REALLY EASY / Fast way of restoring ALL APPS / call log / Texts / EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dsnotgood, Jul 10, 2010.

1. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the caps but I just stumbled upon this method and it has worked flawlessly over the past few Roms I have used it on. From Jrummy, back to BB, and whoever else's Rom you'd like to use.

1. BACKUP your entire rom through rom manager
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. wipe (as you normally should 3X ).
    4.install new rom.
    5. Goto main screen of rom manager, click Nandroid>Advanced restore>select your ROM Backup you just created> Restore data.

Voila!

New freshly installed rom, and ALL of your data just the way it was. Nothing missing and all the information from the new rom you just flashed should not be affected, since we only restored the DATA part.

Try it!

Works GREAT and makes trying newer / different roms STUPID EASY!

SO simple yet so great.

Also THANK YOU PETE for all of your hard work. It is very much appreciated.

2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, this is kind of obvious, but doesnt it defeat the purpose of even wiping data? and doesnt it give you any of the problems you would have if you didnt wipe?

but i've done it before when going from very similar roms and it works fine

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    This will work for ROMs with the same build number. If you came from 2.1 to 2.2 or vice versa you would have issues. Or if you came from a leaked system dump to a source built ROM you will probably have issues as well. Easiest way is Titanuim Backup, set it to back all apps and system data and when you flash the new ROM restore through TB.

Sent from my Droid

4. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well I like to wipe data before updating so that when its doing the update, it is a "fresh" slate, nothing left in memory.

have not run into any issues at all on any rom. Since its just data like apps and what not, it should not affect the system files from the rom when you restore.

I was looking for a easy way to restore my settings and apps without spending hours getting everything back to the way I like it. A little lazy ? I guess but theres no point in redoing everything everytime. And losing texts and call log info along the way.

Im surprised I have not seen any one post about doing this, since it works so well. Especially nice not having to re-do the home pages and the settings for notifications/email every time.

5. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In step 3 what are u selecting in recovery to wipe?

And in step 5 u must be in recovery not rom manager main screen, unless u have a diff rom manager as i have no nandroid selection in rom manager.

6. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After flashing a Rom, the market installs all my apps. Then when i use TB, i have to replace all the apps which is uh, redundant to say the least... How can i either stop the install from the market or not have to over-right each app when i use TB? Thanks in advance!

Never got an answer!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  7. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for step 3. I am wiping boot, data, system, and cache 3 times.

for step 5, I meant the first screen in rom manager in recovery. I never said reboot : )

But give my method a try, it works great!

8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't the point in doing the wipe 3 times...It's not like it get emptier....

9. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you follow my method, you wont have to. All of your data will be there when you switch roms, so no need to reinstall, or adjust settings, they will all be back.

As for stopping the auto install stuff. After you flash a rom, DO not sign into your google account (select "Skip") and it wont reinstall. Once you finish installing your apps, then sign in.

10. USCChem

USCChem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yes, it's pretty obvious that you can do that, I can pretty much guarantee that this will give you errors sometimes. It completely defeats the purpose of wiping data. You realize you're wiping it and then restoring an exact copy of the partition you wiped, right?

11. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but I do it because the devs said too and Im sure they know way more about this stuff that I could.

12. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so far I have not had any issues from doing this (The only issues I have had were rom related, that others also had so I know its not from this). and yes I do realize I am wiping then restoring again. But why not try this?

Whats there to lose? If you do have issues, just restore a backup.And if no issues, you just saved yourself a hour or so and ready to go from the start.

13. gramenz

gramenz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes!!

Congrats on getting something posted up about this. I figured this out about 6 months or so ago, and can confirm that as long as you are flashing a ROM with the same build number, it will work 95% of the time with no issues. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong in doing this as I hadn't seen a post until now. Cheers!

14. silvere2

silvere2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Imagine data like a drawing on an etch a sketch, if you shake it once then there will be little pieces of the picture you drew left over, and you need to shake it a few times to get the slate completely clean. When something is "deleted" or "wiped" it's just replaced with random data, but all the old data never gets replaced the first time. There will always be little fragments of old data leftover (called fragmentation). Which is why when deleting sensitive files off your computer (bank files off an old hard drive, etc) usually the hard drive should be wiped as many times as possible to diminish chances of the files being recovered.

Even then though, no matter how many times you wipe many times files can be recovered. As a results, the only method of destroying data authorized by the US Department of Defense is either using a degausser, which is a machine that uses magnets to scramble the data on a hard drive, or physically destroying the disks, usually using an incinerator.

15. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still await good advise!

Search tags for this page

android recover deleted call log

app to recover deleted call log
how to recover deleted call history on android

how to recover deleted call log android

how to retrieve deleted call log on android

how to retrieve deleted call log on samsung galaxy