Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I have similar problem for the longest time. Finally just formatted it while mounted on my Windows 7 system. Using a smaller cluster size (16kb) seemed to work well for me.

Previously, whenever I mount and dismount the phone sd card drive on my computer, it will perform a soft reset. I have yet to get it to do that. And for some reason, the phone's performance improved in not too obvious ways. Battery life seemed to be better, and overall performance faster.
I'd imagine it's running a bit cooler as well without the ECC kicking in constantly.

bigfire

Reaction score
I have similar problem for the longest time. Finally just formatted it while mounted on my Windows 7 system. Using a smaller cluster size (16kb) seemed to work well for me.

Previously, whenever I mount and dismount the phone sd card drive on my computer, it will perform a soft reset. I have yet to get it to do that. And for some reason, the phone's performance improved in not too obvious ways. Battery life seemed to be better, and overall performance faster.
I'd imagine it's running a bit cooler as well without the ECC kicking in constantly.

Yes. It seemed to run cooler.

Myric

Reaction score
Worked Wonderfully!

I've been having this same problem, and no one has been able to help. I read this thread.... admittedly, didn't understand most of it.... and changed the format setting on my computer to a smaller kb and it worked like a charm! My music started to load on the card and the phone stopped doing the reset.

Thus far it's been delaying a little bit - is that normal? Considering I have no technical skill, but I can change the kb number in the format window, is there a different number I can try for formating? I think I used 32kb.

OP
S

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I've been having this same problem, and no one has been able to help. I read this thread.... admittedly, didn't understand most of it.... and changed the format setting on my computer to a smaller kb and it worked like a charm! My music started to load on the card and the phone stopped doing the reset.

Thus far it's been delaying a little bit - is that normal? Considering I have no technical skill, but I can change the kb number in the format window, is there a different number I can try for formating? I think I used 32kb.

You can use most any number you want :) Probably only powers of 2 (32kb, 16kb, 8kb, 4kb, 2kb, etc) Try a few out and see which one you like best.

The limitation is that when you mount the card, you need to have enough available memory to contain the File Allocation Table (FAT) for the file system check (fsck).

The tradeoffs: If you pick a smaller cluster size, there will be more clusters, and a larger FAT as a result. If you pick a large cluster size, there will be fewer clusters, and a smaller FAT. A cluster is the smallest size that can be allocated to a file. So if you have a file smaller than that, it will take up an entire cluster. So you end up "wasting" some space if you have a lot of small files. Conversely, if you have mostly LARGE files, the amount of overhead you save by using fewer clusters more than makes up for the amount you lose when you only need part of a cluster for the file.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Delaying". Do you mean that when you re-mount the card, it takes a long time? Or while it is running normally it's sluggish? If it's just a lot of time on the re-mount, that is pretty normal. You can connect with ADB and run logcat to see what it is doing when it delays - chances are it's just that the fsck takes awhile to run.

Myric

Reaction score

You can use most any number you want :) Probably only powers of 2 (32kb, 16kb, 8kb, 4kb, 2kb, etc) Try a few out and see which one you like best.

The limitation is that when you mount the card, you need to have enough available memory to contain the File Allocation Table (FAT) for the file system check (fsck).

The tradeoffs: If you pick a smaller cluster size, there will be more clusters, and a larger FAT as a result. If you pick a large cluster size, there will be fewer clusters, and a smaller FAT. A cluster is the smallest size that can be allocated to a file. So if you have a file smaller than that, it will take up an entire cluster. So you end up "wasting" some space if you have a lot of small files. Conversely, if you have mostly LARGE files, the amount of overhead you save by using fewer clusters more than makes up for the amount you lose when you only need part of a cluster for the file.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Delaying". Do you mean that when you re-mount the card, it takes a long time? Or while it is running normally it's sluggish? If it's just a lot of time on the re-mount, that is pretty normal. You can connect with ADB and run logcat to see what it is doing when it delays - chances are it's just that the fsck takes awhile to run.

It does take a longer time to re-mount, but not too much longer, so I'm fine with that. When I turned it on this morning it would take a few presses of a button to get an app to open, and it kept opening the music randomly, but I restarted the phone and now it seems to be working quite well. dancedroid

Thanks for the help! You saved me a trip to the rather confused and mildly unhelpful guy at my local Verizon store!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out 7. I have been here long enough to know that when you have problems and post for help, they are probably pretty complicated:)

I have the sandisk 32, and have had no problems. I tried the unmount remount with no issues. And to Myric, my card does take a bit longer than my older 16 for the icon to go away. I have seen a little wierdness with my desk dock, the spinner indicating unmounting sort of hangs, and the occasional need to force a redraw in LP to "unstick" landscape. What I have found with this card and my 16, when booting or docking/undocking, I don't touch a thing until the mount icon goes away. It takes a few extra seconds, but my 32 has not caused me any real issues (and I was sweating it when I bought it).

Craig