being able to flash whatever rom you want, whenever you want, as many times as you want - so why not try them all?! :) just be careful, it quickly becomes an addiction... ;)

seriously, tho, there are two main things to remember when flashing roms: BACKUP and WIPE! also, i recommend that for flashing roms (especially roms), ROM Mgr isn't necessarily the optimal method. it can work fine, but it can also be a little buggy. for roms and themes, i always download to my PC, copy to my sdcard, and then install manually thru recovery.

here's the process i use, and it has worked every time (and i flash roms with some frequency):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. install rom zip from sdcard
    7. reboot
    8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy! :)

good luck!!
  4. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

Chevy's SS is one of my favorites its fast and stable, but I'm sticking to my rom of choice, LithiumMod/watermark'D, loving it
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

+1 for trying all or at least several!

Each phone handles the roms differently. Once you get use to adding a new rom and changing kernels it does not take long to switch.

Try one for a day or two. Make notes on what works well and does not. Then switch to another set. At the end of the trial you'll know what combo works best on your phone.

Mike
  6. rwking

rwking New Member

Well, yeah I figured everyone was going to have their own opinion, but that's what I wanted. I was hoping for some pros and cons and what people like about them. I mean after all, when you make an online purchase, don't you read reviews before accepting the transaction? :) BTW, thanks for the step by step on flashing ROMs. I'm going to have to take a better look at it because some of the steps didn't mean anything to me, mainly because I'm so new to this. But I'm sure it will be extremely helpful once I learn more of the terminology and processes involved.

Cheers!
  7. huskerkate

if you want personal preferences, here's mine:

1. Project Elite/LiQuID FroZeN YoGurT - on my phone, these perform the best in terms of speed, smoothness, and stability

2. LithiumMod/ShadowRom/CyanogenMod/Sapphire (these have added tweaks and customization options that are cool.)

3. BB v0.5/UD 8.0 (these have similar tweaks and customizations, but they just didn't run as well for me).

i didn't include Chevy's SS 4.8 or metiCkOne only because i haven't flashed them yet...

EDIT: yes, i generally read reviews, but that's only because i can't try it out for myself before buying :)
  8. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Member

I've been using UD for a while, but I'm trying out Project Elite for now. UD has more features, but Elite seems to run a bit faster. Haven't tried any of the others.
  9. R3Ds

R3Ds New Member Developer

Try all of them, but I recommend Ultimate Droid 8 and simply stunning 4.8 because they are best on features a stable. I try ALL roms to see what the devs improve but I stay loyal to Ultimate Droid, my phone just loves some BLACKDROID mod. Enjoy and good luck.

Sent from R3DMANX.COM/R3Ds
  10. elucid

elucid New Member

What is required after this? I remember doing this once and I had to start all over in configuring my phone:
    1) Sign into google.
    2) Reconfigure all my programs (corperate exchange email)
    3) Redo sound preferences
    4) Bookmarks, etc
    5) Redo all my launcher shortcuts (this could have been avoided by doing an ADW backup and restore).

My apps did all reinstall. Is there any way around the above steps. I normally just backup and install update.zip over the top and pray for the best. If it doesn't work I have my backup. I've gone from Kangerade, to BB0.4, to LithiumMod, to UD8.0, to SS4.8 without ever wiping.
  11. elucid

elucid New Member

To the original poster I personally liked UD8.0 the best of all the ROM's I've tried. Chevy's SS4.8 is also nice but I'm having some problems with the email app with my corp exchange server.
  12. huskerkate

alls i can say is you are one lucky s.o..... i hope you're knocking on wood right now :)

there are some people who don't wipe - but they are few. if you want a guaranteed clean install, and avoid bootloops and FC's and bugs, the safest thing to do is wipe. yes, it is a little time consuming to set up your phone all over again (altho, like you, i backup my desktop configuration in LP). but, i've been rooted for a little while now, and i can't tell you how many threads i've seen saying: "HELP!"; "bricked!"; "stuck in bootloop"; "stuck at M logo"; etc. most of the time these are solved with a wipe and clean install. but, in the time it takes to get there, the person could have wiped, reconfigured their phone, and been up and running.

in the end, i say WIPE! but, you don't have to listen to me (most don't)... ;)
  13. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

14. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

it's all in my sig
  15. BigZig

BigZig New Member

I don't mean to sound like a D-head so if I do I am sorry.

But there are so many threads on this topic already and if you leave this up long enough some will recommended every rom out there so just try as many as you can and deside for yourself.
  16. rwking

rwking New Member

You spelled "decide" incorrectly. lol

I'm only kidding. Actually, just to clarify, the point of the thread was for people to list pros and cons, but most people are just listing their ROM of choice. Didn't exactly turn out like I hoped it would. But thanks for the advice - trying as many as possible seems to be the general consensus.
  17. papafobb

papafobb New Member

OP.
    Started with BB. Real solid rom.dependible.not alot of options to "play with" though. Was one of my favs as far as speed and dependability.
    Installed UD. Only used for like a day though so I don't have pros or cons.
    Then to SS4.7. I found this to be the strongest of the 3. Faster than the rest. No issues whatsoever.
    now on 4.8. Bunch of options in chevytools. Changing LED colors, status bar colors, etc. All the cool stuff for noobs. (Same w/ 4.7 but more options). Chevy has built a very solid rom and fan base.....for good reason. I've used his kernels since the BB days and still continue to do so. Combine 4.8 with ADW and York themes and you got yourself a fast little toy with no issue's and lot of options.

Hope this helps a bit for you
  18. crazyjoker2

crazyjoker2 New Member

I liked BB.4 and tried UD 8 with watermark'd theme and dont see myself flashing another for a while. I can get a max of 34 hours battery life and it works well.
  19. elucid

elucid New Member

Or just reinstall your previous nandroid backup ;)

I actually might have to wipe for the next install. I tried to go back to UD 8.0 after my one issue with SS4.8 but Gmail kept FCing. I'll probably just live with my exchange issue until UD 9.0. Hopefully I can clear the data and cache for gmail and have it work. If not I should be able to delete it with titatamium and reinstall.