Reboot or freeze up issues

speaker2thedead

Reaction score
Just had another hard reboot during a phone call.

Edit: 10 minutes later had a soft reset. Phone was sitting idle for at least 3 minutes, but had a new text message when it booted back up.

Last edited:

black68gtx

Reaction score
I had problems installing. After the zip installed my X was overtaken by the Liberty theme and all of my apps (droidX bootstap, droid overclock, etc) did not show up. The X was as if it was fresh from the factory except for the liberty theme.
I removed the install...all is back to normal. Did I miss a step in the install below?

Install:
make sure you have root and clockworks recovery installed
-boot into recovery via clockworks bootstrap
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back "powerbutton"
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select LibertyX/2-X.X.zip
-reboot

speaker2thedead

Reaction score
I had problems installing. After the zip installed my X was overtaken by the Liberty theme and all of my apps (droidX bootstap, droid overclock, etc) did not show up. The X was as if it was fresh from the factory except for the liberty theme.
I removed the install...all is back to normal. Did I miss a step in the install below?

Install:
make sure you have root and clockworks recovery installed
-boot into recovery via clockworks bootstrap
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select "Yes -- delete all data"
-go back "powerbutton"
-select "install zip from sdcard"
-select "choose zip from sdcard"
-find and select LibertyX/2-X.X.zip
-reboot

On a fresh install of liberty, those options like bootstrap and OC are going to be in your toolbox, not in the app drawer. If you purchased droid overclock from the market before installing liberty, it will have to be downloaded again from the market, but use one or the other, not both. When you wiped all the data, you wiped the phone factory clean, and that's why you are not seeing your apps if I understand you correctly.

speaker2thedead

Reaction score
Do I really need to wipe "data/factory reset"? Will Titanium, Barnicle need to be reloaded as well (new to this)?

To answer your questions, yes. But this thread is for specific problems for those of us with liberty already installed. this would better be answered at the following link.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/127285-loading-rom-newbie.html

last note, I would not use titanium for reinstalling apps from an other rom, and unless I am very outdated, barnicle still uses ad hoc, where wireless tether for root users is infrastructure mode. I would go with the latter.

black68gtx

Reaction score
I have liberty V1.1.2 currently running...I loaded v1.5 yesterday and had many of the same issues as I am ready about here. I restored back with V1.1.2 loaded.
I guess I'll wait to load the newer version.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
My phone was randomly rebooting also. I finally figured out it was overclocking using ultra low voltage was the cause. Wanted to share my troubleshooting steps and hopefully somebody who's dealing with this issue out there will be able to benefit from it.

When I was having the reboot issue, my phone was so tricked out with themes, overclocking/underclocking, throttle mod, tether mod, sysctl changes, etc, that I had no idea what could be causing the reboots. I decided to start over from scratch but to only add one thing back at a time and did not install/change anything else until I was confident it wasn't rebooting anymore. This is important so I can determine if the last change/add-on I did was causing the issue or not.

So, here were my steps. The order I chosed were in the order of what was most important to me:

1. Went back to stock MotoBlur. Wanted to know if my phone hardware was OK.
  2. Wiped data/cache and flashed Liberty 1.5 - did not use Titanium Backup or anything else but Google to restore my contacts and apps.
  3. Restored SMS, call logs, and data for important 3rd party apps using Titanium Backup.
  4. Installed wireless tether mod.
  5. Installed data throttling mod.
  6. Overclocked/undervolt my phone - (Blam! Reboots happened and I had to fiddle with settings until it was stable again)
  7. Install Blur camera
  8. Applied sysctl changes.
  9. Applied theme (Honeycomb for Liberty 1.5!!)

I ended not having to use the test fix included in this thread. My phone was rebooting 2-3 times a day so it took me about 3-4 days to get through this list. I admit that this was a big pain in the ass, but in the end, I got my tricked out phone running the ROM I wanted back working again.

Hope this helps somebody out there. Shame if I wrote this long post for nothing! :biggrin:

speaker2thedead

Reaction score
My phone was randomly rebooting also. I finally figured out it was overclocking using ultra low voltage was the cause. Wanted to share my troubleshooting steps and hopefully somebody who's dealing with this issue out there will be able to benefit from it.

When I was having the reboot issue, my phone was so tricked out with themes, overclocking/underclocking, throttle mod, tether mod, sysctl changes, etc, that I had no idea what could be causing the reboots. I decided to start over from scratch but to only add one thing back at a time and did not install/change anything else until I was confident it wasn't rebooting anymore. This is important so I can determine if the last change/add-on I did was causing the issue or not.

So, here were my steps. The order I chosed were in the order of what was most important to me:

2. Wiped data/cache and flashed Liberty 1.5 - did not use Titanium Backup or anything else but Google to restore my contacts and apps.
  3. Restored SMS, call logs, and data for important 3rd party apps using Titanium Backup.
  6. Overclocked/undervolt my phone - (Blam! Reboots happened and I had to fiddle with settings until it was stable again)
  7. Install Blur camera

I ended not having to use the test fix included in this thread. My phone was rebooting 2-3 times a day so it took me about 3-4 days to get through this list. I admit that this was a big pain in the ass, but in the end, I got my tricked out phone running the ROM I wanted back working again.

Hope this helps somebody out there. Shame if I wrote this long post for nothing! :biggrin:

Ill piggy back on this. After patch install, I have already had three reboots, and a freeze. Ill follow the same steps, (with maybe the exception of the theme) and Ill post back with results.

msu

Reaction score
Well I was having all kinds of issues after installing 1.5. Freeze ups and reboots. I installed this and has seemed to have fixed it. I guess a little time will tell.

I guess I have one questions and I know I didn't do this when I installed 1.5.
Why do you have to mount before installing?

Brotherjay72

Reaction score
Sadly enough after flashing the Liberty Test zip, reboots are back. Screen goes black, then reboots like 2-5 min later. Haven't found a solution. I really enjoyed this ROM but unfortunately may have to try another ROM. DANG! Liberty 1.5 Linear Thought it may be my overclock but even after going back to stock settings still reboots. May try TranQ or Darkslide heard Darkslide was awesome.

Sent from an OG with an OC DX Liberty 1.5 all day!

validoption

Reaction score
Still get reboots and freezes on a freshly flashed, freshly sbf'd liberty with no overclocking or undervolting. The only consistency I have seen is it happens around 40% battery life, which isn't anything to really base a conclusion upon.

7. Install Blur camera

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

7. Install Blur camera

Ill piggy back on this. After patch install, I have already had three reboots, and a freeze. Ill follow the same steps, (with maybe the exception of the theme) and Ill post back with results.

LOL the theme is optional. Good luck! Hopefully, you'll be able to figure this out!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Still get reboots and freezes on a freshly flashed, freshly sbf'd liberty with no overclocking or undervolting. The only consistency I have seen is it happens around 40% battery life, which isn't anything to really base a conclusion upon.

7. Install Blur camera

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Does your phone run fine using stock MotoBlur?

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Since using this I've had 3 reboots during phone calls. I've never had that happen before but overall it does reboot less often now than before but rebooting during a phone call is not a good trade off...

msu

Reaction score
Well it has been two days since I installed and I'm still getting reboots and random force closes. My X rang last night and just rebooted?? When to see the weather in Beautiful Widgets and force close.
I might just got back to 1.0 if it keeps up.