recommend a gps program please

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by apl3, May 19, 2011.

1. apl3

apl3 New Member

I am looking for a gps program for my OG droid that stores the maps to sd card. I like the navigon program because I can select between three routes on the screen cons pricey. Next there is copilot. These are the 2 contenders there may be others. This is for when I am traveling for work and I cant depend on data coverage for google. I like telenav better than google but I dont think the paid version stores maps to the sd card. Thanks.
  2. elvyrorie

elvyrorie New Member

I believe that google maps will cache your route and if you lose service you will be able to still navigate. I was in an area two weeks ago with no service at all for 2 days and still was able to use navigation to get me where I needed to go.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Caching isn't what the OP is asking for. OP is asking for GPS nav apps that solely rely on locally stored map data.
  4. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

I bought CoPilot about a week ago. The US edition is only $5. Works well, except for two complaints.
    First, it murders my battery. I assumed Google Nav killed battery because of the constant network activity, but this app is fully offline, so it must be the GPS.
    Second, I have yet for CoPilot to be able to get a GPS fix without 3g or Wifi. It holds onto the fix fine after I get it, but I've given it 10 minutes or so out in the open, without network, and it never picks up the location.
    For $5, I can deal with these issues. Navigation works great besides those points. Hope this helps!
    dancedroid
  5. apl3

apl3 New Member

When I travel i dont want to have to rely on a data connection ie if I go to Canada