Rebooting After Updated Software

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Tech Support' started by tndinnc, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Redrocktom

Redrocktom New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update...

Well, my phone didn't reboot itself at 2am today. Here's what I did...

Yesterday I removed all apps that I haven't used in quite a while, including some system ones. Ones that might have been a problem were a v1 copy of find my droid, an old system panel lite, and an old battery meter. Ther were other apps I also removed, but too many to list.

And, I did turn on wireless. Kind of surprised me that it was off since I normally have it on.

Anyway, no reboot last night, hopefully the issue is solved for me.

2. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    My wife's incredible is doing the same thing..... I did do a reset but that didn't help. I've tried wifi.... I don't know what else to do.

3. Melr2

Melr2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    let it run its course

Sunday night it woke me again but I didn't want to turn my phone off so I choose to silence it instead. Now my phone seems fine and I have used it normally (sound on alarm and all) for the last two nights. I read in one of the other forums to let it run its course a 2 am; I think maybe I did this without even knowing by putting it on silent that one night. No factory resets, no deleting apps or anything. Good luck, cant hurt to try.

4. Wembly13

Wembly13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update. Still restarting itself after removing apps, Ill wait for my call back tomorrow at 9am from Verizon Tech Supports to see what more he thinks I could do.

5. FoxKat

FoxKat Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,301
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    This is a widespread problem with the DINC. I even found mention of it on SAM'S CLUB forum, along with all the expected Android forums. There seems to be a common theme here, starts at 2:00am, ends at about 6:00am, and will do this repeatedly if left be. FDR does seem to be at least successful for some, though doing a reset is never fun. Verizon is aware of the problem and says "an update will be pushed to resolve this known issue".

6. Xfactorx316

Ratings:
    +29
    Perhaps this is just the next step in the rise of the droids.... It will make it easier for them to take over when all of their owners are sleep deprived!

7. smacko

smacko New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here I thought it was just me, glad to find this post. My DINC has been rebooting since the update starting ~4AM (I am on Central time, are 2AM folks west coast?), reboots many times until about 5:30 when it seems to stop and my clock radio takes over getting me out of bed.

Anyway, a full reset does nothing, been there done that. Interestingly once I found this post I experimented this morning. I took my phone out of automatic date/time mode. I set it to 3:58AM today. Nothing after 2 hours ticking away. I then had the thought, what if I set it to 3:58AM tomorrow. Within 2 minutes of doing this (~4AM, clock still read 3:59) reboot, followed by another about 4 minutes later.... I used to think that "Droooiiiiddd" sound was neat ... not so much anymore.

Looking for a pushed fix soon, or learning what it really is. Are there any logs that can be perused/turned on to try and learn what trips the reboot?

8. BrandonBob

BrandonBob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too had the reboots every night on my HTC Droid Incredible since the update pulling the battery, turning it off, anything to make it stop. I am a network engineer by trade so I just couldn't stop thinking about things to try. I first pulled the SD card before going to bed and it didn't reboot. I tried it a second night. No reboot. Yesterday I faked it out by manually setting the date and time up one day I connected the phone to my PC and copied everything off of the SD Card and began looking at each folder for something. Among all of the other items there was a 'downloads' folder and a 'Downloads' folder. (note the capital D) When I tried opening the Downloads (capital D) folder I got the Windows XP error asking if I wanted to send a report. I moved the error off to the side and was able to copy everything except video files staring with MD....... I created a new Downloads folder and copied everything except the video files starting with MD..... I could now open the folder without the error. The MD video files wouldn't even open seperately. I know they are legit videos but something must have corrupted them. Maybe the software download that started the nightmare reboots. I formatted the SD card as FAT32 like it was, copied everything back (minus the MD video files). There were some apps I had to remove then download again but that wasn't so bad since they were all free anyways from the app store. In your troubleshooting I would first remove your SD card for one night and see if it stops the reboot. If it does, you're on your way to a fix. HTC support is the one who pushes these updates and they made no mention of sending a fix. They did however say all of their downloads are in a window from 2am to 7am. For me it seems the download corrupted some files on the SD card. So even though it appeared to have loaded succesfully the first day it still had things to do on the SD card. Hence the reboots. Hope this helps.

9. RonNona

RonNona New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the technical nature of the thread. Thanks especially to BrandonBob and Smacko for testing various methods of finding the problem. Much more usefull than just complaining about it. Here is what (little) I can add. I have 5 Droid Incredibles, in two different towns. One phone has never had a problem. The other 4 all started boot looping at 2am eastern, all on the same day, all about a week after a software update. Now they seem to take turns. My wifes slept thorugh the night, mine "droid"ed me starting at 2am last night. I was wondering, is your phone plugged in at night when this happens? Is this something that randomly happens to phones at 2am only when plugged in? Another thought, since mine will boot loop a couple of times a week, but be fine the other days, any fix, such as formatting your SD card may or may not have solved the problem.

10. Xfactorx316

Ratings:
    +29
    In my wife's case it doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not. I've tried unplugging it once it starts up but it didn't help. Last night I removed the SD card but that didn't help either.

11. smacko

smacko New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is plugged in at night when it does it, but when I've dorked with the time/date setting it's always been unplugged as I am usually at work when playing with this. Over the weekend I had one night of quiet, not sure what/if I did something to cause it or not, but last night it was the first time it started at 2AM vs what has routinely been 4AM. Was going to try pulling the SD card as well, but haven't gotten that far.

So far the simplest thing to do (when I remember) is to shut if off over night.

12. Xfactorx316

Ratings:
    +29
    Or you can set it to silent.... If you wake up it makes a nice night light!

Search tags for this page
droid incredible 2 keeps rebooting
droid incredible 4g keeps rebooting
droid incredible not updating software
droid incredible software update problems
htc droid incredible keeps rebooting

htc incredible keeps rebooting

htc incredible rebooting at night
my droid incredible keeps rebooting
rebooting droid incredible

why does my droid incredible keep restarting in the middle o