1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Recommend a ROM for me

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by shameronsho, Dec 14, 2010.

1. shameronsho

shameronsho New Member

Hello everyone,

I have my droid for about a year now and have just decided to put a ROM on it after I saw the screens from the Avalon theme I just had to try it. I do not really feel like reading through all the threads about what ROM is fastest, has the most features etc. (no disrespect to the developers, I could not be more grateful of you guys. You make droids worth having.)

With that said I was hoping to get a few recommendations from the community of a ROM and that would be best suited to me.

What I am looking for.... I am not looking for something that is blazing fast or loaded with so many features most of which I don't know how to use. I just want something that is very snappy, does not drain the battery, easy to use (install/keep updated), and has support for some clean looking themes.

I know there are very many but I do not like to install ROMS on my phone, every time I do my heart skips a beat. Please don't just recommend a ROM just to get its name out there, unless it really is legit.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your help.

Sham
  2. HuffPCair

HuffPCair New Member

ShadowROM all the way. After using this I have not even worried about another one.
  3. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

for options: Ultimate Droid
    for stability: MetickMod stock.
    i personally love both these roms, MetickMod is basically stock, slimmed down and sped up. Ultimate droid has tons of customization options
  4. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

+1 for metickmod

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You can get exactly what you're looking for by simply rooting and not installing any ROM.
  6. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

If he wants Avalon, sapphire would be his best bet since that is what is officially supported.
  7. naman919

naman919 New Member

+1

10 char
  8. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam New Member

Miui no doubt

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. shameronsho

shameronsho New Member

I should have been more clear. I am looking to switch from Avalon. There are a lot of text problems, and it is not any quicker/snappier than just my stock droid. Also I'll post a quick priority list.

1) Stability
    2) Speed/Responsiveness
    3) Supported Themes
    4) Wired/Wireless Tether support

Thanks so far guys, giving me a place to start looking around.

-Sham
  10. shameronsho

shameronsho New Member

Having a small issue. Can someone point me somewhere I can get a sbf of Clockworkmod recovery so I can flash it to my phone. I tried doing it from ROM Manager but I can not boot into recovery now, I think I need to flash it using RSD Lite.

Thank you!!
  11. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

I've had that problem as well. Go into Rom manager & clear your recovery or maybe flash sprecovery then reflash CW. I'd go with the newest UD. Haven't had any problems & it has plenty of themes

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  12. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

13. Chris-pee

Chris-pee New Member

You need project elite.
  14. naman919

naman919 New Member

do tell? I've been intrigued by PE. I'm on CM6.1 now and don't have any issues. What's it got over CM? Thanks!
  15. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

Most of the time, "snappy" = "fast" ... but I still know what you mean. I would suggest Project Elite v3.5 or Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.95. Both are very snappy (they're very similar, so really I wouldn't worry about pro-con-ing one against the other, I'd just pick which one you like the look of better). Little to NO lag at all. Very, very few force closes (very stable). With ROMs that are very close to stock, you will receive OTA updates that will remove root, so you will have to either block them or re-root each time that happens (it's not often, but it's something to consider).

Liquid Frozen Yogurt and Project Elite both have some great options, but they don't overdo it. I am currently running LFY v1.95 and haven't switched to anything since (and I've tried almost everything out there).

In regards to battery life, I'd suggest flashing Slayher's 800MHz SLV kernel (found here. It's smooth, has interactive governor (especially needed for that extra "snappiness") and uses very little voltage == battery life heaven.

Whichever ROM you choose, please consider donating whatever amount you feel is appropriate to the developer. Their hard work = our happiness, and it ultimately helps support the whole community so we can all continue to enjoy the benefits of custom development. :)