Rebooting After Updated Software

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Tech Support' started by tndinnc, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RonNona

RonNona New Member

Love the technical nature of the thread. Thanks especially to BrandonBob and Smacko for testing various methods of finding the problem. Much more usefull than just complaining about it. Here is what (little) I can add. I have 5 Droid Incredibles, in two different towns. One phone has never had a problem. The other 4 all started boot looping at 2am eastern, all on the same day, all about a week after a software update. Now they seem to take turns. My wifes slept thorugh the night, mine "droid"ed me starting at 2am last night. I was wondering, is your phone plugged in at night when this happens? Is this something that randomly happens to phones at 2am only when plugged in? Another thought, since mine will boot loop a couple of times a week, but be fine the other days, any fix, such as formatting your SD card may or may not have solved the problem.
  2. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

In my wife's case it doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not. I've tried unplugging it once it starts up but it didn't help. Last night I removed the SD card but that didn't help either.
  3. smacko

smacko New Member

Mine is plugged in at night when it does it, but when I've dorked with the time/date setting it's always been unplugged as I am usually at work when playing with this. Over the weekend I had one night of quiet, not sure what/if I did something to cause it or not, but last night it was the first time it started at 2AM vs what has routinely been 4AM. Was going to try pulling the SD card as well, but haven't gotten that far.

So far the simplest thing to do (when I remember) is to shut if off over night.
  4. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

Or you can set it to silent.... If you wake up it makes a nice night light!
  5. RonNona

RonNona New Member

Airplane mode does not help

I had mine in airplane mode last night and it droided me until I shut it off. My wife (deaf since birth) has a hearing service dog. Gemini. He alerts her to the sound of the special ring sound on the phone. The sound plays for text messages, and email and the alarm clock. Then Gemini alerts her. So, turning off the phone is a bit of a problem as he will not respond to sounds he is not trained for. I cannot just set the alarm for her on the bedroom clock. In airplane mode, it rules out some sort of signal sent to the phone and must be something internally scheduled.
  6. ukjaybrat

ukjaybrat New Member

worked for me on three different phones

wipe the cache before you go to bed
    leave on wifi, turn off volume, plug it in (in another room)
    go to bed

i've heard reports that there was something in the cache causing the phone to boot up incorrectly with the update that has spread. Don't know how much of it is true. Regardless, i wiped my ohone's cache and then let the thing run over night. I don't know if it droid-ed itself to death or if it took the update in one reset, but its been almost a week for the first phone and a few days on the other two and we havent noticed an issue since. I'll let each of you figure out how to wipe the cache on your particular device because i just realized the button sequences are different depending on your device (just make sure you dont do a factory reset instead of wiping cache. you will lose everything including installed apps). Good luck.
  7. mi4teaching

mi4teaching New Member

Update with Reboot at 2:00 am

My husband and I both received the update on the same day and we both have the same problem. I have lost a lot of sleep and I found this forum over the weekend and I did a factory format on July 7, 2012. The factory reset didn't fix the problem. So, I searched and found this forum. So, today I called provider and gave info and this early morning I've now formatted the SD-Card (not on phone) but on computer so card would be completely clean (including hidden files).

This problem of rebooting from 2:00 am (I literally watched this happen from 2-3 am) and it rebooted 30 times. Every 2 minutes I heard Droid!

I witnessed that the issue disables the Wifi and disables all applications. The only way to keep the rebooting from happening is if your phone is off. I followed the directions of one person in the forum BrandonBob. I will find out if SD format fixes problem but I really don't want to hear Droid any longer! I will soon find out what happens tonight!
  8. mi4teaching

mi4teaching New Member

Time different once

This morning after midnight, I believe my husbands phone Droided me awake! It could be that I just woke up because I had to listen to this since the update. However, at 2 am the cycle of Droid occurred until my husband finally had to take the battery out because he couldn't get the thing to stop looping to turn it off. To many sleepless nights!
  9. RonNona

RonNona New Member

One more data point. My wife does not have a SD card, she is deaf so no music ;). So that rules out something on the SD card.
  10. knottphreak

knottphreak New Member

could be the backup assistant

I haven't tried this yet, because I am at work, but I've done some research and it seems what could be causing this is the Backup Assistant that came with the update. I've found a way to remove it, but your phone needs to be rooted.

The phone might be restarting from 2-5/6:30 AM because that's when the BA turns on to back up everything - EVERY night, even if files haven't changed. People have been getting outrageous data usages that are only viewable via their online accounts- not My Verizon app you can install and use on your phone for a quick glance at data usages -- and the running time for the data use is consistently from 2AM until morning, at reccurring intervals, the same times each night.

How to Remove Verizon Back-up Assistant from LG Ally (or other Android Phones) | Eagle4life69.com

you can also go through settings into accounts and sync and uncheck Automatic Syncing, and you can force stop backup assistant sync services from manage apps. However, you cannot manually delete BA from the phone unless you try the rooting mentioned above - and the BA will restart every time you reboot your phone (you will have to force stop/clear data after each reboot).
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  11. droidusertoo

droidusertoo New Member

UPDATE: I too did not do a factor reset, did not delete any apps, but simply set the phone to silent. When the update 1st appeared for me, I initially asked it to remind me later. I did this a couple times before actually doing the update. I plug my phone in at night, every night. The 1st night after the update, it was 2am (central time) when my phone began the wonderful DROOOOID reboot. Every time it started, I grabbed the phone and played with it, thinking I would see what was causing the problem. This happened 2 nights in a row. I have no newly installed apps, and I didn't play with the wifi, internet or cache. By night 3, I simply set the phone to silent and let it run its course while I had Droid-free dreams. I've been using my phone since then with no issues at all. :)

12. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

We turn my wife's phone to silent every night. I don't sleep well anyway so everytime I wake up starting at 2am est I still see the lights of the reboot! I've also tried to play with the phone while this is happening to see if I can fix it, but it reboots while I'm using it. I've heard a lot of people talking about the backup assistant but I've been so frustrated with the whole thing that I haven't looked into that yet..... Oh well till I do, silent is the way for me to go! :)
  13. mi4teaching

mi4teaching New Member

software update #'s

My husband and I have the same software numbers as your wife. FYI, Build 4.08.605.15 CL389630 and Software version 4.08.605.15

We have the update and we are still rebooting.
  14. mi4teaching

mi4teaching New Member

SD Card & Download folder

This didn't work for me! I'm on to the figure this out!
  15. Melr2

Melr2 New Member

Update

Just an update: ten days now and all is well. I wonder if others are even trying to let it run its course or if that simply didn't work for them?
  16. grif

grif New Member

Received the update a while back and for the first couple nights it was rebooting at 2 am and woke me up so i shut it down. Then i heard to just let it do its thing, so i turned it on silent, and i was problem free for around a week or two until the other night when it did it again (2 nights in a row). I'm just getting into the habit now of turning it to silent each night when i go to bed. I use it as an alarm every morning, and the alarm still works even when i turn it on silent and it does its rebooting thing in the middle of the night. I'm going to keep putting it on silent each night until they get a fix out there...
  17. knottphreak

knottphreak New Member

problem solved (?)

My phone also was rebooting when I wanted to use apps that required the backup assistant, like whenever I tried to start up my vznavigator. I didn't go through the trouble of rooting my phone or anything fancy - so far, all I've done is go to Settings-> Applications-> Manage -> Running -> select the Sync Service and Force Stop it. I also went into my Settings-> Accounts & Sync-> and turned off syncingBackground Data which prevents apps like the backup assistant from automatically turning on my 3G and syncing data. I haven't had any late night DROOOIDING or any rebooting to speak of for 2 night (& 3 days). Hopefully this helps other people experiencing this 2 am rebooting issue.
    I have the same exact problem everyone else here has been having - new software update and BAM! Constant 2 am til 5am rebooting and while using certain apps. I've tried the whole "try to get your phone to complete he update by hanging he time to force the rest of he update" only to find that that was not the case since my phone was already updated completely. This seems to be a backup assistant related issue.
  18. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

I have definitely tried to let it run the course. We leave the phone on silent every night now hoping something will work. I think it is time for my wife to start looking for a new phone.
  19. ktmoutlaw

ktmoutlaw Member

I still have the problem and more recently it killed my alarm to get up. Not only that but I had it set to vibrate not silent and the dang screen light was bright as heck!

Has anyone been able to get it to stop by turning off the back up assistant?

Update for me shutting off auto sync and stopping background data DID NOT STOP THE REBOOT
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  20. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Member

I think HTC should give us new Incredible 4G's for our troubles!
Search tags for this page
droid incredible 2 keeps rebooting
droid incredible 4g keeps rebooting
droid incredible not updating software
droid incredible software update problems

htc droid incredible keeps rebooting

htc droid incredible keeps restarting

htc incredible keeps rebooting

htc incredible rebooting at night

my droid incredible 2 keeps rebooting
my droid incredible keeps rebooting
rebooting droid incredible