really want a droid x but can't justify it

cttooch

Reaction score
hello everyone

I really want a droid x. I am constantly reading the forum and other sites regarding android phones. I have a side photo business that I am trying to get off the ground and really think a phone of this caliber would help. I currently have a blackberry for my day time job but just think I could really use a personal phone that can do more.

I am just having a hard time justifying taking on a over $60 a month phone bill while I am getting my blackberry paid for at my daytime job. Am I crazy for wanting another phone? What are some of the key points of the X that can help someone that has a small side business.

gaga

Reaction score
hello everyone

I really want a droid x. I am constantly reading the forum and other sites regarding android phones. I have a side photo business that I am trying to get off the ground and really think a phone of this caliber would help. I currently have a blackberry for my day time job but just think I could really use a personal phone that can do more.

I am just having a hard time justifying taking on a over $60 a month phone bill while I am getting my blackberry paid for at my daytime job. Am I crazy for wanting another phone? What are some of the key points of the X that can help someone that has a small side business.

I think Verizon has a cheaper data/e-mail only plan that might suit you if you do not need voice.

I just checked and its only a tad cheaper.

For 3G Smartphones
$54.99 monthly access for the deaf or hard of hearing
Plan includes:
Unlimited Messaging
Unlimited Web Browsing
Unlimited Data Usage
Unlimited Personal Email
Voice Per Minute Rate $0.25

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What features on the X do you want that the Blackberry doesn't have?

OP
C

cttooch

Reaction score
the problem with my blackberry is that my day job has a lot of stuff blocked on it. i can't even download the normal facebook app on there. I have just read a lot about the X and it seems like an awesome device to have. i guess I have become a little obsessed about it. everyone on this site is very knowledgeable and i am just amazed at how much this phone could do. i guess there really isn't a good reason where i should get the X i just want to see what you guys thought

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it's just facebook that you want it probably isn't worth 60 bucks a month

OP
C

cttooch

Reaction score
sorry for the confusion. i was just giving an example of a simple app like facebook and they had it blocked. i pretty much can't download anything on my work phone. i can't even send a text message

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Since you mentioned a photography business you might want to consider a tablet device instead. You can get cheaper data plans in many cases and will have a device that can show off your portfolio to better advantage than a phone.

At the risk of being boooed, I'll say the iPad is already a decent choice.

Give it a couple months and you should also have a few Android tablets to choose from, though I give it closer to 6 months before there are enough compelling apps for them to compete head to head with the iPad as a useful photography tool. That said they will probably have a decent picture/slideshow app out of the box. All the web browsing, email, and other social apps will be there, if not immediately then quickly after.

{cheapness being highly dependent on a person's ability to live with a limited data plan}

kevinkar

Reaction score
I had a phone paid for by my employer but it had no data plan, no picture mail, a limited amount of minutes, and was just too restrictive in my opinion. Because I didn't want any restrictions, I dumped the company phone and bought a new Droid X (could have been any other Android smartphone, really...)

To me, the unrestricted access is worth the cost for at least a couple of years.