Reason for rooting?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by SpaceballOne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. SpaceballOne

SpaceballOne New Member

I have a stock Razr Maxx, that I'm fairly happy with. I rooted my previous HTC phone in order to use some non-approved apps, but on my DRM, I can do everything I need to do. The only two things I'm annoyed by is that the home button doesn't take me directly back to my center home screen and some games & bloatware that I can't get rid of.

So other than the possibility of fixing those two items, is there anything else that I would gain by rooting? My only other complaint is that the phone has gotten really slow over the last month or two. I just cleared my cache and limited background applications to 4, so we'll see if that improves performance any. I don't know that rooting would improve performance all that much, but if it would then I'd do it..

Thoughts?
  2. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Rooting itself wouldn't help performance. However, it would allow you to flash custom ROMs which would. But as you said, if you are happy with your phone for the most part then there is no real need to root. There are benefits but don't do it just to do it. That's my opinion, and of course I root every phone I can as soon as its possible lol. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  3. aarong03

aarong03 Member

I do it to shut off apps and flash custom roms. But mainly for the hotspot, and not mess around waiting for Foxfi/Pdanet to work properly. My hotspot works all the time.
  4. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

What version of Android are you running?
    My home button returns me to my center home page......

Mike
    Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  5. jtc303

jtc303 New Member

Yea, if it doesn't take you to your homescreen where does it take you?

||Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...
  6. TheDroidURLookinFor

TheDroidURLookinFor Member

Hmmmm...Home button not taking you back to the home screen and phone getting sluggish. I would look into what apps you have installed around the time it got sluggish. Seems to me you might be better off doing a FDR than rooting it.

As far as the unwanted bloatware goes...You know you can just disable the apps you don't want?
  7. bocabean

bocabean Member

I do not think that there is any right or wrong anymore. It's just a matter of taste and how far are you willing to go to get the performance that you expect from your device. My single motivation for having rooted was the loss of Foxfi. So now it's up and running again. I can go back to stock, however I am getting much better performance on a custom rom. Therefore, for me the root was worth it. I get a kick out it when people discuss what their particular device is doing compared to someone else's.

The fact is that no two devices are exactly the same other than perhaps within the first hour after having been taken out of the box for the first time. Well maybe it should be within the first 10 minutes. I wonder if anyone has done a study on which app combinations contribute more to sluggishness and battery drain compared to others. I really do not even see how that can objectively be done.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I do not need to request another warranty replacement device before my (now voided) warranty runs out within the next two months :) That certainly is a strong point in favor of not rooting.
  8. Likwid_E

Likwid_E Member

I'm not going to start a new thread on a related topic.

I'm running the X-Mas JB leak. I rooted my phone perfectly fine just months ago using Matt's utility with Blaze in it.

I just recently FDR'd my phone and lost my rooting.

I ran the same Utility Matt posted to root my phone and it didn't work at all. I tried 4 times.

Suggestions? Possibly screw ups I'm doing?

Did the FDR totally screw me over?
  9. 4low4fun

4low4fun New Member

Make sure your phone is NOT set to mass storage mode while its plugged into your computer. It took me 3 tries before I realized what the problem was! Lol x)
    1 person likes this.
  10. KaChow

KaChow Guest

This is possibly one of the biggest reasons that I can see as why to Root. The Entitlement Hack for Verizon HotSpot. This would be my other main reason to Root with the above, http://jrummy16.com/jrummy/ad-blocker/Ad-Blocker-JRummy-Apps.apk (to download and install Ad Blocker on device, go into Settings> Security> Unknown sources check the box and install.)
    1 person likes this.
  11. 4low4fun

4low4fun New Member

What rom are you running that gives you that performance?
  12. bocabean

bocabean Member

Aviator 3.02

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
  13. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Surprised that happened. I just did a FDR last night and did not loose root, SuperSU is a system app so it did not go away.
    1 person likes this.
  14. Likwid_E

Likwid_E Member

Yeah I definitely made sure it wasn't in storage mode. I followed the instructions to the core just like the first time I rooted.

SuperSU is was still on my phone after the FDR.. But rootchecker claims I'm not rooted. Even after numerous attempts.
  15. Likwid_E

Likwid_E Member

ForumRunner_20130419_081504.png

The SuperSU apps there

ForumRunner_20130419_081521.png

VooDoo Rootkeep still there

ForumRunner_20130419_081534.png

Opened up SU with no problem..

ForumRunner_20130419_081545.png

But alas.. no root.
  16. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Hmm..I don't use a root checker or anything like that. I only use Root for the WiFi tether app by Muellers. I re-downloaded the WiFi tether app, it checked for superuser permission and it was granted and works just fine.
  17. KaChow

KaChow Guest

SuperSU still needs SuperUser permission to run, but follow the below, and I will get your Root back.

This is an easy fix... Go into the first SuperUser app that you have the one with Android with the "eye patch", then slide the screen to the left,> look for the "su binary v1.xx:SUPERSU" below that tap the screen on "tap to check for updates" this is updating the binaries. If this goes through and you receive a message at the bottom of the screen says something like, "that was cool do it again." Then success and you have root.

If you receive an error and will not go through, download this app SuperUser Update Fixer , then run this app, So you are aware this app will not work, it will remove the bad installation of SuperUser, then go into the playstore or download this link for SuperUser, which go ahead and install it, open it slide the screen to the left and update the binaries, which this is the "tap to check for updates", approve whatever pop-ups and you should see the, "that was cool do it again" message (of course no need to do that as Root is back in order.) Then you can setup SuperSU, click the continue option. I also suggest installing a copy of Busybox it works nicely with SuperUser and SuperSU, here is the link for Busybox.
    1 person likes this.
  18. Likwid_E

Likwid_E Member

Hey there. Thanks for the instructions. I followed through with everything that you said, in order, but then received this message when trying to update the binaries. First error when trying the app on it's own. Then the same error after downloading the following two apps you listed to fix it....

ForumRunner_20130420_191513.png

?!
  19. KaChow

KaChow Guest

First, you have SuperUser app that has an icon "#_" which if I am correct that is troubleshooting SU app, that was not developed by Chainfire, if I am correct delete it.

After it is deleted go into Chainfire's SU app, slide the screen to the left, and tap to update the binaries, if it fails to get root, do it again, 3 times.

Then go through the process of installing the SuperUser Update Fixer and force the installation, force it untill the SuperUser app gets removed from the app drawer.

Then go into the Playstore and download a new SuperUser, and slide the screen to the left and update the binaries, try this at least 3 times.

Here is something else you may be able to try download SuperSU If you are able to get into this app, slide the screen to the right to Settings, nearly 3/4ths of the page down under System, look for Install SuperSU into /System and select it. If it goes through check the app drawer see if SuperUser is still there, if it is not, download it from the Playstore and install it, update the binaries.

If all else fails, this is an excellent solution:

If you have Safestrap installed on your device, and an earlier backup where SuperUser is installed on your device> Reboot device, go into Safestrap and Restore the earlier sesson. Root is restored, update binaries.

If not, and none of these items work, then you may want to consider gaining root all over again.
    1 person likes this.
  20. Likwid_E

Likwid_E Member

I tried everything you mentioned at least 4 times. Nothing has worked.

I did how ever, get the Superuser to do "That was cool, do it again!" after repeatedly pressing it. I thought I had it! But then I checked, and still no root... o_O the hell?

I do not have Safestrap.

I just downloaded the RAZR Blade Utility that I used in the first place to root my device and we'll see if this even works.
Search tags for this page
call recorder for droid razr
how to install supersu into /system
install super su into /system

install supersu into /system

install supersu into system

install supersu into system from phone
is it good to install supersu into system
my cache button doesnt work on my droid maxx hd.
reason to root droid razr maxx hd
reason to root razr maxx hd
should i install supersu into /system
should i install supersu into system?
why install supersu into system
why install supersu into system app
xt912 unlock rom