Rebooting Droid. Is 6-8 x's a day overkill? please post yours..

cisco0910

Reaction score
When it comes to my Droid, stability and speed are the most important things. When i start to notice the slightest bit of lag, i'll do a reboot. Almost everytime it helps. When i install a new app or uninstall a new app, i reboot. When i add or delete music or movies, i reboot. Sometimes when i'm bout to take a shower, i reboot and by time i get out it's nice and freshly rebooted. Am i overkilling it with the reboots? If i am, it must be working cause my droid is smooth like butta with Droidmod and the new helixlauncher 1 app.

Also, do i need to worry about some long term effects on my droid for rebooting it so much? How many times do you guys reboot and what circumstances come up that make you do it?

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I only reboot when flashing ROMs. I don't see any lag develop

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Too much for me. I reboot when installing roms/ battery pulls/ or the phone reboots itself (happened with HL2 twice yesterday had to switch to HL1 and been working good since).

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're a long-time Windows user? I reboot every 3 days because if I don't people start complaining that I sound echoed and muffled. I don't reboot after installing and uninstalling apps. Android is UNIX. It doesn't require a reboot. Windows needs rebooting when you install and uninstall apps because when files are loaded into memory, the OS blocks them from being deleted.

I think that excessive rebooting will cause a premature hardware failure, but maybe not a significant effect.

When you see a slowdown, instead of rebooting just use a process viewer to see what's running. Kill things if you want. But really, it shouldn't be necessary. If you're phone keeps bogging down it's probably because of some crappy app running in the background like a home replacement, an automatic task killer, antivirus. You might want to use a process viewer to see what you've got going on. Maybe uninstall some of that stuff if you don't really need it.

Last edited:

devildog9999

Reaction score
I was in the same boat coming from WinMo.... I have learned to resist the urge and not reboot it just because I "think" it should be. Now I reboot only when flashing, never at any other time.

crspang

Reaction score
I don't think rebooting hurts anything, so if you feel like there's a benefit to it then have at it. Its not like there's a hard drive or moving parts that have to spool up.

I personally don't see any benefit to it. If I have lag issues or something like that I'll kill some apps with ATK.

OP
cisco0910

cisco0910

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're a long-time Windows user? I reboot every 3 days because if I don't people start complaining that I sound echoed and muffled. I don't reboot after installing and uninstalling apps. Android is UNIX. It doesn't require a reboot. Windows needs rebooting when you install and uninstall apps because when files are loaded into memory, the OS blocks them from being deleted.

I think that excessive rebooting will cause a premature hardware failure, but maybe not a significant effect.

When you see a slowdown, instead of rebooting just use a process viewer to see what's running. Kill things if you want. But really, it shouldn't be necessary. If you're phone keeps bogging down it's probably because of some crappy app running in the background like a home replacement, an automatic task killer, antivirus. You might want to use a process viewer to see what you've got going on. Maybe uninstall some of that stuff if you don't really need it.
great reply, just what i was looking for. I'll be lessening my reboot count now. thanks sir or mam!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks sir or mam!

"Sir".

You should definitely think about getting rid of any apps that are needlessly running in the background. Antivirus is basically useless on the Droid. Automatic task killers are a waste too--expending resources to kill idle tasks which in turn use more resources to start up again, the cycle is an endless waste. Lots of apps run in the background on startup even though it seems like they shouldn't--notepads, even some process viewers, etc.

OP
cisco0910

cisco0910

Reaction score
thanks sir or mam!

"Sir".

You should definitely think about getting rid of any apps that are needlessly running in the background. Antivirus is basically useless on the Droid. Automatic task killers are a waste too--expending resources to kill idle tasks which in turn use more resources to start up again, the cycle is an endless waste. Lots of apps run in the background on startup even though it seems like they shouldn't--notepads, even some process viewers, etc.
yea, i don't have antivirus or any task killers. Like i said on the OP, really my phone is smooth like buttta. when i say it lags, i'm probably exaggerating a bit and i'm positive it's faster then a nonrooted droid. When i say it starts to lag i mean it goes from being really really quick to just really quick. That's when i feel like i need to reboot. I've already been thru my apps to uninstall all the apps i never use. thanks for the tip "sir"!

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I don't pull the battery unless the phone stops responding for some reason. My "uptime widget" is showing almost 10 days since last battery pull...