Recommendations for a Droid X car charger - LONG CORD

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by mikeatdroidforums, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mikeatdroidforums

mikeatdroidforums New Member

Hey all fellow X owners,

I'm going to be getting a windshield mount for my X and need a charger with a long cable to reach at least a couple feet without having the issues of a tense coiled line (why are they even designed that way?) pulling down on the phone while it's in the mount. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. baniels

baniels New Member

I have found that you can "train" those coiled cords to be more relaxed. You just have to yank on it for a while. If you could could stretch it out and tie down each end over night, I think it would be improved.

Isn't that a great solution? ;)
  3. mikeatdroidforums

mikeatdroidforums New Member

may be the only way to approach this thing!
  4. drifter248

drifter248 New Member

I purchased a micro-USB cable and a USB vehicle power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Had no trouble finding the micro-USB cable in lengths from 1ft up to 6ft.
  5. Jackseric

Jackseric New Member

6. wprocter

wprocter New Member

7. Rax

Rax New Member

FYI DC current is hard on batteries IE using your cigligther .. You may want to convert from DC to AC, its fairly cheap.
  8. wumpiewoo

wumpiewoo New Member

Incorrect

All phones that I know of, including your Droid X, charge using DC current. When you plug your phone in using a wall charger you are using an AC->DC adapter. Read the specs on the adapter your phone came with. When you plug it into a USB port are using DC current. There would be no advantage (and many disadvantages) to using an AC inverter. You'd be going from your car's DC->AC->DC. There might be some kind of exotic battery that charges using alternating current, but I've never heard of it.
  9. Rax

Rax New Member

With a direct current when the battery is fully charged the battery will get hot, because the power has no place to go except the battery. With a AC connection when your battery is fully charged the electricity used to charge your battery has a place to go.. (to be put fairly simple) once the battery is full the electricity is looped back though the system.
  10. wumpiewoo

wumpiewoo New Member

Almost...

This would be true if the DC source was connected *directly* to the battery it is charging, but it's not. In most modern portable electronic devices, there is a charge control circuit built in that regulates the rate and amount of charge. In other words, the phone "decides" whether or not it will continue to charge. It wouldn't just keep pumping current into your battery, charging would cease.
  11. deranger

deranger New Member

Simply put, no.

In any case, make sure you get a charger that supplies >850mA. I got the 950mA Motorola Rapid Car Charger for $10 or so off Amazon, it's an official Motorola product and charges your battery just as fast as the AC charger.
  12. Gigarip1

Gigarip1 New Member

That's one of the funniest things i've read in a long time.
  13. RickCunn

RickCunn New Member

Are all car chargers for cell phones, mp3 players, etc the same? I have a Griffin Powerjolt car charger I originally bought for a iPod Touch. Will it work with my Droid, using the USB cord that came with the Droid and plugging it into the Powerjolt? I don't want to fry the Droid because the voltage or polarity is wrong.
  14. ylimehajile

ylimehajile New Member

I don't think so

RickCunn, I'm not an electrician and don't claim to have any incite into the requirements of the chargers required for the DX but I did run into an issue with mine. I was using a car charger I had from a previous Blackberry Curve. It was the same connection and seemed to charge just fine. One day after driving to work I pulled the phone from the charger and the phone started rebooting itself constantly. Nothing I did fixed it (hard shutoff, etc.). I had to do factory refresh (whatever the official term is). I initially wasn't thinking it had anything to do with the charger (and maybe it still doesn't). I thought it was either a hardware problem or just a glitch in the software. However, I was reading something on Motorola's site about charging your phone and they mentioned using a proper charger because you could run into issues - one of the issues was a constant phone reboot. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. I bought the Motoral rapid charger from Amazon (very inexpensive) and haven't looked back.
  15. RickCunn

RickCunn New Member

After a little more research I believe I can use the car charger I have, with the Droid USB cable. The Droid follows the USB spec of +5V pin 1, Gnd pin 4 and data on pins 2 and 3. The Griffin product outputs out 5 V. USB charging devices short pins 2 and 3 together so that the device won't try to send data. Assuming Griffin does that the device will work without causing a problem. I'll contact them to verify their pinouts.
  16. LiquidBreadMan

LiquidBreadMan New Member

The real issue is the amperage. You can certainly "charge" your phone with any USB car charger that puts out 5 volts and at least .5 amps, but if the charger doesn't put out at least .85 amps, then the battery will continue to drain if you're using the phone while it's plugged in (especially if you're using the GPS).

I've been looking around for a good 1 amp USB charger. They're actually pretty tough to find. I had one for my old LG Dare, but it introduces a ton of noise if I'm listening to music while it's plugged in.

Has anyone here had success with the RocketFish charger? Or any other charger?

The easiest way to check whether your charger is spitting out enough amps is to check the battery status (Settings > Phone Info > Battery). If it says it's charging over USB then it's less than .85 amps. It should say it's charging over AC.
  17. jeoje

jeoje New Member

There are some 2.1 Amp USB chargers out there if you want to future-proof yourself + ensure you have enough power. There are plenty out there that claim 1A but don't necessarily provide that much.

Search for the Scosche Revive II(I have this one on order) or the Griffin Powerjolt 2.1A. Both claim they will not damage lower power devices. They likely have ICs to limit the current.

Then you just have to buy a USB to Micro USB cable in whatever length you prefer.
  18. Kandiru

Kandiru New Member

[​IMG]

Longest cord out there. Also it charges the phone well while radio or navi on, meaning it likely outputs in excess of 800 mAh. Super low profile, so 6MT shifting without knuckle bumps, and blue light at bottom
    is nice. Very classy and discreet if you have a predominantly black interior.

$6 well worth it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Alltel-Micr...pter-Charger-/140432116933?pt=PDA_Accessories

My personal advice based on experiences with Scosche's iPod digital adn Bluefusion adapters
    is RUN AWAY when you see that logo, nothing but trouble.

In tune with RickCunn's post, my longest trip with this charger streaming A2DP BT internet radio
    non-stop was 2 hours, 100% batt at trip end, charger was barely lukewarm to touch at end.
  19. RickCunn

RickCunn New Member

Griffin verified the pins on the charger I have, and that the device is a charger only (pins 2/3 shorted), and not a charger/data device. They also verified the unit is rated at 1 amp. When I left San Diego yesterday the battery was almost depleted, so I put it on the charger. My wife drove so I played a lot and used the GPS continually and listened to music. By the time we got to Tucson, 6.5 hours later, it was about 50% charged. I think the device is fine for my needs.
Search tags for this page

car charger with long cable

charging direcly droid x

droid x and bluefusion

how to uncoil a phone charger

howto un coil phone charger

long car charger cord

phone charger long cord

uncoil car charger

use .85 amp charger for lg android phone