Rebooting question...

Conz

Reaction score
the charging port on my year old phone broke so i had to get a new one sent to me. I was able to transfer the sim card and the sd card no problem.

Here's my problem though, and I feel like there is an easy solution, I just don't know it.

My sim card is the same as it was from the old phone. The apps and data are all still there, yet the market is telling me to reinstall everything so they are basically installing over eachother.

I had 7.2 gigs of free space on my card. I re-installed a few apps and checked back, now I have 7.1 gigs left. How do I go about doing this without everything being a duplicate? And since all the data is still in the folders when i plug my phone into my pc, is there any way to get the apps to recognize the pre-existing data? It's not the end of the world if I lose all the progress in a game, but it would be nice not to.

thanks.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
just for reference. I have a bunch of .asec files in my folders of all the old apps.

now that i reinstalled a game, i have both a 1 and a 2 of the same file. shouldn't be that way, right?

com.bestcoolfungamesfreegameappcreation.bunnyshooter-1.asec
com.bestcoolfungamesfreegameappcreation.bunnyshooter-2.asec

that's the same game.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is your old data not showing up when you open the apps. When you move apps to sd, the entire app doesn't go, just a lot of the associated file to save space on the phone. Anyway, you might want to just move all your apps to the phone so that data files for the apps will be moved there too, move any important regular files you your pc temporarily and then format the sd card.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
Is your old data not showing up when you open the apps. When you move apps to sd, the entire app doesn't go, just a lot of the associated file to save space on the phone. Anyway, you might want to just move all your apps to the phone so that data files for the apps will be moved there too, move any important regular files you your pc temporarily and then format the sd card.

for instance, i had completed Angry Bird Space (I'm not worried about game progress too much, it's just easiest to use as an example) and i reinstalled it from the market when i got the new phone... all the game progress is gone. the data by all accounts seems to still be on the card, but it didn't sync up wit hthe app reinstallation. Why? So if i start playing the new Angry Birds Space I will have 2 batches of data taking up twice the space it should.

can i just delete the data when i connect to my pc, and then just start over installing the apps? i had over 200 apps, so it's gonna take up a ton of space. I gotta be honest there are some apps that I'd be pissed to lose the data from.

while I'm here, what does sd card encryption do? that has nothing to do with this right? saw that was an option in the settings.

thanks

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The encryption makes it so that the files can only be read by your phone. As far as the app data, just move anything important like music files or whatever to your computer and then format the card. Your phone won't be able to use the app info anyway so it's no biggie.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
ok sorry, one more question. When you say format your card, you mean erase everything right? I'm not positive on that process.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
thanks, i just wiped the card clean, lost all progress, but i'll live