Reason for rooting?

SpaceballOne

Reaction score
I have a stock Razr Maxx, that I'm fairly happy with. I rooted my previous HTC phone in order to use some non-approved apps, but on my DRM, I can do everything I need to do. The only two things I'm annoyed by is that the home button doesn't take me directly back to my center home screen and some games & bloatware that I can't get rid of.

So other than the possibility of fixing those two items, is there anything else that I would gain by rooting? My only other complaint is that the phone has gotten really slow over the last month or two. I just cleared my cache and limited background applications to 4, so we'll see if that improves performance any. I don't know that rooting would improve performance all that much, but if it would then I'd do it..

Thoughts?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Rooting itself wouldn't help performance. However, it would allow you to flash custom ROMs which would. But as you said, if you are happy with your phone for the most part then there is no real need to root. There are benefits but don't do it just to do it. That's my opinion, and of course I root every phone I can as soon as its possible lol. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

aarong03

Reaction score
I have a stock Razr Maxx, that I'm fairly happy with. I rooted my previous HTC phone in order to use some non-approved apps, but on my DRM, I can do everything I need to do. The only two things I'm annoyed by is that the home button doesn't take me directly back to my center home screen and some games & bloatware that I can't get rid of.

So other than the possibility of fixing those two items, is there anything else that I would gain by rooting? My only other complaint is that the phone has gotten really slow over the last month or two. I just cleared my cache and limited background applications to 4, so we'll see if that improves performance any. I don't know that rooting would improve performance all that much, but if it would then I'd do it..

Thoughts?

I do it to shut off apps and flash custom roms. But mainly for the hotspot, and not mess around waiting for Foxfi/Pdanet to work properly. My hotspot works all the time.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only two things I'm annoyed by is that the home button doesn't take me directly back to my center home screen and.......

What version of Android are you running?
My home button returns me to my center home page......

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jtc303

Reaction score
What version of Android are you running?
My home button returns me to my center home page......

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Yea, if it doesn't take you to your homescreen where does it take you?

||Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

Reaction score
Hmmmm...Home button not taking you back to the home screen and phone getting sluggish. I would look into what apps you have installed around the time it got sluggish. Seems to me you might be better off doing a FDR than rooting it.

As far as the unwanted bloatware goes...You know you can just disable the apps you don't want?

bocabean

Reaction score
I do not think that there is any right or wrong anymore. It's just a matter of taste and how far are you willing to go to get the performance that you expect from your device. My single motivation for having rooted was the loss of Foxfi. So now it's up and running again. I can go back to stock, however I am getting much better performance on a custom rom. Therefore, for me the root was worth it. I get a kick out it when people discuss what their particular device is doing compared to someone else's.

The fact is that no two devices are exactly the same other than perhaps within the first hour after having been taken out of the box for the first time. Well maybe it should be within the first 10 minutes. I wonder if anyone has done a study on which app combinations contribute more to sluggishness and battery drain compared to others. I really do not even see how that can objectively be done.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I do not need to request another warranty replacement device before my (now voided) warranty runs out within the next two months :) That certainly is a strong point in favor of not rooting.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
I'm not going to start a new thread on a related topic.

I'm running the X-Mas JB leak. I rooted my phone perfectly fine just months ago using Matt's utility with Blaze in it.

I just recently FDR'd my phone and lost my rooting.

I ran the same Utility Matt posted to root my phone and it didn't work at all. I tried 4 times.

Suggestions? Possibly screw ups I'm doing?

Did the FDR totally screw me over?

4low4fun

Reaction score

I'm running the X-Mas JB leak. I rooted my phone perfectly fine just months ago using Matt's utility with Blaze in it.

I ran the same Utility Matt posted to root my phone and it didn't work at all. I tried 4 times.

Make sure your phone is NOT set to mass storage mode while its plugged into your computer. It took me 3 tries before I realized what the problem was! Lol x)

KaChow

Reaction score

Thoughts?

This is possibly one of the biggest reasons that I can see as why to Root. The Entitlement Hack for Verizon HotSpot. This would be my other main reason to Root with the above, http://jrummy16.com/jrummy/ad-blocker/Ad-Blocker-JRummy-Apps.apk (to download and install Ad Blocker on device, go into Settings> Security> Unknown sources check the box and install.)

4low4fun

Reaction score
I do not think that there is any right or wrong anymore. It's just a matter of taste and how far are you willing to go to get the performance that you expect from your device. My single motivation for having rooted was the loss of Foxfi. So now it's up and running again. I can go back to stock, however I am getting much better performance on a custom rom. Therefore, for me the root was worth it. I get a kick out it when people discuss what their particular device is doing compared to someone else's.

The fact is that no two devices are exactly the same other than perhaps within the first hour after having been taken out of the box for the first time. Well maybe it should be within the first 10 minutes. I wonder if anyone has done a study on which app combinations contribute more to sluggishness and battery drain compared to others. I really do not even see how that can objectively be done.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I do not need to request another warranty replacement device before my (now voided) warranty runs out within the next two months :) That certainly is a strong point in favor of not rooting.

What rom are you running that gives you that performance?

Redsnk95

Reaction score

Surprised that happened. I just did a FDR last night and did not loose root, SuperSU is a system app so it did not go away.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Make sure your phone is NOT set to mass storage mode while its plugged into your computer. It took me 3 tries before I realized what the problem was! Lol x)

Yeah I definitely made sure it wasn't in storage mode. I followed the instructions to the core just like the first time I rooted.

Surprised that happened. I just did a FDR last night and did not loose root, SuperSU is a system app so it did not go away.

SuperSU is was still on my phone after the FDR.. But rootchecker claims I'm not rooted. Even after numerous attempts.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4

ForumRunner_20130419_081504.png

The SuperSU apps there

ForumRunner_20130419_081521.png

VooDoo Rootkeep still there

ForumRunner_20130419_081534.png

Opened up SU with no problem..

ForumRunner_20130419_081545.png

But alas.. no root.