Really strange media problem..had it on Fission and now GummyJar.

trebb

Reaction score
Basically no types of media will work.

- When I attempt to play a video I recorded a while ago, I get "Sorry, this video cannot be played."
- When I attempt to use Pandora, it says, "Sorry, I'm unable to retrieve music from Pandora.com"
- When I attempt to play a youtube video using the youtube app... "There was a problem while playing, touch to retry."
- If I try and play a trailer with the Flixster app, "Sorry, this video cannot be played."
- While attempting to play an mp3 with the music app (that worked previously), it says: Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file."
- The Amazon MP3 store won't play previews.

Basically...nothing audio/video works. I have a data connection - my internet and everything else works fine. I've even tried wifi. It's not just the data apps that won't work, though, as seen by the music app not playing my mp3s.

I have no idea what could be causing this! I wiped data/cache when installing GummyJar. The only thing I can think of is that I restored my apps using MyBackupPro....

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried a reboot? This is a problem that seems to persist across all roms for dx/2 users if you don't regularly reboot the phone.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
I've never encountered this issue before... don't really think it's a prevalent one. I've been on custom ROMs since flyX initially came out.

And yes, I've rebooted numerous times. I had the same issue on Fission, and then I did a complete wipe and installed gummyjar. That's enough of a reboot in itself, haha. But yes, I've rebooted.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Alright it was worth a shot lol

If I fully understood what caused the problem I could probably help more but i'm not quite sure what causes it. The only thing I can think of is to back up all of your apps using titanium and then do a factory reset. This will basically narrow the problem down to see if its a problem with restoring the apps and data from a previous rom.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
Ahhh what the freak. Haha. I was going to wipe and reinstall again and see if it worked before I restored my apps. However, my phone will now not boot into recovery. I'm using the bootstrap app like always, but it just won't do it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Did you ever update to the leak or the newest ota? Someone may be able to clarify but I believe using a newer rom on the older 2.3.15 build would break media.

Another thing to check are stragefright settings in your build prop

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Go to Settings, About Phone

Check your kernel version. If it's not one of the two below, you need to upgrade your kernel or else your media will not work with any new ROMs based on the 2.3.340 OTA.

2.6.32.9-gca645b6 (2.3.320 leak kernel)
2.6.32.9-g55626e1 (2.3.340 OTA kernel)

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
My kernel says...

2.6.32.9 - gfb07887 w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1

How do I update it?

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
Okay, I'm running 2.3.15 I'm pretty sure, with bootloader version to 3.01. I'm so confused as to what to do now, and I'm usually pretty good with this stuff. :(

JRobzilla

Reaction score
If you're on 2.3.15, other than suggesting to use the SBF to get you back to stock then take the OTA update and reflash your rom perhaps this thread might be useful to you.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/104886-team-black-hat-does-again.html

Edit: I just read where you can't get into recovery, in which case the SBF might be the way to go.

Maybe someone else can get you a different patch from 2.3.15?

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
I actually got into recovery last night. I deleted the bootstrap then reinstalled and it worked.

I'll try a bunch of methods out. Thanks guys!

OP
T

trebb

Reaction score
Got everything workin... ended up bricking my phone at some point, but I sbfed to .320 and I'm leaving it there. Thanks for all the help =)

mslashb

Reaction score
Having same problem.... any suggestions on how to proceed?

I had been running the Fission ROM with no problems but when I put on GummyJar yesterday I am now experiencing the exact same media problems you described! Do you have any advice on how I should proceed? I just tried a Factory Reset and the problem is still there, even before I reinstalled my apps (have been using Titanium Pro). Should I go back and install the GummyJar ROM again?

One of the responses mentioned updating the kernel.... my Droid X is running kernel 2.6.32.9-ga42712ew30471@il93lnxdroid08#1 and I have no idea how to update the kernel.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.